XZ-1 Smearing

Started Mar 11, 2011 | Discussions
Marla
Marla Veteran Member • Posts: 8,994
Re: Bottom Line? JPG smearing unacceptable?

Andy W wrote:

Hi Maria

I guess its a personal thing...but my view is that unless I was prepared to use RAW then I would have sent the XZ-1 back. Don't get me wrong you can get some excellent jpegs from this camera....but in some low contrast situations fine detail such as grass and foliage do smear badly and so totally spoil the image.

Thank you! I really appreciate you're taking the time to clarify.

My plan at present is to sell my LX5 which is a great camera, but I just think the

XZ-1 would work better for me since I can use my VF-2 that I use with my E-PL2. Plus I like the Oly colors and skin tones.

Decisions Decisions.

Maria

Marla's gear list:Marla's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Olympus PEN-F Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic Leica D Summilux Asph 25mm F1.4 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm F4-5.6 R +1 more
Marla
Re: XZ-1 Smearing

peckinpah wrote:

Maria, check the photos I just posted in the XZ-1 versus M8 thread. I'm still working with the camera, so I don't have a final verdict yet, but... up to now I'm not impressed.

-- hide signature --

Yes, I see the smearing quite "clearly" for want of a better term in this situation!

I'd like to see more images. Is there nothing that can be done with the settings to prevent this without using RAW? Probably a stupid question - or someone would have posted it by now.

Thanks!

Maria

Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Olympus PEN-F Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic Leica D Summilux Asph 25mm F1.4 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm F4-5.6 R +1 more
Marla

Marla wrote:

peckinpah wrote:

Maria, check the photos I just posted in the XZ-1 versus M8 thread. I'm still working with the camera, so I don't have a final verdict yet, but... up to now I'm not impressed.

Yes, I see the smearing quite "clearly" for want of a better term in this situation!

I'd like to see more images. Is there nothing that can be done with the settings to prevent this without using RAW? Probably a stupid question - or someone would have posted it by now.

Thanks!

ETA: don't know how this got posted twice. sorry for the duplicate.

Maria

Jan S New Member • Posts: 22

They are different beasts for sure. Pointless comparison.

peckinpah Regular Member • Posts: 207

Not really. Both are top of the range enthousiast's compacts with a fast zoom. Albeit one is I think two years old and one is new. This is an interesting comparison: lots of smudge on the Olympus, lots of (articial?) noise on the Leica. I think I prefer the Leica's algorythm. The difference in the detail of the hair is evident.

peckinpah's gear list:peckinpah's gear list
Leica M8 Fujifilm X-T10 Fujifilm X-Pro2 Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS +10 more
OP Andy W Junior Member • Posts: 28

hope this works...1st time I've uploaded. Look at the grass for the smear.
--
AndyW

BluAlloy Regular Member • Posts: 436

peckinpah wrote:

Not really. Both are top of the range enthousiast's compacts with a fast zoom. Albeit one is I think two years old and one is new. This is an interesting comparison: lots of smudge on the Olympus, lots of (articial?) noise on the Leica. I think I prefer the Leica's algorythm. The difference in the detail of the hair is evident.

Very interesting. Do you think that the Leica's noise reduction is superior or just not turn up as high? Can you show us the RAW XZ-1 Shot with Noise reduction on low or off? What setting do you have Noise reduction on the Leica camera set to? If you turn it on Normal (or higher) are the results comparable? Thanks for doing this comparison!

Jorge López New Member • Posts: 12

I think it´s true that the grass smearing is a problem. The aperture and ISO 100 must give a better image, but the rest of the image is very good in my opinion.

Oly, we need a firmware update...

Jorge López's gear list:Jorge López's gear list
Canon EOS Rebel T6s
Allan Ostling
Allan Ostling Regular Member • Posts: 297

Andy W wrote:

hope this works...1st time I've uploaded. Look at the grass for the smear.
--
AndyW

That's a good example. Be sure to click "original" to see the smearing at full resolution.
--
Allan

Joel Stern
Joel Stern Forum Pro • Posts: 10,926

While I have decided to wait for a bit if RAW takes care of the issues I am good with that. Until Aperture 3 is upgraded this is a deal breaker for me but it will be upgraded soon enough, maybe even before the XZ-2 is out.

Otto
Otto Senior Member • Posts: 1,235

Andy,

Thanks for posting this example.

Can you please explain exactly how you took this shot?

What was your focus point?

Did you focus (half press shutter), and re-compose (while still holding the shutter at half press)?

Was this handheld, or did you use a tripod?

It almost looks like the main focus point was somewhere on the patio area. Most everything from a few feet into the yard, and beyond, appears to be out of focus.

Thanks,
Otto...

Otto's gear list:Otto's gear list
Olympus XZ-2 iHS Panasonic LX100 Nikon Coolpix P900 Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS60 Canon Pixma Pro-100
OP Andy W Junior Member • Posts: 28

Hi Otto

The camera was on a chair and the focus was towards the back of the lawn. (so no recomposition or movement) ISO 100 with +1 sharpening. I agree things do look a little soft at the back....Ill mess about and see what a litttle extra sharpening does.

-- hide signature --

AndyW

Allan Ostling

Otto wrote:

It almost looks like the main focus point was somewhere on the patio area. Most everything from a few feet into the yard, and beyond, appears to be out of focus.

Otto...

Look at the pin-point lights inside the window of the brick house. Also notice that the bricks show smearing.

This illustrates the unpredictability of the smearing.
--
Allan

Baron LaCat Senior Member • Posts: 1,188

This shot was taken in low light with no flash. Zoom in and notice the obvious smearing on the wooden fence, just below the "take away" sign.

Baron LaCat's gear list:Baron LaCat's gear list
Sony RX10 IV Sony RX100 VII Nikon Coolpix P950
Marla

Baron LaCat wrote:

This shot was taken in low light with no flash. Zoom in and notice the obvious smearing on the wooden fence, just below the "take away" sign.

Wow! it doesn't get much worse than this! I may cancel my pre-order.

Maria

Marla

Allan Ostling wrote:

Look at the pin-point lights inside the window of the brick house. Also notice that the bricks show smearing.

This illustrates the unpredictability of the smearing.
--
Allan

I actually noticed the bricks first.....they seem worse than the grass IMO.

Maria

Marla
Re: XZ-1 Smearing....unfortunately

After seeing these images and reading this thread, I am seriously thinking of cancelling my pre-order from Amazon.

Actually I called Amazon earlier to see when they expect to get more in stock to ship. They said their next shipment should be arriving in April. That is quite a wait. Maybe by then there will be a fix. Maybe.

I thought I had done all of my homework - until I read this thread. I'm glad I looked in here!

Thanks for posting.

Maria

Allan Ostling
Re: XZ-1 Smearing....unfortunately

Marla wrote:

After seeing these images and reading this thread, I am seriously thinking of canceling my pre-order from Amazon.

I thought I had done all of my homework - until I read this thread. I'm glad I looked in here!

I think the last two examples are all the evidence needed that the XZ-1 has a crisis. The dpreview test needs to be amended to alert prospective buyers to this issue. Do the authors read this thread?
--
Allan

luckymandran Regular Member • Posts: 211

Andy , thank you for providing a sample of what we keep hearing about with this smearing. It may be time to pause a bit and really think this through when this is combined with the focus problems in video mode. Maybe see if Oly can fix with a firmware update.

luckymandran's gear list:luckymandran's gear list
Nikon Coolpix AW110 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX50V Sony RX100 III Canon EOS 7D Canon EF 100mm F2.8L Macro IS USM +3 more
Andrewteee Veteran Member • Posts: 3,038
Re: simply user error

I have plenty of RAW experience and returned my XZ-1 for the same reason as the OP. The smearing was even in the RAW files and could not be undone.

If you are expert at processing XZ-1 RAW files then please share your method, and please share an unprocessed image with the smearing and then a processed image where you corrected the smearing.

If you are going to complain about user error then please bring a solution to help teach him.

Andrewteee's gear list:Andrewteee's gear list
Leica Q Ricoh GR III Leica SL2 Fujifilm X100V Leica SL 24-90mm F2.8-4
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads