HS20 with teleconverter

Started Mar 18, 2011 | Discussions
markgregory New Member • Posts: 10
HS20 with teleconverter

Found this review of the HS20

Of special interest to some may be the Raynox Teleconverter fitted

http://www.safari-guide.co.uk/fujifilm-finepix-hs20exr-digital-camera-review.php

Billx08 Forum Pro • Posts: 11,373
HS20 maybe. DCR-2025 TC, definitely no.

markgregory wrote:

Found this review of the HS20

Of special interest to some may be the Raynox Teleconverter fitted

http://www.safari-guide.co.uk/fujifilm-finepix-hs20exr-digital-camera-review.php

This is one of the worst reviews I've ever seen. It includes no real tests and only anecdotal comments were used to embellish Fuji's and Raynox's marketing materials. It seems that the website's main purpose is to sell safari tours and probably thinks that encouraging prospective customers to buy the kind of expensive DSLRs and better lenses that are most often used by all but casual tourists might put them off from signing up for a safari. So inexpensive cameras are what he recommends. It's also inexcusable to recommend a camera before it's actually available, other than to check it out briefly at trade shows.

Consider the Raynox 2.2x TC. It's really a terrible TC, but when he quotes Raynox's brochure :

Using the latest in computer-aided-design and manufacturing (CAD/CAM) and high-index/low-dispersion optical glasses, structural polymer barrel materials and exotic anti-reflection coatings, Raynox make some of the best Teleconverter lenses available.

He doesn't mention that this is far from being the "latest in computer-aided-design and manufacturing". It's a very old TC, one that I intended to get many years ago to use with my 3mp and 4mp cameras. It was unavailable at that time from local camera dealers that sold some of Raynox's other products, so I didn't get one then. But about a month or so ago I noticed that things had changed and now it was available, so even though I already have Sony's 1758 (1.7x, 58mm thread) TC that I've used with the HS10, I thought I'd try Raynox's 2.2x TC, also with the S100fs.

What I found was that where the Sony TC provides slightly better resolution, the Raynox TC greatly reduces the resolution, and images shot without the TC have pretty good detail at maximum focal length, but when the Raynox was used (on a good tripod, of course) the TC's images shown side-by-side were extremely blurry in comparison. The camera had no problem focusing, it's just that the DCR-2025Pro is really an inferior product. You can see this by working out the math to see what you'd get from its "High-Resolution 260-Line/mm" with different size sensors.

The S100fs has a 2/3" sensor which is about 8.8mm x 6.6mm. The HS20EXR has a smaller 1/2" sensor, about 6.4mm x 4.8mm. If they had pixels spaced at the DCR-2025's 260 lines/mm, the S100fs would have a 2288x1716 pixel sensor, about 3.8mp, and the HS20 would have a 1664x1248 pixel sensor, roughly 2mp. Is it any wonder that the Raynox DCR-2025 produces very poor images? On old 4mp cameras with relatively large sensors, the 2025 would be a useful TC. On today's higher resolution cameras it's a total failure, and on the HS20 it would not only be wasted money, it would produce vastly inferior images. I suggest that if you want to learn how good or bad the HS20 is, wait for a competent reviewer to put it through its paces, not a safari shill that's not much more than another link in the marketing chain.

Stephen McDonald
Stephen McDonald Forum Pro • Posts: 13,908
Re: HS20 maybe. DCR-2025 TC, definitely no.

Actually, the Raynox 2.2X telextender is very high quality for the money. But the model that would likely be used on a camera like this, is very large and weighs almost 10 oz (250 gm.). I can't imagine putting it on an HS20 without a lens adaptor tube, which isn't available as far as I know.
--
Steve McDonald
http://www.flickr.com/photos/22121562@N00/
http://www.vimeo.com/user458315/videos

http://video.yahoo.com/people/4019627

Billx08 Forum Pro • Posts: 11,373

Stephen McDonald wrote:

Actually, the Raynox 2.2X telextender is very high quality for the money. But the model that would likely be used on a camera like this, is very large and weighs almost 10 oz (250 gm.). I can't imagine putting it on an HS20 without a lens adaptor tube, which isn't available as far as I know.

I can't agree that the 2025Pro is high quality for the money. For $75 maybe, but it sells for $200. You're right, it is very large, but Sony's much smaller VCL-DH1758 actually weighs more (256 gm), fits the HS10 pretty well and unlike the 2025Pro, produces slightly more detail, not a lot less. Nikon's made an old 1.7x TC that used ED glass, weighed a lot more than these two, and produced much better images on various P&S cameras. Not surprising since it cost almost twice as much as the Raynox. Raynox's own marketing material touts the 2025Pro as being the TC to use on Fuji's S100fs/S200EXR (and several years ago for the Olympus C-8080 as well), but the images on these Fujis were really terrible. If you had one of these it would be very easy to see that images cropped and enlarged to match the images produced using the TC are much better, and you don't have to be anywhere near pixel peeping territory to see the difference. Maybe an adapter tube would help, but the 2025Pro is pretty huge already. Extending it with a tube would make the HS20 look like a bazooka which oddly enough looks somewhat like what you might have been shooting in your sig. photo.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bazooka

PAUL TILL
PAUL TILL Veteran Member • Posts: 9,286

I don't often agree with Bill but everything he said above is true. The Nikon TC E17ED is the best TC out there but to heavy to hang on most lenses, the Sony VCL-DH1758 is the one to go for with the HS10/20.

The Raynox 2020/25 is good for... well if you take the lens elements out it would make an OK lens hood for the HS10/20 for when shooting at the long end.

Paul.
--

Ronald Contributing Member • Posts: 598

My problem with the review is according to the reviewer. There are only Super Zooms and DSLR's
He makes no mention of micro 4/3 cameras.
Even thou this is a new format it, it takes the best of both worlds.

btw

I use a Canon TC-DC58N for my teleconverter and the results are close to the olympus. At the time I got it the olympus and the canon were the only options available

-- hide signature --

Ronald Nikon cp4500, tc-e2, canon tc-dc58n, Fuji S9000

Rene Vliex New Member • Posts: 1

Perhaps it is possible that the raynox 2025 tc is not such a good teleconverter. But what is the alternative? The Sony vcl-dh1758 may be great but nobody is selling it anymore. Raynox on the other hand is still producing/selling their stuff.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads