FZ40 vs. FZ100 (Macro)

Started Feb 8, 2011 | Discussions
Starcade New Member • Posts: 6
FZ40 vs. FZ100 (Macro)

Hello all!

I have searched this forum for this topic and could not find a debate on the FZ40 vs. FZ100 that I could fully understand given my knowledge in photography. I am an extreme amateur photographer who loves macro photography (both inside and outside) and I'm currently looking at the FZ40 vs. the FZ100. I am sick of using a dinky $99 point and shoot camera and would love to upgrade to a more "professional" investment. I cannot afford anything higher in price than $379, which is what the FZ100 is listed at. Given the expertise on this forum, what would you guys recommend as the best camera for the job? I will also use the camera for scenery/nature shots while I'm out on a hike or at the park, so I will not be doing 100% macro shooting by any means.

Thanks in advance!

B1ackhat Senior Member • Posts: 1,980
Re: FZ40 vs. FZ100 (Macro)

I had both of these cams, but as I don't shoot macros very often, I can't really comment on that. In general, I found the FZ40 to be sharper and do better with fine detail (underbrush, hair/fur, etc) but I found the FZ100 to have better colors. LT has shot some very nice macros with the FZ100 and he also owns the FZ40 so perhaps he can offer better feedback on those specific types of shots. Based on my own needs, I opted to keep the FZ40, for whatever that's worth.

-- hide signature --

If you abuse or kill animals, children, or the elderly, you deserve to be tortured and killed.

OP Starcade New Member • Posts: 6

This is very helpful. Thank you for your post!

shuttervelocity Regular Member • Posts: 361

My 4-yr old came running..."Daddy, we have a lil cutie bed-bug on the sofa". I grabbed my FZ100 and ran, ready to kill it, at the same time dreading the possibility we might have a bed-bug infestation in our home. Thank God, it wasn't a bed-bug. At least, I hope its not.

FZ100 macro mode. No PP. Just 100% crop from original.

Sam

Midwest Forum Pro • Posts: 18,355

Starcade wrote:

I am sick of using a dinky $99 point and shoot camera and would love to upgrade to a more "professional" investment. I cannot afford anything higher in price than $379, which is what the FZ100 is listed at.

You will certainly do better at macros using either the FZ40 or FZ100, though I would hesitate to call any bridge-camera "professional".

LarryInVA Regular Member • Posts: 132

Don't limit yourself. For macro shots, you may also want to consider the very portable ZS7. One member of the forum has had great success with it.

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/readflat.asp?forum=1033&message=36249942&q=Zs7+macro&qf=m

LarryInVA's gear list:LarryInVA's gear list
Sony RX10 IV ZTE Axon 7
K_art Junior Member • Posts: 42

I was quite pleased with the FZ100 macros I shot over the weekend (you can take a look my latest thread).

For one, the colors and images produced are excellent - I cannot compare the actual quality with any other camera as I had only the Fuji HS10 earlier. The IQ seems far better and sharper in comparison.

B1ackhat Senior Member • Posts: 1,980

shuttervelocity wrote:

My 4-yr old came running..."Daddy, we have a lil cutie bed-bug on the sofa". I grabbed my FZ100 and ran, ready to kill it, at the same time dreading the possibility we might have a bed-bug infestation in our home. Thank God, it wasn't a bed-bug. At least, I hope its not.

Definitely not a bed bug.

It looks like a Brown Ladybug.

Source: http://bugguide.net/node/view/84984/bgpage

-- hide signature --

If you abuse or kill animals, children, or the elderly, you deserve to be tortured and killed.

LTZ470
LTZ470 Forum Pro • Posts: 11,926

FZ100 Macros the FZ40 is as good or better...

LTZ470

FZ40:

Daniel Lowe Senior Member • Posts: 2,355

I am not sure how well the FZ40 is at Macro, but the previous FZ35 model seems to be especially good, especially the tele macro function.
I would expect the FZ40 would give pretty similar results.

OP Starcade New Member • Posts: 6

I appreciate the uploads, LT. The pictures truly show that both cameras have wonderful macro capabilities with the right person standing behind the camera!

virtualgretchen New Member • Posts: 5

Ltz470, These photos of the bugs are gorgeous! Are you using a macro lens? Were these taken with the regular macro setting or the telephoto macro setting?

LTZ470

The Lens Adapter wasn't available when I took the FZ100 shots so they were without any Close Up Lens...they were in AF Macro Mode...but the FZ40 shots of the Butterfly, Feather, and Bee's were taken with LC55 attached to the FZ40, the grasshoppers were without a Close Up Lens using the FZ40 alone in AF Macro Mode...
http://www.flickr.com/photos/46756347@N08/5132974757/meta/in/photostream/

virtualgretchen wrote:

Ltz470, These photos of the bugs are gorgeous! Are you using a macro lens? Were these taken with the regular macro setting or the telephoto macro setting?

tymevest
tymevest Senior Member • Posts: 1,562

I don't normally take macros but tried out the FZ40 on a quarter. It looks yellowed because of the florescent lights. This is at full size/resolution, just cropped.

And one using the macro zoom which is just a digital zoom increase in size.

The area in the red square is shown full size below.

-- hide signature --

Tymevest

tymevest's gear list:tymevest's gear list
Canon EOS 600D Canon EOS 90D Canon EF 50mm F1.8 II Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS Tamron SP 70-300mm F4-5.6 Di VC USD +4 more
kernow Forum Pro • Posts: 12,441

Starcade wrote:

Hello all!

I have searched this forum for this topic and could not find a debate on the FZ40 vs. FZ100 that I could fully understand given my knowledge in photography. I am an extreme amateur photographer who loves macro photography (both inside and outside) and I'm currently looking at the FZ40 vs. the FZ100. I am sick of using a dinky $99 point and shoot camera and would love to upgrade to a more "professional" investment. I cannot afford anything higher in price than $379, which is what the FZ100 is listed at. Given the expertise on this forum, what would you guys recommend as the best camera for the job? I will also use the camera for scenery/nature shots while I'm out on a hike or at the park, so I will not be doing 100% macro shooting by any means.

Thanks in advance!

Depends what your $99 camera is. Some of the cheapest cameras do very good macros. I've been playing with the FZ100 a bit and it does very well at macros, but I also get some equally stunning macro shots with a Fuji I paid $35 for.
--
Oll an gwella,
Jim

cjgbahia Contributing Member • Posts: 607
Re: some FZ100 Macros (no lens)

FYI

-- hide signature --

Cristian

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain."

jdeg Regular Member • Posts: 315

I would think the articulating LCD on the FZ100 would come in handy for outdoor, ground level macro shooting.

cjgbahia Contributing Member • Posts: 607

The LCD is good when the shot angle is not standard. Outdoor often disturbing reflection on the screen so it is necessary to use the viewfinder .-

-- hide signature --

Cristian

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain."

kernow Forum Pro • Posts: 12,441

jdeg wrote:

I would think the articulating LCD on the FZ100 would come in handy for outdoor, ground level macro shooting.

It does. The screen is lovely.
--
Oll an gwella,
Jim

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads