Can a color space be batch-assigned in Bridge?

Started Mar 20, 2011 | Discussions
SirLataxe
SirLataxe Veteran Member • Posts: 3,897
Can a color space be batch-assigned in Bridge?

A number of older images I have have "unassigned" in the EXIF color-space field. These tend to show on screen as far too saturated, especially in the reds.

I can open the images one at a time in Photoshop then assign a "proper" color space, which fixes the over-saturated display effect. But I would like to assign a color space en-masse to all the images that do not already have one assigned (some hundreds).

My question: is there a method for using either Bridge of Photoshop (CS5) itself to assign a color space to these images in a single batch operation, without opening each one in turn? I cannot find a way to get the Bridge File Info dialogue to give me any editing capabilities on the color space field, even for a single image let alone a batch of them.

Any tips will be gratefully recieved.

SirLataxe

Doug R Senior Member • Posts: 1,471
Re: Can a color space be batch-assigned in Bridge?

Create a Action in photoshop that converts to sRGB not assigns and then select photos in bridge and tools> photoshop> batch and run the action.
--
Doug

joey_B
joey_B Veteran Member • Posts: 3,080

Or you could use ExifTool (in combination with ExiftoolGUI), to incorporate an ICC-profile into an image.

phototransformations
phototransformations Senior Member • Posts: 2,846

Do you know how to do this directly, instead of thrugh the ExiftoolGUI? Then it would could be a simple command-line execution in a batch file.

joey_B wrote:

Or you could use ExifTool (in combination with ExiftoolGUI), to incorporate an ICC-profile into an image.

phototransformations's gear list:phototransformations's gear list
Samsung TL500 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G3 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS +25 more
Ronny Harris Veteran Member • Posts: 7,155

In Photoshop, File> Scripts> Image Processor. One of the options for saving as jpgs is Convert to sRGB. You can also resize your photos by checking resize to fit and place the max H and W you want like 700 pix for each, etc.

Ronny

phototransformations
Auto-assigning a color space in ACR based on EXIF?

Recently started using RAW files with my Samsung TL500/EX1 and ACR appears to always assign to them the most recently chosen color space and bit depth, regardless of which color space is indicated in the EXIF. Is there some way to tell it to pay attention to the EXIF color space automatically, as Photoshop itself seems to do?

Until the TL500, I was satisfied with enough with the JPEG output of my cameras so I rarely bothered with RAW, but with the TL500, the RAW is far superior to the JPEG so I'm mostly shooting RAW, now.

Thanks!

Samsung TL500 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G3 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS +25 more
Ronny Harris Veteran Member • Posts: 7,155
Re: Auto-assigning a color space in ACR based on EXIF?

Not that I know of.

As far as the TL500/EX1, I bought my wife one of those for Christmas and it is a neat little camera. We fight over who gets to use it! My DSLR is jealous.

Ronny

JJMacks
JJMacks Forum Pro • Posts: 10,528

phototransformations wrote:

Recently started using RAW files with my Samsung TL500/EX1 and ACR appears to always assign to them the most recently chosen color space and bit depth

Yes ACR remembers the last setting you set for color space and bit depth and will continue to use those setting you set till you change setting. RAW data is not an RGB image thus it has no color space and raw Pixels data are a single luminosity value depending on the sensor the values may be I think 10, 12 or 14 bit values. The EXIF data in a raw file is more for the 8bit embedded Jpeg RGB image and camera settings. ACR may use some of the EXIF values as default starting point Color space is not one of them and there is no camera color bit depth setting. In camera jpeg images are 8bit RGB images for jpeg format only support for 8bit.

regardless of which color space is indicated in the EXIF. Is there some way to tell it to pay attention to the EXIF color space automatically, as Photoshop itself seems to do?

Photoshop uses the ACR Plugin to Process RAW Files and it does not set the Camera's Jpeg color space setting into ACR plugin dialog. Convert the RAW data onto a RGB image in the color space and color depth you need for an Image

-- hide signature --

JJMack

JJMacks's gear list:JJMacks's gear list
Canon EOS-1D Mark II Canon EOS-1D Mark IV Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS USM Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM +3 more
phototransformations

Okay, that confirms my experience. Maybe I wasn't clear in my last post. I don't think there's anything technically impossible about ACR using the EXIF info in the RAW file to choose a color space to open the RAW file in. Photoshop itself reads the EXIF color space information from JPEG files and then automatically opens them in that color space, though no ICC profile is embedded in these files. Since ACR has access to the EXIF color space information as well, it could use it, but it doesn't. Perhaps it will in another release.

As for bit depth, I get that it simply uses the last one selected. It would be nice to just leave this at 16 (or 8) and have ACR choose the color space the camera indicates in the EXIF.

JJMacks
JJMacks Forum Pro • Posts: 10,528

phototransformations wrote:

Perhaps it will in another release.

I don't think you'll ever see that for it makes no sense to. No Camera can be set to ProPhoto Color a space that many want to use they would need to change the setting every single time they used ACR. Adobe LR will default its RAW conversion tp ProPhoto if one choose 16 bit color. Its best to let the user make the setting. If they process everything in ProPhoto, Adobe RGB or sRGB they only have to make the setting once the first time they use ACR. If they have different requirement for a use of an image their work-flow would include a step that checked the color space setting was the color space they want to process in.

-- hide signature --

JJMack

JJMacks's gear list:JJMacks's gear list
Canon EOS-1D Mark II Canon EOS-1D Mark IV Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS USM Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM +3 more
phototransformations

What would be best, I think, is to let the user decide whether he wants ACR to read the EXIF color space and assign it to the image or to default to the last used color space, as it currently does. That way people who work like you do and people who work like I do can both be satisfied.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads