Tokina 11-16MM F/2.8 ATX 116 for Canon Opinions/Results?

Started Feb 23, 2011 | Discussions
Mike717 Regular Member • Posts: 223
Tokina 11-16MM F/2.8 ATX 116 for Canon Opinions/Results?

I'm using a Canon T2i and I'm looking to add/upgrade my lenses and a wide angle is one of them. At first I was looking at the Tamron AF 10-24mm f/3.5-4.5 SP and then I was shown the Tokina 11-16MM F/2.8 ATX 116. It's a faster lens which I like, slightly less distortion, better build and the camera store rep who's a pro and knows me said the IQ is better. The sample shots I took outside only on streets looked very good on my PC.

I mainly want to use this for landscapes and occasional group shots.

Any opinions on the perfomance and IQ of this lens would be appreciated. It looks much better than the Tamron.

Thanks,
Mike

Jaded Snapper Regular Member • Posts: 376
Re: Tokina 11-16MM F/2.8 ATX 116 for Canon Opinions/Results?

I'm very happy with my Nikon version of this lens.

Douglass
Douglass Forum Member • Posts: 51

I too have the Nikon-mount version, and I've found it to be better than I expected. At 2.8 it's very soft, but it sharpens up quickly as aperture decreases. At f7 it's really amazingly sharp over all the field, but by f16 diffraction takes its toll. It's not so wide that perspective distortion makes it tiresome to shoot, but you still have to keep an eye on the verticals. I don't get the automatic optical distortion and colour correction that I'd get with a Nikon lens, but software can fix this fairly easily. Sometimes my (spot) autofocus has a little trouble with it, but manual focus works surprisingly well.

It's a lot of fun to use. Indoors, you can get more of a room in the shot than you ever thought possible, and outdoors you can get cool, in-focus depth-enhancing foregrounds that pull you into the picture. Looking forward to using it in London's tourist attractions, even though I originally didn't think I'd be bringing it along.

It does show flare when the sun catches the lens, but it's small enough to clone out if it bothers you. On my D7000 body it front-focused moderately at 11mm, but not at 16mm, so I've tuned autofocus to +10 to suit my typical subjects. Of course, this varies with the camera, and manual focus or liveview aren't affected.

All in all, a worthwhile purchase.

Marla
Marla Veteran Member • Posts: 8,993

This was my favorite lens on my Canon dslrs. It is very sharp, great color and I couldn't find any problems with it at all. I didn't think I would use it as much as I did until I put it on the camera!

I had to sell my Canon equipment due to the weight - after an accident I couldn't carry the dslr and heavier lenses around anmore for long periods of time. It was difficult for me to sell this lens!

IMO you can't go wrong!

Maria

Marla's gear list:Marla's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Olympus PEN-F Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic Leica D Summilux Asph 25mm F1.4 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R +1 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads