GH2 Vaporware?

Started Mar 10, 2011 | Discussions
cmvsm Veteran Member • Posts: 4,717
GH2 Vaporware?

Getting to the point where I don't really believe that this camera is ever coming to the US in major online retailers. It's sad as it was previewed on this site way back in September of last year.

By the time it does see light, if it ever does in the US, it will be time to update it again as the other competitors will have already gone through a production evolution.

Panasonic seems to have a nice lead in this category, but looks as if they are carelessly giving that lead away with incompetent distribution and failed promises in manufacturing. Too bad, as I was looking to get my hands on one.

LTZ470
LTZ470 Forum Pro • Posts: 11,926
Re: GH2 Vaporware?

Samy's Camera and Unique Photo both have a few units in...they are trickling into the USA...keep checking Micro Four Thirds Forum....

cmvsm wrote:

Getting to the point where I don't really believe that this camera is ever coming to the US in major online retailers. It's sad as it was previewed on this site way back in September of last year.

By the time it does see light, if it ever does in the US, it will be time to update it again as the other competitors will have already gone through a production evolution.

Panasonic seems to have a nice lead in this category, but looks as if they are carelessly giving that lead away with incompetent distribution and failed promises in manufacturing. Too bad, as I was looking to get my hands on one.

fringephoto Contributing Member • Posts: 963

It almost feels that way with the lack of supply but there still is a few out there

SterlingBjorndahl Senior Member • Posts: 2,052
Re: GH2 Vaporware? Mine seems real.

cmvsm wrote:

Getting to the point where I don't really believe that this camera is ever coming to the US in major online retailers.

Maybe I'm having an uncharacteristically lucky streak, but I got one from amazon.com over a month ago and just won a POTD with it:

http://photographyvoice.com/potd/view-photo-of-the-day/25822/2011/03/09/people-and-street/sterling-bjorndahl

(the site's been slow the past few days, so you might need to let it crunch away in the background for a few minutes.)

Sterling
--
Lens Grit

SterlingBjorndahl's gear list:SterlingBjorndahl's gear list
Olympus Air Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85 Panasonic Leica D Vario-Elmar 14-150mm F3.5-5.6 Asph Mega OIS Panasonic Lumix G X Vario PZ 14-42mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-140mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH. / Power O.I.S +16 more
ANAYV Forum Pro • Posts: 15,661

Adorama gets them in.....but they go right back out,never showing ' in stock' on there website

Tyr pre ordering one....and within a week or two...they will probably ship you one.

worked for me

ANAYV

cmvsm wrote:

Hen3ry
Hen3ry Forum Pro • Posts: 18,218
Re: Sterlinbg work
 Hen3ry's gear list:Hen3ry's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic G85 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm F4.0-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 Panasonic Lumix G X Vario PZ 45-175mm F4.0-5.6 ASPH OIS +7 more
Hen3ry
Hen3ry Forum Pro • Posts: 18,218
Re: Sterling work; love that high key look ...

... although I rarely manage to achieve it satisfactorily myself.

Regina, eh? D'you know Neil Slater? Mate of mine.

Cheers, geoff
--
Geoffrey Heard
http://pngtimetraveller.blogspot.com/2010/03/happy-as-pig-in-mud.html

Hen3ry's gear list:Hen3ry's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic G85 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm F4.0-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 Panasonic Lumix G X Vario PZ 45-175mm F4.0-5.6 ASPH OIS +7 more
caver3d Contributing Member • Posts: 732

cmvsm wrote:

Some of us in the US have the GH2. As I've mentioned before on this forum, I ordered from Adorama at the beginning of December. They got some of the cameras in and shipped to me on December 15. The key is that you need to PREORDER. Adorama will not charge your card until they get it in and ship it to you. Why there are so many people here that continue to complain, yet do not pre-order is beyond me. If you want the camera, place your order and get in the queue. Show some patience and you will eventually get the camera. I know that the real fault is with Panasonic, but if you want a great camera, you need to hang in there with a pre-order.

caver3d

caver3d's gear list:caver3d's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LC1 Fujifilm FinePix X100 Sony RX100 II Panasonic FZ1000 Lytro Illum +19 more
Rod Baakkonen
Rod Baakkonen Regular Member • Posts: 407

I put my name on a list at National Camera Exchange in Minneapolis on Feb 26th. They called me and I picked the camera up on March 6th.
--
Rod

Rod Baakkonen's gear list:Rod Baakkonen's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-140mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH. / Power O.I.S Adobe Photoshop CS6 Adobe Camera Raw 7 +1 more
Detail Man
Detail Man Forum Pro • Posts: 16,806

cmvsm wrote:

Getting to the point where I don't really believe that this camera is ever coming to the US in major online retailers.

Sorry to have to note this, but todays Magnitude 8.9 subduction-zone earthquake may have some very significant effects upon the future supply of all Panasonic camera models that bear the "Leica" name on the lens ...

In Japan only, Panasonic also manufactures all Leica brand name digital cameras, and many Lumix and Leica camera models are of similar design .

http://cameras.about.com/od/manufacturers/a/introducing_panasonic.htm

This web-page's information is not dated. The most recent year mentioned in it's text is 2008. Let us hope that what it says (about manufacturing facilities all being in Japan) is no longer the case ...

And (of course) there may be other camera manufacturers whose manufacturing facilities are primarily located in Japan ...

More importantly (where it comes to human beings, and not mere machines), let us think about and have true compassion for the many, many human beings who have suffered and who have died as a result of this catastrophic and tragic event.

That (rightly should, it seems) mean more to us than does our own immediate gratification as consumers of material objects ?

DM

Robiro Veteran Member • Posts: 6,775

When I was trying to buy mine, I was facing similar problems.

Was just about ready to order one from Amazon.co.uk but luckily, Panasonic Slovakia somehow managed to get 2 (!) GH2s for the entire country (both with 14-42 kit lens, forget body only or 14-140mm). I got one of them by sheer luck.

-- hide signature --

a proud inventor of the term "Pinocchio lens"

Robiro's gear list:Robiro's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX8 Panasonic 12-35mm F2.8 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-140mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH. / Power O.I.S Olympus 40-150mm F2.8 Pro Panasonic Leica 100-400mm F4.0-6.3 ASPH

Detail Man wrote:

Sorry to have to note this, but todays Magnitude 8.9 subduction-zone earthquake may have some very significant effects upon the future supply of all Panasonic camera models that bear the "Leica" name on the lens ...

My GH2 states on the bottom:

Made in China, Xiamen Co. Ltd., Panasonic AVC Networks

That surprised me a little bit since both FZ30 and TZ7 state that they are made in Japan.

-- hide signature --

Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX8 Panasonic 12-35mm F2.8 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-140mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH. / Power O.I.S Olympus 40-150mm F2.8 Pro Panasonic Leica 100-400mm F4.0-6.3 ASPH
Detail Man

Robiro wrote:

Detail Man wrote:

My GH2 states on the bottom:
Made in China, Xiamen Co. Ltd., Panasonic AVC Networks

That surprised me a little bit since both FZ30 and TZ7 state that they are made in Japan.

Ditto for my FZ50 and LX3.

I was not using my head very well when making my original statement (with reference to GH2 manufacture), since the G-Series MFT models do not "bear the name Leica on the lens" ... or even have a (dedicated, in-camera) lens ...

Also interesting that your camera states upon its ID-plate that it was manufactured by the "Xiamen Company". Seems like Panasonic might want to avoid a "re-badged by Panasonic" stigma?

Anyway, it sounds like it is a fine machine (either way) ...

Bottom plate

Here is the bottom plate:

-- hide signature --

mark1000 Veteran Member • Posts: 5,717
Re: Bottom plate

My UK GH2 has the same sticker, Panny have been manufacturing G system camera's in China for a while.

Mark.

Robiro wrote:

Here is the bottom plate:

-- hide signature --

Mark.

BigBarney Senior Member • Posts: 2,722
And the relevance to the GH2 is? ...

Detail Man wrote:

... this may well be so, but surely it is largely irrelevant to the GH2? Panasonic have subcontracted the production of the GH2 to Xiamen in China and neither of the kit lenses, 14-42mm and 14-140mm, bear the Leica name on them. The only Leica branded lens in the Panasonic m43 range is the 45mm f2.8 macro lens.

Detail Man
Re: And the relevance to the GH2 is? ...

BigBarney wrote:

Detail Man wrote:

... this may well be so, but surely it is largely irrelevant to the GH2? Panasonic have subcontracted the production of the GH2 to Xiamen in China and neither of the kit lenses, 14-42mm and 14-140mm, bear the Leica name on them. The only Leica branded lens in the Panasonic m43 range is the 45mm f2.8 macro lens.

Thanks for making your excellent point BB (for those who do not view the thread in "Flat View"). This will serve as an additional "reality check" to my own "mia-culpa" and similar correction posted on this thread (around) one hour prior to your post:

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1033&message=37952602

Regards, DM

Dominique Dierick Veteran Member • Posts: 4,494
Belgium too

We are waiting and waiting and waiting.... I think Panasonic doesn't want to sell

D.

cmvsm wrote:

-- hide signature --

Equipment: Nikon D3s, D7000

Dominique Dierick's gear list:Dominique Dierick's gear list
Fujifilm X100S
Re: Belgium too

Dominique Dierick wrote:

We are waiting and waiting and waiting.... I think Panasonic doesn't want to sell

Don't wait and order one from Amazon.de. Panasonic Pan-European Warranty applies. No worries there.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads