K-5: Is Your Electronic Level Accurate?

Started Feb 16, 2011 | Discussions
Lucky Sky Senior Member • Posts: 1,795
K-5: Is Your Electronic Level Accurate?

A friend & I both own K-5s. We observe on the two K-5s that the viewfinder electronic level is not accurate. We both did a controlled test against a known level object with both cameras. They both yield somewhat crooked images when the level through the viewfinder indicates spot on level.

When the level indication is ignored, a perfectly level image can be obtained. But the electronic levels on the two cameras show not level by one bar either side of center.

Anyone else observe this?
--
Lucky Sky
I'd rather be lucky than good

Lucky Sky's gear list:Lucky Sky's gear list
Nikon D810 Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 105mm F2.8G IF-ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm F4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm F4G ED VR Tamron 15-30mm F2.8
John Cafarella Contributing Member • Posts: 986
Re: K-5: Is Your Electronic Level Accurate?

Well I wouldn't use it to build a house, but mine is pretty much ok.
--
John Cafarella
Melbourne, Australia

narddogg81 Senior Member • Posts: 1,029
duncsuss Contributing Member • Posts: 933

Was your known level object the full width of the viewfinder?

-- hide signature --

Duncan

(unknown member) Veteran Member • Posts: 6,759
Better double check with bubble level

b4 drawing any solid conclusion. The confusing part is that either the viewfinder or the CMOS, or both can be tilted. If that's the case, the digital level may not be the source of problem. Software adjusting the digital level will be the fastest solution though.
--
http://www.pbase.com/wlachan

OP Lucky Sky Senior Member • Posts: 1,795

Duncan-

Was your known level object the full width of the viewfinder?

Yes.

-- hide signature --

Lucky Sky

Nikon D810 Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 105mm F2.8G IF-ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm F4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm F4G ED VR Tamron 15-30mm F2.8
OP Lucky Sky Senior Member • Posts: 1,795
Re: Better double check with bubble level

wlachan wrote:

b4 drawing any solid conclusion. The confusing part is that either the viewfinder or the CMOS, or both can be tilted. If that's the case, the digital level may not be the source of problem. Software adjusting the digital level will be the fastest solution though.

Agreed.........that would be a perfect solution.

-- hide signature --

Lucky Sky

Gerardus Forum Member • Posts: 52

My K5 is oke...but my K7 is way, way off and unusable therefor !!
Desparate need to have calibrate option in firmware !

Something like : Put your camera on a known flat, horizontal surface and press calibrate button in tools menu. THAT WOULD BE GREAT !

Correction of the CMOS should happen accordingly and be possible since the SR does support rotation as well.
--
K5, the BEST there is

Gerardus's gear list:Gerardus's gear list
Pentax Optio WG-2 GPS Pentax 645D Pentax K-3 Nikon D810 Pentax K-1
transeyoshi New Member • Posts: 11

My K-5 has the same problem. When I put K5 and another Pentax DSLR on the same table side by side, I found 2 camera's level showed differently. Mine has been already sent to Pentax Japan tech service center. Yoshi

Kikool Contributing Member • Posts: 601

I totally agree on that,

My K-5 is nearly perfect, I mean it depends on the expectations. Sometimes it seems to be rotated to the right up to .42 degrees (Lightroom says so..), sometimes it's spot on. Well, I'd like to be able to calibrate that to be sure.

As regards to the K-7... It really needs to be calibrated !

Thanks

Kikool's gear list:Kikool's gear list
Pentax K-7 Pentax K-5 Pentax K-1 +1 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads