XZ-1 Richard Franiec grip = Amazing

Started Mar 9, 2011 | Discussions
Richard Franiec
Richard Franiec Senior Member • Posts: 2,542
Just to clarify a few things...

photo perzon wrote:

It was great for the Canon S90, a completely slippery finish.

But I never put it on my S95, which had a finish.

For some users it is the boxy shape without any protrusion making handling a challenge. For others, it does not matter regardless of finish. Personally, I like to carry around my S95 or XZ-1 hanging from the tips of my fingers without the need of squeezing it. A lot less stress and fatigue for prolonged use.Try to do this same with the "naked" cam and you'll know why.

To remove the grip from the S90 took the floss, and it left industrial strength adhesive marks which finally came off the smooth finish ... but I do not see how it could come off a textured finish...it is a forever, unless you chemically take it out.

When testing, I put the grip on the camera and then remove it a hundreds of times. Sometimes the adhesive leaves some stubborn residue which is relatively easy to remove by rolling it off with the ball of the thumb. I've never had the need to use chemicals to help cleaning the residue, however if such need arises, I would recommend the drop of WD-40 a multipurpose lubricant.

Adhesive used for the grip is very powerful as it should be but totally safe for the camera finish regardless of the texture. There is no possibility of permanent marring of the camera or grip finish due to chemical reaction between adhesive and the camera body/grip.

I do not think a textured camera needs it. One day I hope to compare.

I don't want to assume that you recommend against the grip without even testing and comparing first?

It also does make the camera look larger, depending on the angle. In a tight pouch, it also can get in the way of the zipper closing.

Being a low profile, at 20 grams (slightly more than half ounce), the grip does not add any significant bulk to the camera. However, I agree, if someone is thinking of custom fitted leather case, the grip could interfere with fit. For the great majority of belt and other camera pouches, jeans, jacket and cargo pockets, grip or not makes no difference in fit but provides something to grab on when pulling the camera out.

For the Canon S90 it was great. I think the white XZ-1 needs it and it might look great with the black lens and the black grip! How about a picture of the White XZ-1 and the grip.

I would like to see the black grip on white XZ-1 myself.

Cheers

Richard

Richard Franiec's gear list:Richard Franiec's gear list
Sigma DP2 Merrill Canon PowerShot G7 X Canon EOS-1D Mark IV Canon EOS-1D X Canon EOS M +8 more
ggw2000 Contributing Member • Posts: 919
Re: Hey Carzy_M where did you get that neat lookinig wrist strap ..

Crazy_M wrote:

justharry wrote:

.. ? harry

It's the hand strap from a Nintendo Wii :). Cost all of $2.20 shipped, has the clamp so you can quickly sinch it up on your wrist, and comes in almost any colour you could want

Crazy_M, could you post where you ordered the strap from that has them available in colors..
Thanks, Gerry

OP Crazy_M New Member • Posts: 12

Well I'm in NZ so I got it off our ebay equivalent, Trademe.

Try searching ebay for "Wii Wrist Strap". Im sure you'll find a colour that suits you

ggw2000 Contributing Member • Posts: 919

Crazy_M wrote:

Well I'm in NZ so I got it off our ebay equivalent, Trademe.

Try searching ebay for "Wii Wrist Strap". Im sure you'll find a colour that suits you

Thanks! Gerry

justharry Regular Member • Posts: 375
Re: Hey Crazy_M ... thanks

... won ebay auction for two black ones ... $7.59 US including shipping; one for my XZ-1 and one for my G9 ... thanks for the tip ... harry

justharry's gear list:justharry's gear list
Canon PowerShot SD700 IS Canon PowerShot G9 Sony SLT-A77 Nikon Z6 Sony DT 35mm F1.8 SAM +4 more
BluAlloy Regular Member • Posts: 436
Re: XZ-1 Richard Franiec grip = Amazing

Crazy_M wrote:

I've had my XZ-1 grip for a couple of days now so I thought I'd offer my opinions on it for those sitting on the fence.

• The fit and finish is perfect. There is no other word for it. There are no gaps or lips or anything to get caught up.

• In practice it make NO discernible increase to the camera bulk. As you can see the lens even in the closed position is absolutely dwarfs it.

• The amount of additional grip it offers is surprising. I cant imagine going back to without it. I was initially on the fence because the XZ-1 handles okay out of the box, but I had wondered if it could be improved because the weight of the lens creates a noticeable torque in your hand. With the grip on I can hook my middle finger securely around it and there is a major increase in stability when hand-holding.

So if you think your naked XZ-1 feels like its missing something I can 100% recommend the Franiec grip. If you think the XZ-1 is fine as it is then you had better not try one with a grip - you really wont want to go back! Richard is a great guy to deal with and this seemingly insignificant add-on really makes a good camera great.

Now, if only I could persuade him to make a slim aluminium auto-cap then my XZ-1 would be complete!

Just got mine today and thought I'd share a few initial impressions as well.

First of all let me say that I agree 100% with Crazy_M. The grip is fantastic.

Very professional and has a perfect grip-y"feel" to it.

One of the first things I noticed when I got the camera was that it was pretty awkward to hold and I couldn't quite get it comfortable. A large part of that is due to the torque present from the large lens. The only way I was able to get it to work was to hold the camera primarily with my left hand. I got used to having to hold it this way (and hot potatoe back and forth between hands), but the grip fixes the issue allowing me to navigate the camera with greater ease and comfort.

It creates a natural "pocket" for my fingers to fit in to. I expected it to help while holding the camera verticle for portrait shots, but surprisingly it pushes my middle finger under the barrel and helps while holding it normally as well.

Despite being made from aluminum, it's surprisingly light.

Much better than sticking velcro on for grip (and easier to clean BBQ sauce off of :P).

I'd recommend this to anyone on the fence. Just buy it, you won't regret it.

FezUSA New Member • Posts: 17

+1 for Richard's XZ-1 grip.

Mine arrived today and I just finished installing it. Couldn't be much happier with the product. Instructions were clear and concise. I highly recommend following them, especially the "repeat this step until you know the right position" one. I found that by doing this just a few times really helped me get comfortable with what hand positioning and camera holding grips worked and didn't. I also determined a clearer (for me) guide for lining up the grip using the two screws on the side of the camera.

Anyway, I haven't used it much as I'm in the "let it sit for 30 minutes" stage, however it already seems much easier to handle.

Richard, thanks for making a great product that manages to enhance an already great tool.

Anyone that's comfortable with dSLR's will be more accustomed to having this grip available to them, and even in a much smaller P&S it makes a huge difference. Being comfortable with the tool in your hand will only enhance your overall picture taking. This grip makes the XZ-1 all the more comfortable, at least in my hands!

Richard Franiec
Question for BluAlloy

I'm glad you like the grip.

Does it make the difference in handling when using XZ-1 with EVF at the eye level?

Best wishes

Richard

Sigma DP2 Merrill Canon PowerShot G7 X Canon EOS-1D Mark IV Canon EOS-1D X Canon EOS M +8 more
Re: Question for BluAlloy

Richard Franiec wrote:

I'm glad you like the grip.

Does it make the difference in handling when using XZ-1 with EVF at the eye level?

Best wishes

Richard

My VF-2 came after I received the grip, but as far as I can tell it does make a difference. Since you're doing a lot of button pressing with your right hand, the added stability is very welcome, especially when doing them "blind" with your face up against the camera or while holding a branch still for that perfect macro shot.

Sipelpomp Regular Member • Posts: 218

It looks really nice, and I can see the point.

However, I will not spend $30something on a small piece of plastic and some double-sided tape, no matter what.

mclarenf3 Forum Member • Posts: 61

What if it's a machined piece of metal? Cause that's what it is.

Richard Franiec
In fact...

mclarenf3 wrote:

What if it's a machined piece of metal? Cause that's what it is.

it s a solid piece of aircraft grade aluminum individually 3D CNC machined in several steps, glass bead blasted and black anodized/nickel sealed for uniform finish and durability. No plastic or rubber whatsoever as you can see (S90 grip shown):

Cheers

Richard

Richard Franiec
Re: Question for BluAlloy

Thanks, BluAlloy,

I only tried Sigma DP1 and Leica D-Lux4 + OVF and grip.
My experience mirrors yours with XZ-1.

Take care

Richard

A..C Regular Member • Posts: 138
Re: In fact...

There is no question that Richard's products are extremely well designed and made. Personally I do believe the prices are a tad high, but ultimately they are worth what people will pay and Richard has carved out a unique place in the market from which he deserves to profit.

I've assumed that the grips are all made in the United States, but with the sales presumably growing quickly I'm curious to know if that's still true. I didn't find confirmation online. Richard--Could you shed a little light?

Thanks,
Anthony

Anthony Clark wrote:

Personally I do believe the prices are a tad high, but ultimately they are worth what people will pay and Richard has carved out a unique place in the market from which he deserves to profit.

All hand made/custom made products are going to be higher in price. That's because they're not made on an industrial scale in China. Go to any trade show and look at prices and it's no different. The quality is there, and I'm more than happy paying 32 bucks rather than having the alternative, which is nothing.

Even if there was a choice between a cheap plastic version and the higher quality metal one, I'd go for the nice one as it just feels perfect on the camera.

I will admit when you pull it out of the box it's tiny, but the difference it gives to the camera makes it worth every penny.

boscoboy Junior Member • Posts: 45

Most car dealers charge $90-100 hour to provide average to poor service on your car. Plumbing service call = $50/hr... Why would a skilled machinist who has to add on high end finishing cost sell it at a loss - if you want junk, buy junk from someone else. This piece is on par with high end German quality - that means "top drawer'. His customers are just so happy that someone offers such a product - his price is LOW - should be $50.00!

Richard Franiec

Anthony Clark wrote:

snip>

I've assumed that the grips are all made in the United States, but with the sales presumably growing quickly I'm curious to know if that's still true. I didn't find confirmation online. Richard--Could you shed a little light?

Thanks,
Anthony

Not only grips but all my accessories are 100% designed and manufactured in USA. They are made in small batches according to the demand. Not one accessory is molded, stamped or made as casting, other words - mass produced.They are individually machined to the very strict accuracy and quality standards.

Each accessory is designed to tailor (custom) fit specific camera model, there is no "one fits all" philosophy like in case of some inexpensive hot shoe covers available on the market, only to disappoint the user because onboard flash gets disabled when the cover is put in or the cover fall off on its own.

I hope, this helps in better understanding the whole concept.

Best wishes

Richard

Combatmedic870 Senior Member • Posts: 1,115

Now ive got to say that im impressed and thats pretty dang high speed!! 32 buck is worth it!

He's not just making these cause he felt like it. He's making these cause people want a grip for there camera. Hes nice enough to make them.

Im not seeing an issue here....
--
Ryan,

Combatmedic870's gear list:Combatmedic870's gear list
Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS
A..C Regular Member • Posts: 138

And I'm not trying to make one.

First, thank you, Richard, for confirming the domestic origins of your products. It's implied in the descriptions of how the products are made, but I would suggest you make it explicit somewhere on your website since that is valuable information and so rare these days. I was aware of the custom-tailored nature of your products. You need not answer this, but I am curious whether you are able to recycle the aluminum bits carved out of each block. Does the supplier of the blocks take the material back?

To others, I gave all credit where credit is due for the quality of the product and that Richard deserves to make money for the thought, time, and labor that go into his unique products. I understand global manufacturing and do not suggest Richard should be selling at a loss. Richard's business model is admirable, his customer service great, AND I simply and personally think the prices are a bit high. I make no judgment about how others or the market should perceive the value of his products.

I do hope some good will come of my post in the form of more prominent notice of the domestic origins of Richard's products, which then lead to more sales.

All hail Richard! ; )

Best,
Anthony

Dwip Regular Member • Posts: 412

I mounted my grip yesterday evening, and love it. Thanks Richard!!

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads