K-5 bounce flash and Response by Metz

Started Mar 14, 2011 | Discussions
ekelly Regular Member • Posts: 248
K-5 bounce flash and Response by Metz

I have been having trouble with the K-5 when I bounce the flash. It seems to overexpose quite a bit (1 stop or more depending upon situation). I have posted this topic a few times on this forum and another. The flash that I have been using is a Metz 50 af-1. I have tried it on 4 other k-5 bodies and the problem does not exist on my K-r. It happens when the camera is on any mode and the ISO is above 100. I typically shoot at ISO's above 100 at weddings with the camera on manual f5, 1/50th to conserve flash power and to pull in more ambient light. I was beginning to think that it might be a Metz problem, but I contacted Metz and this is their response:

Dear Mr Kelly,

Thank you for your e-mail enquiry of 11 March 2011.

We regret the trouble that you have with your flash unit 50 AF-1 and your camera Pentax K-5.

Please be informed, in our company we tested the digital camera "Pentax K-5" (firmware version 1.01 and 1.02) with flash units of our product range and also original Pentax flash units "Pentax AF-540FGZ" and "Pentax AF-360FGZ" and compared the results of images. The results are identical because the camera determines the intensity of flash light.

However, we found also out by our tests that the precision of Pentax digital camera's "Pentax K-5" P-TTL flash control is not as precise as like with other Pentax digital camera.

Please see:

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1036&message=37036542

http://dp-master1.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1036&message=37196234

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1036&message=37065884

We recommend you to take also pictures with an original Pentax flash unit at your photo dealers. Then you will see whether the problem is caused by the camera itself or by your flash unit.

We hope this information has been of help for you and remain

With kind regards

Wolfgang Becker
Technical Support

I decided to take some shots with my K-5 and K-r so that people can see if they have the same issue. All my shots were with the camera on Manual, f5, 1/50 sec., and at ISO 100, 200, 400, and 800 with the flash on PTTL and strait up bounced. The lens used was a DA* 16-50 with the lens at 35mm and I was about 5 feet away. The scene was in the -EV as well (at least -1 stop with ISO 800 selected). Let me know what you think.

K5 - f5, 1/50 sec., ISO 100

K5 - f5, 1/50 sec., ISO 200

K5 - f5, 1/50 sec., ISO 400

K5 - f5, 1/50 sec., ISO 800

Now the KR:

Kr - f5, 1/50 sec., ISO 100

Kr - f5, 1/50 sec., ISO 200

Kr - f5, 1/50 sec., ISO 400

Kr - f5, 1/50 sec., ISO 800

Thank you...

ekelly's gear list:ekelly's gear list
Fujifilm X100S
MightyMike Forum Pro • Posts: 40,527
Re: K-5 bounce flash and Response by Metz

It seems pretty clear that the K-5 has some flash issues
--
Mike from Canada

'I like to think so far outside the box that it would require a telephoto lens just to see the box!' ~ 'My Quote :)'

http://www.airliners.net/search/photo.search?sort_order=views%20DESC&first_this_page=0&page_limit=180&&emailsearch=mighty_mike88%40hotmail.com&thumbnails=

stefanlindmark Regular Member • Posts: 124

Thanks for conducting the tests. I'll try to test the ISO100 vs ISO tonight to see if I can repeat your results.

I received more or less exactly the same email from Metz today. I forwarded it to the local Pentax main repair shop for comments, since they were the ones that earlier referred to Pentax being aware of the flash issues.

If Metz are correct then the problem resides in the K-5 body. It means this is an issue independent of flash brand (Metz or Pentax) making it sound like a candidate for firmware v1.04.

photogerald Senior Member • Posts: 1,798

I am impressed by the response that you got from Metz, even though it doesn't help to resolve your problem. It does look like this is a camera issue, and hopefully the next firmware update for the K-5 fixes it.

No new information from Pentax according to the service center that just refers to the previous information they sent saying that Pentax is working on the problem.

ngap Senior Member • Posts: 1,860

Not saying its not true but I find it very strange, they claim they have tested it and then refer to their tests as posts on dpreview. Sorry they either have their own tests they can show. Showing other peoples tests doesn't put a lot of confidence in their response.

Ian J G Contributing Member • Posts: 774

I don't know, but I imagine they did it because it is easily available on-line and theirs are not.
Ian
--
http://picasaweb.google.co.uk/iangoldring

Ian J G's gear list:Ian J G's gear list
Fujifilm X-T20
OP ekelly Regular Member • Posts: 248
Possibly a language barrier?

After reading the letter again, I think that it maybe just a language barrier. I think he was just referencing the posts to support their own tests. He clearly says in the previous paragraph that they have conducted their own tests between their flashes and the pentax flashes and found them to be identical. Also, in the referenced posts, there are no tests comparing Metz and Pentax flashes. Just people noticing the problem. I though it was nice that the company answered my question within a couple days and actually researched it (online and in their own apparent tests). Pentax has just denied the problem every time I have tried to have it fixed (called once, online chat once, and sent in one camera - that was returned with a new unit with the same problem). Just some thoughts-

Fujifilm X100S
gustoy Junior Member • Posts: 31
Pentax K-5 and Metz 58-2

I had serious problems like you with the K5 and the Metz 58-2 too, until I installed the Pentax Firmware 1.03 and the Metz Firmware 2.0. Now the results with the flash (direct or bounce) are much better and I am quite happy. I don't know which update solved the issue.

Do you use the latest firmware?

Regards

Are you sure?

I think you may want to check again. My shooting partner also has a K-5 and Metz 58 af-2. I just went to his house last week and updated both firmwares on his camera and on the 58 flash. The problem still exists. Try shooting with the above manual settings, bounced. I guarantee the results are the same as mine. I will get his camera and post the results as well later. Could you post your tests with settings info and pictures? Thanks,

Eric

Fujifilm X100S
Re: Pentax K-5 and Metz 58-2

I did use the most recent firmware updates for the camera and flash used in the pictures above...

Fujifilm X100S
Re: Are you sure?

Just a thought... maybe doing a reset of the K-5 could affect this (not the custom menu reset but the other reset) who knows it all of a sudden might work
--
Mike from Canada

'I like to think so far outside the box that it would require a telephoto lens just to see the box!' ~ 'My Quote :)'

http://www.airliners.net/search/photo.search?sort_order=views%20DESC&first_this_page=0&page_limit=180&&emailsearch=mighty_mike88%40hotmail.com&thumbnails=

How do you do a reset?

Fujifilm X100S

MightyMike wrote:

Just a thought... maybe doing a reset of the K-5 could affect this (not the custom menu reset but the other reset) who knows it all of a sudden might work

Tried the reset options when the FF discussion was still active, so the camera has been reset already.

Menu 3 Page 3 last item
--
Mike from Canada

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads