Tamron 28-75 2.8 really is a sharp lens

Started Mar 9, 2011 | Discussions
Katsura Contributing Member • Posts: 588
Tamron 28-75 2.8 really is a sharp lens

I recently acquired a beautiful FA* 28-70/f2.8 and no longer need my trusty Tamron 28-75 so I was listing it on eBay and used it to take some smaple shots for the listing.

It;s really tac sharp - it;s actually shaper than the FA* at the tele end, on the Tamron, resolution is already exellent from f3.5. While it takes up until f5.0 on the FA* to reach good resolution.

The FA* does have the Tammy beat at the wide end and the bokeh/ color rendition looks nicer to me.

I may end up keeping the Tammy afterall.

Sample shots below - I don't utually do measurebating, this was only done for the eBay listing.

mike703 Veteran Member • Posts: 6,702
Re: Tamron 28-75 2.8 really is a sharp lens

I agree. It's a great people-shooting lens (short tele range on a crop sensor) and has constant f/2.8... and as you say just stopping down less than one full stop gives great sharpness.

Best wishes
--
Mike

Suse B Regular Member • Posts: 371

I totally agree . . . .

I would never get rid of my lens - it's my go-to lens for shooting people after my DA* 50-135

suse

MrPetkus New Member • Posts: 12

Ditto here. It's also a fantastic portrait lens.

pcarfan Veteran Member • Posts: 3,917

Yes! the Tamron is an amzing lens as I had done the same comparison and had posted in the other forum a few months ago. But, I also ended up selling the Tamron and kept the FA*.
--

[url= http://www.pentaxphotogallery.com/home#section=ARTIST&subSection=2323984&subSubSection=0&language=EN]MY PPG[ url]
K10D, K-7

Pentax: DA15/4, DA21/3.2, FA31/1.8, FA43/1.9, FA77/1.8, F135/2.8, FA*28-70/2.8, FA*80-200/2.8
Sigma Zooms: Sigma 100-300 F4

'Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming... 'Wow! What a ride!'

JNR
JNR Veteran Member • Posts: 3,310

I have the Tamron lens in the Canon mount, and I absolutely love it from f/4 and beyond for general use. It is even a slightly better FF lens than for APSc because of its greater general utility and good sharpness into the corners stopped down.

That said, color rendition and bokeh on the old Pentax a35-105 f/3.5 makes it easily my favorite lens for portrait work on a crop sensor. It simply is a great lens from 50 to 90 - even wide open.

JNR

JNR's gear list:JNR's gear list
Pentax K-3 Fujifilm X-T20 Fujifilm XF 27mm F2.8 Rokinon 12mm F2.0 NCS CS Fujifilm XF 23mm F2 R WR +17 more
snostorm Senior Member • Posts: 2,044
First lens I bought. . .

I ordered one along with my DS and kit lens new. I've never sought the FA* replacement as the Tamron has always been a stellar performer. I think one thing that is often overlooked is the significantly smaller size -- the Aspherical lens design allows a 67mm filter which is 10mm smaller than the nearest direct FL/speed competitor, and actually makes the lens pocketable -- which raises its utility for me considerably.

Scott

snostorm's gear list:snostorm's gear list
Pentax K-3 Pentax K-1
John Cafarella Contributing Member • Posts: 986

I agree too. My copy is very sharp, I've got shots taken on a k20 at 75mm where resolution is almost down to a single pixel
--
John Cafarella
Melbourne, Australia

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads