Scanner that plays nice with 10.6

Started Mar 7, 2011 | Discussions
vdubreeze Senior Member • Posts: 1,324
Scanner that plays nice with 10.6

Gotta get a decent scanner. I've been borrowing a Canon CANOSCAN 5000F which has very good output but I have to drag out my G4 with 10.4. Can't make it work with my MBP and 10.6. And my Kodak ESP7 scans horribly, not even usable, no two ways about it. If the quality is as good as the 5000F it will be good enough.

Can anyone recommend a recent model that can run on the latest Macs? Hoping to spend under $300 but am open to suggestions. My only criteria is that it does 1200 and scans graphics decently. Being able to handle film is a big plus (worth paying more for) but don't need any kind of sheet handling or office specific features. Just want to archive stuff and not feel in a few years like I should do it over : )

Thanks!

vdubreeze's gear list:vdubreeze's gear list
Pentax K-3 Pentax K-5 Tamron AF 28-75mm F/2.8 XR Di LD Aspherical (IF) Pentax smc DA 18-135mm F3.5-5.6ED AL [IF] DC WR Pentax smc FA 50mm F1.4 +1 more
macbob3 Regular Member • Posts: 471
Re: Scanner that plays nice with 10.6

My Epson Perfection 700 Photo has been doing fine for several years. Currently 10.6.6

michaeldelrossi Regular Member • Posts: 123

Check out VueScan software.

It works with my Microtek i800. Microtek can't seem to get their software to work well with SnowLeopard.
--
http://www.delrossiphotography.com

Calroadbiker Junior Member • Posts: 40

Found this on a Mac helpsite...

"Anthony sullivan...Recently picked up a old Canoscan 5000F scanner.

To my suprise, it works fine in Snow Leopard, using the Canoscan toolbox v4 software..."

I guess the question is are you using Canoscan Toolbox v4..

MIRANDA1 Contributing Member • Posts: 586

The Canon 9000F works fine with 10.6.6
--
DreamHorizon Photography http://dreamhorizon.zenfolio.com/

Conchita Veteran Member • Posts: 9,914

The canoscan toolbox software is quite old, but it does work okay in 10.6. However, I found that the button managers for my old canon n1240U were taking up more and more memory with each OS X update.

There are several newer canon models that work well in 10.6. I have the lide200, but I bought it for text scanning rather than image scanning. There it's adequate, not stellar.

graybalanced Veteran Member • Posts: 6,286

I'm running an old Canon and an Epson Workforce 610, they both work in 10.6 through Apple Image Capture and VueScan, I don't even bother with manufacturer drivers anymore. I also have a Nikon film scanner that would be useless under the manufacturer's non-support for current Mac software, so I drive that with VueScan too.

OP vdubreeze Senior Member • Posts: 1,324

Thanks for the suggestions.

I had problems with V4 in 10.6, some buttons were inoperative, so I installed V5, and that was probably my downfall, since the 5000F isn't currently officially supported. Since my experience with printer manufacturers and their software updates is abysmal, I had assumed, probably wrongly, that troubleshooting and reinstalling V4 would just be a road to nowhere, and gave V5 the nod, which killed whatever I had going.

Anyway, I knew it was a short loaner so I just put it back on the old G4, which had the plus of allowing me to tweak the scans on the MBP while it was chugging along, so I didn't put all that much into getting it to work on the MBP. And now that I have to return it I'm jonesing for a decent scanner of my own.

Pentax K-3 Pentax K-5 Tamron AF 28-75mm F/2.8 XR Di LD Aspherical (IF) Pentax smc DA 18-135mm F3.5-5.6ED AL [IF] DC WR Pentax smc FA 50mm F1.4 +1 more
Conchita Veteran Member • Posts: 9,914

I guess it depends on the model, graybalanced. 10.6 refused completely to see my n1240U, except via the canoscan toolbox.

graybalanced Veteran Member • Posts: 6,286

Conchita wrote:

I guess it depends on the model, graybalanced. 10.6 refused completely to see my n1240U, except via the canoscan toolbox.

Actually, you're right. Mine's a 1240U as well, and I shouldn't have included Image Capture in that. I run the Canon with VueScan.

My corrected statement is that in 10.6.6, my Epson is seen with Image Capture or Vuescan, the Epson, Canon, and Nikon are all seen with Vuescan.

Jon Vermilye Regular Member • Posts: 196

My Epson 3170 Photo works fine with the latest Epson Scan software on OS 10.6.6.
--
http://www.lakeshoreimages.com

Jon Vermilye's gear list:Jon Vermilye's gear list
Nikon 8-15mm F3.5-4.5 fisheye
geekazoid New Member • Posts: 17

I am using the Epson 3590 Photo with Snow Leopard 10.6.6 (Mac Pro)

The OSX software recognized the Scanner and it works with the built in OSX scanning software. I can even share the scanner to my daughters Windows 7 machine.

No problem with the Scanner on 10.6.6

Larry73 Forum Member • Posts: 71

My Canon 8800F Canoscan scanner works great with 10.6.6 using the current driver downloaded from the Canon website.
Larry

OP vdubreeze Senior Member • Posts: 1,324

Thanks for all the responses. Turns out V5 doesn't support the 5000F anymore. According to Canon it won't see it. I'll be looking into newer Canons like the 8800 and 9000.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads