fEE Error on nikon d7000, aperture ring is already locked

Started Feb 19, 2011 | Discussions
jamiesmithnc New Member • Posts: 5
fEE Error on nikon d7000, aperture ring is already locked

Hi All-

I am having trouble with my wife's d7000 and 50mm f/1.8 D nikon lens. Note that this combination has worked before.

The lens is set to f/22, with the aperture ring locked. When I put it on the camera the display shows 'fEE', which is supposed to be "Lens aperture ring is not set to minimum aperture" (which, it is). The DX 35mm lens works fine.

I also have a d90 body- and the 50mm lens works fine on that, as-is. I don't have any other "D" lenses laying around.

Any other ideas?

How does this setting get communicated to the camera for a D lens? is it electronic, or mechanical? Nothing LOOKS wrong in the camera lens mount area.

The firmware has been updated to 1.01, and that didn't help.

Thanks,

-jamie

Rod Phifer Regular Member • Posts: 135
Re: fEE Error on nikon d7000, aperture ring is already locked

Have you tried cleaning the metal contacts on the lenses with a cloth? I had a siimilar issue once before, and that did the trick for me

 Rod Phifer's gear list:Rod Phifer's gear list
Nikon D850 Tamron SP 70-200 F2.8 G2 Tamron SP 24-70mm F2.8 G2 Sigma 85mm F1.4 Art Tamron SP 45mm F1.8 Di VC USD
Van Griff Senior Member • Posts: 1,256
Re: fEE Error on nikon d7000, aperture ring is already locked

Jamie

Try unlocking the aperture ring . . . rotate the ring a few times . . . reset to f/22 . . . then relock again.
Perhaps it is not quite set properly where it is.

Also . . . wipe all metal contacts with a soft cloth . . . the new camera will be shipped with a protective coating on the metal contacts and their may be some film residue there preventing proper contact.

Regards,
Van Griff

 Van Griff's gear list:Van Griff's gear list
Nikon D700 Nikon D7000 Nikon D810 Nikon AF Nikkor 105mm f/2D DC Nikon AF-S Nikkor 17-35mm f/2.8D ED-IF +30 more
OP jamiesmithnc New Member • Posts: 5
Re: fEE Error on nikon d7000, aperture ring is already locked

I tried cleaning the contacts (on both the body & the lens), and futzing with the aperture ring. Neither helped.

I did verify that, at least at one point, this lens worked on the camera. I have pictures to prove it

genece Forum Pro • Posts: 15,434
Re: fEE Error on nikon d7000, aperture ring is already locked

I had that problem with the 50mm and a D80.........my solution was.... do not use the lens release button when installing the lens
--
Gene from Western Pa

http://imageevent.com/grc6
http://grc225.zenfolio.com/
FZ 30
D50 ....D80 - 18 to 200VR- 50mm 1.8 - 80 to 400 OS

Just trying to learn and it's slow going!

 genece's gear list:genece's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ30 Nikon D7000 Nikon D50 Nikon D7100
sillyconguru Veteran Member • Posts: 3,057
Re: fEE Error on nikon d7000, aperture ring is already locked

jamiesmithnc wrote:

How does this setting get communicated to the camera for a D lens? is it electronic, or mechanical? Nothing LOOKS wrong in the camera lens mount area.

The communication is mechanical; the D7000 uses the lens' AI indexing ridge, the D90 uses the lens' EE-servo tab. Check that the lens' aperture ring hasn't suffered any damage.

 sillyconguru's gear list:sillyconguru's gear list
Canon ELPH 100 HS Pentax Optio I-10 Casio QV-5500SX Fujifilm FinePix X100 Fujifilm X20 +54 more
OP jamiesmithnc New Member • Posts: 5
Re: fEE Error on nikon d7000, aperture ring is already locked

sillyconguru wrote:

jamiesmithnc wrote:

How does this setting get communicated to the camera for a D lens? is it electronic, or mechanical? Nothing LOOKS wrong in the camera lens mount area.

The communication is mechanical; the D7000 uses the lens' AI indexing ridge, the D90 uses the lens' EE-servo tab. Check that the lens' aperture ring hasn't suffered any damage.

The lens looks fine as well. I am going to try to go to a store tomorrow, with the lens and body, to see which is at fault.

Thanks for the help!

OP jamiesmithnc New Member • Posts: 5
Re: fEE Error on nikon d7000, aperture ring is already locked

genece wrote:

I had that problem with the 50mm and a D80.........my solution was.... do not use the lens release button when installing the lens
--
Gene from Western Pa

http://imageevent.com/grc6
http://grc225.zenfolio.com/
FZ 30
D50 ....D80 - 18 to 200VR- 50mm 1.8 - 80 to 400 OS

Just trying to learn and it's slow going!

I missed this one. Unfortunately, that didn't help either. Thanks

OP jamiesmithnc New Member • Posts: 5
Re: fEE Error on nikon d7000, aperture ring is already locked

Well, shipped it off to Nikon today...

Hopefully they will figure out what is wrong. I will post an update when it gets back.

mtlr Regular Member • Posts: 294
Re: fEE Error on nikon d7000, aperture ring is already locked

jamiesmithnc wrote:

Well, shipped it off to Nikon today...

Hopefully they will figure out what is wrong. I will post an update when it gets back.

Please do, Jamie, I just got my new D7000 with the same fEE error problem on all 3 AFD lenses I own (35/2, 85/1.4 and 80-400) and I'll appreciate your update on what did Nikon found/repaired.

 mtlr's gear list:mtlr's gear list
Fujifilm X-T1
AV Janus Senior Member • Posts: 1,994
Re: fEE Error on nikon d7000, aperture ring is already locked

Now THAT sounds bad...!
Hopefully jou will get the matter resolved.

mtlr wrote:

jamiesmithnc wrote:

Well, shipped it off to Nikon today...

Hopefully they will figure out what is wrong. I will post an update when it gets back.

Please do, Jamie, I just got my new D7000 with the same fEE error problem on all 3 AFD lenses I own (35/2, 85/1.4 and 80-400) and I'll appreciate your update on what did Nikon found/repaired.

-- hide signature --

Rick Halle wrote:

" Keep in mind that tall buildings sway back and forth so they require faster shutter speeds."

 AV Janus's gear list:AV Janus's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus OM-D E-M10 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm F4.0-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12-50mm 1:3.5-6.3 EZ Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R +10 more
NYC amateur New Member • Posts: 4
Re: fEE Error on nikon d7000, aperture ring is already locked

Hi All-

I had the exact same problem. Though my D7000 and 50mm Nikon lens had worked before, they stopped working together. When I mounted the 50mm lens I got the fEE error. My lens worked on other cameras and my camera worked with other lenses.

I took the camera in for repair. Turns out there was a broken part in the camera lens mount area. The part number is 1H998-164. It is a small plastic part that is about half a centimeter wide at its narrowest point.

PhotoTech at 97 Nassau Street in New York replaced the part. The tech there, JC, saved me from having to ship the camera to Nikon.

I am a bit disappointed that my new (less than six weeks old) DSLR is so delicate. This part is 1-1/2" long and very thin. It breaks easily. Handle these Nikons with care.

NYC amateur New Member • Posts: 4
Re: fEE Error on nikon d7000, aperture ring is already locked

Here is a picture of the broken part.

Jarski Mela Forum Member • Posts: 52
Re: fEE Error on nikon d7000, aperture ring is already locked
JORGE ALMEIDA New Member • Posts: 1
Re: fEE Error on nikon d7000, aperture ring is already locked

You have to set the f6: Customize Command Dials / Aperture setting to OFF. Hope it helps!

harpo95993 Regular Member • Posts: 123
Re: fEE Error on nikon d7000, aperture ring is already locked

JORGE ALMEIDA wrote:

You have to set the f6: Customize Command Dials / Aperture setting to OFF. Hope it helps!

Question.  This only matters if the Aperture ring is set to anything other than the smallest aperture correct?

 harpo95993's gear list:harpo95993's gear list
Nikon D7100 Fujifilm X-T20 Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 23mm F2 R WR +27 more
(unknown member) Senior Member • Posts: 2,071
Re: fEE Error on nikon d7000, aperture ring is already locked

harpo95993 wrote:

JORGE ALMEIDA wrote:

You have to set the f6: Customize Command Dials / Aperture setting to OFF. Hope it helps!

Question. This only matters if the Aperture ring is set to anything other than the smallest aperture correct?

When using a 'D' type lens the lens must be set to the smallest aperture regardless of the custom setting f6, per the manual page 233: if OFF is selected, the Main Command Dial (under your thumb on the rear of the camera) is used to change shutter speed, and the 'Sub Command Dial' is used to control aperture. Use ON to use the 'Main Command Dial' to change aperture in 'A' and 'M' modes, and the 'Sub Command Dial' to change shutter speeds in 'S' and 'M' modes.

If the aperture ring is set to other settings the lens has to be entered into the 'Non CPU Lens Data (page 159), and used in 'A' or 'M' modes (if you would want to do that).

-- hide signature --
(unknown member) Senior Member • Posts: 2,071
Re: fEE Error on nikon d7000, aperture ring is already locked

MRM4350 wrote:

If the aperture ring is set to other settings the lens has to be entered into the 'Non CPU Lens Data (page 159), and used in 'A' or 'M' modes (if you would want to do that).

Well I just tried this, and it is wrong. A AF-D lens must have the aperture ring set to the smallest aperture (largest number, i.e. f/16, f/22, f/32), and will not function as a non CPU lens.

I apologize for the wrong info.

-- hide signature --
harpo95993 Regular Member • Posts: 123
Re: fEE Error on nikon d7000, aperture ring is already locked

MRM4350 wrote:

MRM4350 wrote:


If the aperture ring is set to other settings the lens has to be entered into the 'Non CPU Lens Data (page 159), and used in 'A' or 'M' modes (if you would want to do that).

Well I just tried this, and it is wrong. A AF-D lens must have the aperture ring set to the smallest aperture (largest number, i.e. f/16, f/22, f/32), and will not function as a non CPU lens.

I apologize for the wrong info.

Yes I verified it as well.  Thanks for the info.

 harpo95993's gear list:harpo95993's gear list
Nikon D7100 Fujifilm X-T20 Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 23mm F2 R WR +27 more
Patco Forum Pro • Posts: 13,687
Zombie thread

JORGE ALMEIDA wrote:

You have to set the f6: Customize Command Dials / Aperture setting to OFF. Hope it helps!

Wrong answer, I believe, but the OP has probably sorted out his problem during the 2 years since posting.

-- hide signature --

Patco
A photograph is more than a bunch of pixels

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads