Is auto-ISO in M mode available in 2nd generation Panasonics?

Started Feb 6, 2011 | Discussions
New Daddy Regular Member • Posts: 473
Is auto-ISO in M mode available in 2nd generation Panasonics?

The lack of auto-ISO in the M mode in my GF1 and GH1 has resulted in frustration on a number of occasions. When I need fast shutter speed and large aperture to capture my kids' activities, I go to the manual mode, as I always did with my LX3. But unlike LX3, neither GF1 nor GH1 provides auto ISO in the M mode. This, combined with the fact that the LCD screen is not WYSIWYG, has translated into numerous underexposed shots. Yes, as I get more used to GF1/GH1, I'll probably start to remember to turn on the "shutter speed effect" function, check out the display once more with the shutter speed effect on, and set the ISO accordingly. But this all takes time, and time is really precious when you are shooting kids' activities.

So, my question is, is auto-ISO available in the M mode with the second generation Panasonic u4/3s?

New Daddy's gear list:New Daddy's gear list
Canon PowerShot S95 Olympus TG-820 iHS Nikon D40 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 +7 more
bg2b Contributing Member • Posts: 897
no, but...

The GH2 at least has a continuous preview in manual mode option. If you have that set, then it's something like the preview+shutter speed effect from before, but always on and without the jerkiness. IOW, what you see is what you get. You'll notice the underexposure immediately, though of course you still will have to manually adjust the ISO.

saghost Senior Member • Posts: 1,520
Re: Is auto-ISO in M mode available in 2nd generation Panasonics?

No. Panasonic continues to lock out that possibility, like Sony and Pentax (Pentax is a special case, since they have TAv on the dial, which provides the same function in a more elegant fashion - and is actually the reason companies started doing auto ISO in M - before the K10D, I don't believe any camera could do it,) and most Canon (I think they keep it as a pro feature, and it shows up on only their top tier cameras?)
Walter

mpgxsvcd Veteran Member • Posts: 8,094

Shutter speed priority with Auto ISO is the closest you will get to what you want. However, S priority won't work with legacy lenses. It won't meter in that mode at if the lens doesn't have the electronic contacts.
--
GH2, GF1, & ZS3 Sample movies
http://www.youtube.com/user/mpgxsvcd#play/uploads
http://vimeo.com/user442745
GF1 Pictures
http://www.dpreview.com/galleries/4222674355/albums

mpgxsvcd's gear list:mpgxsvcd's gear list
Panasonic LX100 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Olympus PEN E-PM2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 +5 more
SterlingBjorndahl Senior Member • Posts: 2,245
Intelligent-ISO in GH2

New Daddy wrote:

The lack of auto-ISO in the M mode in my GF1 and GH1 has resulted in frustration on a number of occasions.

The GH2 has "Intelligent ISO" in P-mode, which might do the trick. It'll raise the ISO up to 3200 and shorten the shutter speed to try to stop motion, whether due to subject motion or camera shake. What it does with the aperture is a bit of a gamble, but since its goal is to stop blur it should work out pretty well most of the time.

Sterling
--
Lens Grit

SterlingBjorndahl's gear list:SterlingBjorndahl's gear list
Olympus Air Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85 Panasonic Leica D Vario-Elmar 14-150mm F3.5-5.6 Asph Mega OIS Panasonic Lumix G X Vario PZ 14-42mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-140mm F3.5-5.6 O.I.S +20 more
G1Houston Senior Member • Posts: 2,980

saghost wrote:

No. Panasonic continues to lock out that possibility, like Sony and Pentax (Pentax is a special case, since they have TAv on the dial, which provides the same function in a more elegant fashion - and is actually the reason companies started doing auto ISO in M - before the K10D, I don't believe any camera could do it,) and most Canon (I think they keep it as a pro feature, and it shows up on only their top tier cameras?)
Walter

All Nikon dSLRs in M-mode can do auto-ISO and lack of which in GH1 is frustrating when shooting objects that move from one area to the other with different ISO. Thus GH1 is not my go to camera for this type of photography. If you have to use the GH1 and must use a given value of aperture, you just have to pre-meter the area to select an ISO that is about the average in the area of interest and then fix the mini over- un-exposure issues in post.

G1Houston's gear list:G1Houston's gear list
Nikon D7100 Olympus OM-D E-M10 II Panasonic Lumix DC-GX9 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH +5 more
ggw2000 Contributing Member • Posts: 919

I to am unhappy that my gh1 will not do it- but my OLY E-PL1 will ! Go figure.
Gerry

saghost Senior Member • Posts: 1,520

All recent Nikon dSLRs do Auto ISO in M mode, yes. It started somewhere in the 2006 (D200-D80) timeframe - before that, no one did Auto ISO in M, and then Pentax took a new approach with the K10D (Sv and TAv) which Auto-ISO in M mimics to some extent. I wouldn't be surprised if the industry went entirely over to it in the long run, but at the moment Panasonic is one of several holdouts.
Walter

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads