SanDisk Ex Pro 8GB failure in M9

Started Mar 16, 2011 | Discussions
nodrog
nodrog Regular Member • Posts: 370
SanDisk Ex Pro 8GB failure in M9

Once again, I'm at a loss to explain the failure of an SD card in my M9. It was the first time I'd used the card, and did so with no problems for an hour or so. I put the camera away, albeit in the 'S' position, not 'off'. I picked it up and tried to see the menu...all black, play...black. Nothing available on the screen at all, but, it will take pictures -at least the shutter functions. The other card, an 4GB Extreme that had a similar problem last week, is fine, and all functions are available on the camera. But, as I say, I was worried about that too, last week, hence the purchase of this new card.

I'm seriously worried about this, Something is going on in the interface with the card. I don't think I'm doing anything out of the ordinary.

This is awfully disappointing Suggestions? Back to Leica for a checkup? That's all I can think of for now.

Pete

nodrog's gear list:nodrog's gear list
Leica M Typ 240 Nikon D810 Leica M10 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF Nikkor 135mm f/2D DC +5 more
John Brewton Contributing Member • Posts: 748
Re: SanDisk Ex Pro 8GB failure in M9

Wow. Bad luck, Pete. In my experience SanDisk cards just do not fail. Looks like it's off to Leica.
--
http://www.johnbrewton.zenfolio.com

John Brewton's gear list:John Brewton's gear list
Leica M9-P Nikon Z7
nodrog
OP nodrog Regular Member • Posts: 370

Still having issues with the M9 and card. When I leave the camera alone for a while I turn it back on and twice now have been confronted with a blank screen. Everything dead. On taking the card out, the menu and all screens become available again, but the card will not mount on my Mac. All images taken have to be rescued by PhotoRescue software. No way is this a SanDisk issue.

Camera is going back to the shop after the weekend.

Leica M Typ 240 Nikon D810 Leica M10 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF Nikkor 135mm f/2D DC +5 more
gtownby Regular Member • Posts: 101
SAME THING Happened to Me!

Also had the SanDisk Extreme Pro 8gb fail in my brand-new M9 yesterday! I took a few photos around the house Monday night with the new camera -- no problem. But when I tried to take some office portraits yesterday, the system failed: black screens, though the shutter worked. When I put the card in my Mac last night it did NOT show up on the screen.

I put in my 4-year-old RAW SD card from my M8 and now the M9 is working perfectly.

Will take the SanDisk back. Hoping it is a SanDisk problem and not an M9 problem!

-- hide signature --
nodrog
Re: SAME THING Happened to Me!

Same card? Cripes! Maybe this is a SanDisk problem after all...I just can't fathom what is going on. I never had a card failure before the M9, now two.

Could you recover the pictures taken?

P

Re: SAME THING Happened to Me!

Same card as yours. (I can't read the Ser.# on the card itself. But the box says 80-56-09281-008G). And no, nothing recovered because the card did not appear on my Mac. I'm not going to test it in my M8 - I just don't want to risk a bad card damaging my out-of-warranty Leica.

Used the 4-year-old RAW 2gb card for a few shots today with the new M9. Tonight I did some pixel-peeping and my gosh what resolution.

Let us know if you have success with a new card. And I'll keep you posted as well.

-- hide signature --
I Tested the Card

OK, I just tested the card on an old Canon P&S. The screen says: "Memory Card Error - Card Locked." Then, I removed the card and actually physically locked it. Same message. I removed it again and physically unlocked it. Same message.

-- hide signature --
nodrog
Re: I Tested the Card

Interesting that you couldn't mount the card, the same as me, but I could recover the pictures, using PhotoRescue software (about $30 or so, can't remember now). It was the only thing that worked, and I wanted those pictures.

The 8GB card box # is very close to yours: 80-56-09284-008G. The Extreme 4GB card # is 80-56-09716-004G.

After recovering the pictures, I erased the card in Disk Utility to mount them. After a reformat in camera they both work fine. I'm now being very careful about how I turn the camera off, How I leave it between shots (always turning off and waiting until the red light has finished blinking before doing so) and how I handle the files. The problem has happened when I've been heavily chimping and deleting files as I'm shooting. Am trying now to ignore the screen and just get on with shooting. No more problems of this type for a while. Am still a little worried, though :(.

maxnoy Forum Member • Posts: 75

Exact same problem with that card! Unfortunately, I shot all candids for an important job with it. The whole job was fine over two days. When I got home and turned on the camera, nothing. Card is showing up as corrupt in Disk Utility. Huge huge huge bummer for me and the client, to say the least. Hopefully image rescue or 'rescuepro' works.

I formatted the card in the camera before using it, but this was the first time out with it.

Bottom line, do not use that card with the M9!!

nodrog

Seems like these SanDisk card problems are piling up. Sorry to hear about your lost pictures, but I'm sure you'll be able to salvage them. The software that worked for me was PhotoRescue. Nothing else, that I tried, could see the images.

Please let me know if you could recover these pictures, and how.

Leica and SanDisk have to sort this out. Are you listening, Solms?

Cheers
Pete

vk2109 Senior Member • Posts: 2,322

Overall I think there is write/read issue with the extreme Pro SDHC...problaby a firmware update will resolve this.

My guess would be to keep using the regular extreme At 30mbs

nodrog wrote:

Seems like these SanDisk card problems are piling up. Sorry to hear about your lost pictures, but I'm sure you'll be able to salvage them. The software that worked for me was PhotoRescue. Nothing else, that I tried, could see the images.

Please let me know if you could recover these pictures, and how.

Leica and SanDisk have to sort this out. Are you listening, Solms?

Cheers
Pete

-- hide signature --
lensblur Regular Member • Posts: 127

I believe it's some batch of the 8gig extreme pro cards. Mine, and 2 other M9 users had the same "dead card" problem with the 8gig extreme pro we bought around the same time. I now use 32gig and it's ok.

What reader did you use to recover your images?

The card disappears when accessed through my readers (internal macbook pro and sandisk micromate). I have to take it out and put it back in for it to be recognized again, whereupon is disappears again on access.

LKeithR Veteran Member • Posts: 4,090

maxnoy wrote:

Exact same problem with that card! Unfortunately, I shot all candids for an important job with it. The whole job was fine over two days. When I got home and turned on the camera, nothing.

An important, paid job shot over two days with one card and no backups? Sorry, mate, but really, you've nobody to blame but yourself. I do "very" little paid work anymore but for something like that I would have used at least six cards, backing the first days work up to a second device at the end of the first day--if not more often.

A while ago a friend of mine shot a five day assignment on a single card with no intermediate backups. And guess what? He ended up losing the whole shoot. It cost him his time and the customer since it was a one-time situation that was impossible to re-shoot. They were furious and it was only because they previously had a very good relationship that they didn't sue him.

I cannot understand the obsession most people have with large cards. It only takes a few seconds to change a card and your images will be much safer...

-- hide signature --

Keith...

Look at the picture, not the pixels...
http://www.lkeithr.zenfolio.com

porrsha Contributing Member • Posts: 695

Was in Orlando last week and had 2 ea. 2 Gig cards, one was a SanDisk the other is an PNY Optima. Just a working vacation to Photoshop World and to see family. I had 3 days of relaxation before Photoshop World and used the SanDisk.

I had no problem finding the images at first then on day 4 they disappeared. I had done some conversions from RAW then tried to pull the images up and there was nothing. I did not download all the raw files as i normally do for a work flow. Guess i won't do that again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

porrsha's gear list:porrsha's gear list
Leica D-LUX 3 Leica M Typ 240 +1 more
nodrog

I used the MacBook Pro 15" internal reader. Yes, the card doesn't show up, but it is seen by Disk Utility. Can't be mounted, though. I searched for a rescue software and PhotoRescue was the only one that could pull the images off the card. Then I erased the the card and it became visible on the desktop again.

I agree about frequent backup. This is the first card I've used that is over 4GB and it makes me nervous every time I shoot. But I had the same problem with the SanDisk Ex 4GB!

Still think this is something Leica need to address quickly.

Maybe it's this new UHS-I technology mentioned in the B&H write-up here http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=NavBar&A=getItemDetail&Q=&sku=733801&is=REG&si=rev#costumerReview .

It's pretty frustrating. Remember: do not delete in-camera when using these cards! That seems to be the trigger...for me anyway.

Pete

vk2109 Senior Member • Posts: 2,322

OK ! Question for you ...what you use as card reader in order to benefit from the 45mb/s ? I just have a Sandisk USB SDHC card reader and the only benefit would be up to 30mbs extreme one

Vadim

lensblur wrote:

I believe it's some batch of the 8gig extreme pro cards. Mine, and 2 other M9 users had the same "dead card" problem with the 8gig extreme pro we bought around the same time. I now use 32gig and it's ok.

lensblur Regular Member • Posts: 127

Hi,

I just use the SD card slot on my Mac. I want to get some 30mbs extreme disks for my M9 since they seem to be the most stable speed but they are not available.

vk2109 wrote:

OK ! Question for you ...what you use as card reader in order to benefit from the 45mb/s ? I just have a Sandisk USB SDHC card reader and the only benefit would be up to 30mbs extreme one

Vadim

Re: SanDisk Ex Pro 8GB failure in M9 - update

Thank you again for the experience, Pete. It was a huge help!!

In my case, the card would not stay mounted in MBP reader or in a SanDisk Micromate external one. But it did stay mounted in a GH2 hooked up to MBP and I was able to use PhotoRescue on that.

As you said, the SanDisk provided software was not able to get anything. Photo Rescue is the way to go.

nodrog
Re: SanDisk Ex Pro 8GB failure in M9 - update

Did you try PhotoRescue with the (unmounted) card in the MBP? It doesn't seem to need the card to be mounted to recover pictures...it can 'see' what's on the card anyway. That's why I could rescue all the pictures. In fact, I have no external reader for SD cards anyway...the MBP's the only one.

Glad you could recover the pictures, and thanks for the message

Pete

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads