Which memory card is the best for Canon 60D, SD, SDHC or SDXC?

Started Feb 27, 2011 | Discussions
adonetok Regular Member • Posts: 152

Michael Edward Rudge Veteran Member • Posts: 7,091
Re: Which memory card is the best for Canon 60D, SD, SDHC or SDXC?

I use a Transcend SDHC (Class 10) 16 GB and it rocks and cheap on Amazon

PS watch when you remove it from the Canon 60D, last time mine shot 20 feet across the stage
--

http://s185.photobucket.com/albums/x223/eirianfa2002/?albumview=slideshow&mediafilter=images

http://s185.photobucket.com/albums/x223/eirianfa2002/Komandoo%202008/?albumview=grid

Michael Edward Rudge's gear list:Michael Edward Rudge's gear list
Canon EOS 60D Canon EF 50mm F1.8 STM Canon Pixma MG5350
redsars Forum Member • Posts: 60

I use SanDisk Extreme Class 10 (30MB/s) SDHC in my 60D. Work well for HD video and shooting. I did try the SanDisk Ultra Class 6 (15MB/s), but these were too slow for video, and the buffer constantly overrun. Best place to buy them isAmazon.

Alvin Nunley Veteran Member • Posts: 4,305
No need to wonder.......

unless you want to shoot a lot of video. I would think you would want the fastest card you can get if you're planning to shoot a lot of video. The 16gig would hold a lot of video, and my plan is not to put all my eggs in one basket.
--
Taking pictures is easy, making them art is hard. (al nunley)
Try not, Do, or Do Not. (yoda)

Alvin Nunley's gear list:Alvin Nunley's gear list
Canon PowerShot SX520
ShawnCo Senior Member • Posts: 1,356

The only difference in the formats you mention is capacity limitations. You should probably write-off "SD" - I think you won't find any larger than 4GB and to be honest, I am not sure memory card manufacturers even make them still. SDHC and SDXC are higher capacity cards but that doesn't mean you have to get the biggest card.

You also need to consider which "class" of card they are. The class indicates the minimum "speed" of the card. Obviously the faster the better especially if you are shooting a lot of frames in a burst mode or if you are shooting video.

At this point in time, I would suggest SDHC as a good starting place.

shelley Regular Member • Posts: 127
SDHC for 60D, what class and speed for video?

I've never had an SDHC card and was wondering what would be best for video/photos on the Canon 60D?

shelley Regular Member • Posts: 127
Re: SDHC for 60D, what class and speed for video?

I want a very dependable card and I'm looking at the Trascend class 10 16G. I shoot weddings so I need something reliable. SanDisk is to expensive for my budget. How many cards do you think I'll need if I'm shooting raw? I shoot about 1500-2000 images per wedding and I might do some video with that.

Thanks!

Bebert Regular Member • Posts: 135

A quick estimate of 1.3MB per MP of resolution for RAW gives a minimum of three 16 GB cards (about 850 images per card). But it depends quite a bit on ISO and the complexity of the scene so that's just a ballpark figure. It will be more if you shoot a lot of video. Don't forget that you can also use MRAW and SRAW if you don't need the full resolution.

-- hide signature --

Eric

JGilchrist New Member • Posts: 4

On a 60D you'll get somewhere around 500-550 RAW images on a 16G card. Video eats file space also. If you're shooting 2000 images per wedding, you'll want at least 5 cards.

TimR32225 Veteran Member • Posts: 3,431
This thread is over a year old...

This thread is over a year old.

I think the OP probably bought some memory cards by now...
--
Photoblog at: http://timrucciphotography.blogspot.com/
Gallery at: http://www.timrucci.com

TimR32225's gear list:TimR32225's gear list
Canon EOS-1D Mark IV Canon EOS-1D X Canon EF 15mm f/2.8 Fisheye Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS USM Canon EF 500mm f/4.0L IS USM +12 more
ScottD1964 Senior Member • Posts: 1,935

You shoot weddings and San Disk are too expensive for your budget? That is a horrible excuse. You can get a SanDisk 8 GB SDHC Memory Card Extreme Pro Class 10 UHS-I for $30. It's the best SD card they make. This is your "film". It is the absolutely worst place for any photographer let alone someone being paid as a photographer to "cheap out". One failure from a cheap media card at a wedding and your reputation is shot. Neither brides nor their mothers are very forgiving when it comes to missed photos.

Do you realize how much money on rolls of film and processing costs are saved in that 1 $30 card in its lifetime. Buy 4 or 5 and then buy 4 or 5 more as back up if you're shooting raw. Even the best media is cheap in the scheme of things.. I used to spend a minimum $200 per game (NFL, NHL, MLB) on 36exp fujichrome and processing. Now I can fit those same 720 images (if shooting .jpeg) on one 8GB card on my 7D with space to spare. Empty the card and do it all over again.

Never shoot one 16Gb or 32gb card. All eggs in one basket is just asking for disaster. Split onto smaller cards. As a larger card gets filled it takes longer to write files. Especially if shooting raw.

Flame away people.

Scott

ScottD1964's gear list:ScottD1964's gear list
Fujifilm X-E2 Fujifilm X-Pro2 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 23mm F2 R WR +1 more
ScottD1964 Senior Member • Posts: 1,935

Ugh. All that and I missed the date of the post too. Oh well. Time to climb off my soapbox, lol.

Scott

ScottD1964's gear list:ScottD1964's gear list
Fujifilm X-E2 Fujifilm X-Pro2 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 23mm F2 R WR +1 more
Michele Till New Member • Posts: 1

If your budget is considerable enough to buy a 32GB SanDisk Extreme Pro 90MB/s   -This Memory card is going to provide you with Capacity, High writing and reading speed (90MB/s), you have to consider buying something good the first time.

Orphyux New Member • Posts: 1

I have been using 8gb 45mbps for years and they work fantastic.  The speed simply blows away anything slower if you are doing pure photography.  I just ordered a 32gb 90mbps, I can't wait to try that out on rapid shutter.

mooseMajestic New Member • Posts: 1
Re: This thread is over a year old...

TimR32225 wrote:

This thread is over a year old.

I think the OP probably bought some memory cards by now...
--
Photoblog at: http://timrucciphotography.blogspot.com/
Gallery at: http://www.timrucci.com

True, but other folks may need an answer as well. Keep the replies coming!

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads