Is the 7D worth >$500 more than the 60D?

Started Feb 15, 2011 | Discussions
Ingersoll Junior Member • Posts: 43
Is the 7D worth >$500 more than the 60D?

So with the announcement of the 600D I see the price of the 60D has been dropping like a stone the last couple weeks. I've outgrown my Nikon D90 and was set to get a Nikon D7000 until I saw how painfully small the buffer is vs the Canon 60D. I'm a bit concerned that I've heard the 60D mocked as a "super Rebel" and the 600D seems to drive that point home further.

I've got my sights narrowed to either the 60D or a 7D. I know I get a fair amount more in the 7D with greater fps, more and better AF points, 100% view, etc. I'm just not sure those things are worth the current $500 premium. i've also heard Canon is due to release some rebates 2/20 including a $200 rebate on the 7D and $100 on the 60D.

For those who might have shot with both, is the AF THAT much better on the 7D vs the 60D. I'm guessing that would be the biggest tipping point for me, just not sure it's worth 30% of the cost of the 60D.

Thanks all!

jl_smith Veteran Member • Posts: 3,817
Re: Is the 7D worth >$500 more than the 60D?

Why would you switch systems? Get a good used D300 for the price of a 60D if you've outgrown the D90

jl_smith's gear list:jl_smith's gear list
Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 16mm F1.4 R WR Fujifilm XF 10-24mm F4 R OIS Fujifilm XF 35mm F2 R WR
OP Ingersoll Junior Member • Posts: 43

Aside from the D90 kit lens and a Sigma zoom I don't have much of an investment in Nikon gear so it would be pretty painless.

sleibson Regular Member • Posts: 440

You're not going to see much IQ difference among Canon's 18-Mpixel bodies. So the 7D/60D differences are:

1. Focusing system: 7D has more AF points and a dedicated AF processor that the 60D lacks. That said, my 60D focuses hella fast, a lot faster than my 20D and 9 AF points are more than I need. Only you can decide how much "fast" is enough for AF. I've read with some amusement the trials some people have with the 7D's AF. It's clear that some 7Ds have focusing problems and need a trip to the factory for recalibration. It's also clear that some users knock the 7D because it fails to read their minds and figure out what they're trying to focus on.

2. 7D has faster burst rate. Is the 60D's nearly 6 frames/sec enough? Only you can say.

3. 7D has more weatherproofing. You still can't soak it, the insides are still electronic and they can rot from salt+moisture.

4. The 60D has an articulated screen that the 7D currently lacks. To me, that's worth a lot. I now have two Canon's with articulated screens (60D, G11). For me, there's no going back. Despit what some say, it ain't just for video. It's also for waist-level shooting, self shooting, macro photography, and a few other neat tricks.

5. 60D is lighter.

6. 7D uses CF cards, 60D uses SD cards. All related complaints aside, a properly purchased card keeps up with the camera, CF or SD. A cheap SD card will not keep up with the 60D's HD video.

7. Lots of complaints about the 60D's "plastic-y" feel and revised AF controller that's now embedded inside of the rear wheel. Are these criticism's valid? Only one way to tell: go pick up the camera and decide what's right for you. I never got used to the original AF joystick on my 20D so the 60D's controller suits me at least as well. Other's feel differently.

8. Calling the 60D a "super Rebel" is completely unjustified in my opinion. The 60D has XXD ergonomics not supplied by any Rebel. I understand that others' opinions may differ. Again, you have to decide if the ergonomics are worth it.

The 60D is a superior camera, based on my 5 years of experience with the 20D and 35 years of experience with a parade of Canon SLRs. I am sure that the 7D is also a superior camera. You'd better be a stellar photographer to stretch either camera body. I can't come close. In my opinion, the 60D is a stellar machine. By the way, ditto for the T3i.

-- hide signature --

Steve Leibson

Shooting with Canons for 35+ years

sleibson's gear list:sleibson's gear list
Canon PowerShot G12 Canon EOS 60D Canon EOS Rebel SL1 Canon EOS 20D Canon EF-S 18-135mm F3.5-5.6 IS +10 more
RLJSlick
RLJSlick Contributing Member • Posts: 628

Depend on what you shooting. i tend to shoot fast moving birds and sporting events, so the ton of AF points and the faster burst rate is well worth it to me.

-- hide signature --
krob78 Regular Member • Posts: 175

YES! I've owned both, since you asked. I returned the 60D after 2 weeks. I didn't feel like I had as much control over my shot settings that I would like and it didn't get me the results I was looking for, as in some of the below shots taken with BIF. Not all below are BIF, but you get the idea.

The focusing array of the 7D is phenomenal... learning curve? Yes. Worth it? You bet it is... I've not looked back or regreted the upgrade or the extra bucks to get it, not for one second. If you get it, you'll likely love it and wonder what you were ever wondering about!

Cheers!
Ken

komode New Member • Posts: 10

Yes it's easily worth the xtra $$$

steinr98 Regular Member • Posts: 410

I have the 7D and Love it- If you set up back focusing, and AI Servo, I shot some ducks yesterday and the lens follows and focuses like a dream. The double processor lets you just keep shooting as long as you have a fast card. I have not used the 60D, but would not trade the 7D for anything. Last season I shot a Rodeo - on High speed shutter(8fps) and shot 2400 pictures.. I never missed a shot- for a fast moving photo the 7 D is outstanding!! March outdoor Photo has an article by Lepp on AI servo- it will keep focusing until you let up on the back button- So you can quit focusing anytime you wish. This is a custom function setting. One person's opinion!!
--
Steinr98

steinr98's gear list:steinr98's gear list
Canon EOS 400D Canon EOS 300D Tamron SP AF 17-50mm F/2.8 XR Di II LD Aspherical (IF) Sigma 8-16mm F4.5-5.6 DC HSM Canon EF 70-200mm f/4.0L USM +9 more
steinr98 Regular Member • Posts: 410

I forgot one really important item- I shot an indoor photo with regular flour. lighting@ 2000 ISO and no noise... not one bit - again I have not shot the 60D so I am not familiar with that camera however the ISO factor is great on the 7D. I can shoot 800 ISO all day with little noise (altho I don't)
--
Steinr98

steinr98's gear list:steinr98's gear list
Canon EOS 400D Canon EOS 300D Tamron SP AF 17-50mm F/2.8 XR Di II LD Aspherical (IF) Sigma 8-16mm F4.5-5.6 DC HSM Canon EF 70-200mm f/4.0L USM +9 more
Birdman50 Contributing Member • Posts: 834

Ingersoll wrote:

For those who might have shot with both, is the AF THAT much better on the 7D vs the 60D. I'm guessing that would be the biggest tipping point for me, just not sure it's worth 30% of the cost of the 60D.

Thanks all!

The 7D is faster in initial acquisition than the 60D by a few milliseconds, in my estimate. However, if FPS is not much of a concern, the 60D can AF and track just as well as the 7D in most circumstances, including BIF's.

Whether the 500 USD is justifiable based on AF alone, my humble opinion in "No". However, the 7D is worth the additional money if you take into account the wholes package.

Sincerely,

BobbyK

-- hide signature --

To God be all the Glory!

Birdman50's gear list:Birdman50's gear list
Canon EOS 80D Nikon D7200 Nikon D7500
Ph0b0s New Member • Posts: 13

I am in the same position and considering the 7D over 60D. I'd like to ask owners to summarize the facts related to the 7D vertical binding. There are lots of talks have been sometimes emotional. I don't want to spark it again just to enumerate the facts. As I see they are

• Every 7D body suffers from noise pattern no matter firmware version it has

• Noise patterns appear at ISO100

• Underexposed shots suffers most

mforbes Regular Member • Posts: 378

Hi, I have the 60D and the Nikon D7000, I had a 7D that I purchased about a month ago and returned it, the copy I had was unusable, forget operator error argument, my Canon rep shot some frames with it and basically said it was a "bad example." I like both the 60D and the D7000, the buffer "limitation" on the Nikon is a non issue for me, if I can't get the shot in 10 or so swings at it then that's a me problem, not the camera's. If you have to have high speed continuous shooting for the type of work you do, and need consistency none of these three fit the bill, need to look at the 1D series. So to answer your question, no, the 7D is not worth $500.00 more than the 60D, but the D7000 is worth $300.00 more than the 60D.

mforbes's gear list:mforbes's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LC1 Canon PowerShot A720 IS Sony Cyber-shot DSC-R1 Nikon D700 Nikon D7000 +35 more
JAE1 Regular Member • Posts: 109

I made this descision last week and went with the 60D. I got it for $899, and the 7D was sitting at $1550 on Amazon. After looking at the difference between the two I decided to go for the one that was $650 cheaper.

While I'm sure the 7D is a better camera overall, I don't shoot fast moving subjects and I am happy with the build quality of the 60D. I do a lot of studio/model shots, so the 60D also shoots fast enough. Even with my old Rebel I never ran into a situation where I'm shooting faster then a model can change her poses. Plus I already had a stack of SD cards so getting a 7D would cost more replacing those.

Really just depends on what you shoot and how much cash you have laying around. We have some people in this thread that can get great use out of the 7D, then someone like me who really doesn't need all the features.

Although I think this weekend I'm going to try and shoot something fast moving just to see how it does. This thread has me intrigued.

Brian D. Schneider
Brian D. Schneider Forum Pro • Posts: 18,225

Ph0b0s wrote:

I am in the same position and considering the 7D over 60D. I'd like to ask owners to summarize the facts related to the 7D vertical binding. There are lots of talks have been sometimes emotional. I don't want to spark it again just to enumerate the facts. As I see they are

• Every 7D body suffers from noise pattern no matter firmware version it has

Not true

• Noise patterns appear at ISO100

No not all 7Ds

• Underexposed shots suffers most

Same with any model/brand

-- hide signature --

Brian Schneider

OP Ingersoll Junior Member • Posts: 43

Thanks all for your informed and thoughtful input.

I think I'll sit tight a few more days to see what shakes out with the rumored 60D/7D rebates coming this weekend. I also see the Nikon D7000 "body only" is starting to show up in stock in more places so that may put some additional price pressure on the 60D as well. With any luck I'll be making a decision and purchase within the next week.

Thanks again for the ideas and input!

wolfbane Senior Member • Posts: 1,130

Hello Ingersoll,

Been a Nikon user since about 1980 (FM then Coolpix, then d70).

Went over to Canon (a) for a change and (b) to see
if the Canon lenses were as good as they were cracked
up to be. Although if Nikon had made a half sensibly sized and
priced cut-down D700...................

7d plus 17-40 f4 "L" and 60mm EFS macro suggests it was a good
move.

Might have been nice to get a Nikon FF and get my AI lenses
"back" but I very much doubt that the 50mm and 28mm primes
could beat the 17-40mm zoom. And the 60mm macro "doubles"
as a short telephoto that beats the bejasus out of my 135mm f2.8 AI.

Go for it!

Alistair

2014imaging Forum Member • Posts: 85

Ingersoll wrote:

Thanks all for your informed and thoughtful input.

I think I'll sit tight a few more days to see what shakes out with the rumored 60D/7D rebates coming this weekend. I also see the Nikon D7000 "body only" is starting to show up in stock in more places so that may put some additional price pressure on the 60D as well. With any luck I'll be making a decision and purchase within the next week.

Thanks again for the ideas and input!

Regarding the Canon rebates, it is not unusual for prices to actually be same or higher during rebate period. I am sure some others here can speak to that as well.
I had a 7D and it I liked it better than 5D MkII in many respects.

As to whether 60D is a 'super rebel' I totally don't get anyone turning away because of that; would you prefer it be called a T3i on steroids? Actually, I like that better.
--
2014imaging

AE1 Regular Member • Posts: 189

I have both and I like 7D better. I don't know if the image quality is better, but controls and feel of the 7D is worth $500 for me.

Answer to your question is, if $500 is important go with 60D, if you don't mind paying the difference but just curious go with 60D.
Swivel screen? It is not a plus for me at all.
--
Not Signed

Snafte New Member • Posts: 2

I have the 7D and have used the 60D a lot... I can honestly say it is worth the extra money! weather proofing is vitally important for me as i spend a lot of time on the water and in average conditions. I did a hike with 7D and a 24-105mm F4 L and the camera got drenched in a down pour, and is yet to miss a beat!

As a consumer grade camera the 60D is awesome, however i find it a bit tacky compared to the 7D... i feel the swivel screen makes it feel cheap, and it does not feel nearly as solid at the 7D.

the AF on the 7D has been spectacular for me, i use it to shoot Marlin and Sailfish jumping out the water, and it focus's like a dream!!

i guess if money is a big issues, then considering the 60D with an awesome lens would be a fantastic camera!

Either way as long as you go for a canon and not a nikon you'll be sweet (lol jk just wanted to ruff up some feathers)

Enjoy shooting!

2011nikonian Forum Member • Posts: 61

I rented a 60D since I owned a 30D and Sigma 17-70 + Canon 50 mm and 430EX Flash, but I ended up buying the Nikon D7000, 60D is not the same camera as the 30D-50D. I won't get into technical comparison, but I did not feel the IQ difference (except the file size).

Depending on the Nikon lenses you have, give a serious thought to D7000

2011nikonian's gear list:2011nikonian's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX30V Sony Cyber-shot DSC-W610 Nikon D7000 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR +3 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads