OMGz0r new 60D C&C Welcomed

Started Feb 6, 2011 | Discussions
Vincent Lindsay Regular Member • Posts: 492
OMGz0r new 60D C&C Welcomed

Say what you want, bad good whatever i need the help

Obligatory dog picture....

Really weird it looks like a toy. Anyways

Fun driving with long exposure, I only wish it wasnt raining here tonight.

yay for smiles helping out

Boo for only getting so many shots before bored but yay for first strobe picture.

Real first photo after testing.

If someone can explain the "ghosting" in the flash picture

Thanks for looking

OP Vincent Lindsay Regular Member • Posts: 492
Re: OMGz0r new 60D

OMG what am i doing

I forgot to give you all a cat picture.

All pictures were OOC. ones with © on them were just uploaded through Picasa to online webalbums

no one?

photofan1986
photofan1986 Veteran Member • Posts: 3,452

I'm the first to comment: Have fun with your new camera

photofan1986's gear list:photofan1986's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix F200EXR Sony RX100 III Panasonic Lumix DC-G9 Panasonic Lumix DC-GX9 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH +13 more
Ecoh Senior Member • Posts: 1,012

Love the cat picture. Really ! Nice expression and lighting. Everything looks great OOC.
What do you mean by "ghosting"?

Have fun !

Ecoh's gear list:Ecoh's gear list
Canon EOS-1D X Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM +1 more
jl_smith Veteran Member • Posts: 3,907
Re: OMGz0r new 60D C&C Welcomed

I see no ghosting in the flash photo

jl_smith's gear list:jl_smith's gear list
Sony a7R II Rokinon 14mm F2.8 IF ED MC Sony FE 24-105mm F4
Madman895 Forum Member • Posts: 73

I just got the 60D a couple months ago myself. You are gonna have a blast. Use your imagination and take pics of what matters to you. Take lots of pics and learn that camera. It is all about the light and using it to your advantage. I like the pics !

Madman895's gear list:Madman895's gear list
Canon EOS 60D Canon EF 50mm F1.8 II Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM Canon EF 70-200mm F4L IS USM +1 more

jl_smith wrote:

I see no ghosting in the flash photo

Under the elbow? Its not so bad in this one, but when I was learning how to nuke, I started seeing it worse like a whole other elbow was there. and im shooting at 250, so thats longer than the FL of 105.

Thanks for the replies. No one has any C&C?

Ecoh wrote:

Love the cat picture. Really ! Nice expression and lighting. Everything looks great OOC.
What do you mean by "ghosting"?

Have fun !

Yeah she wont leave the flash alone, just kept sniffing it. So I popped off a few and thats the end result of one of them, a dirty look.

sleibson Regular Member • Posts: 442

Looks more like a reflection from the shiny surface behind her than a ghost.

-- hide signature --

Steve Leibson

Shooting with Canons for 35+ years

sleibson's gear list:sleibson's gear list
Canon PowerShot G12 Canon EOS 20D Canon EOS 60D Canon EOS Rebel SL1 Canon EF 50mm F1.8 II +10 more
victorian squid
victorian squid Veteran Member • Posts: 3,391
Really?

I think you're going to need time with your camera and get some more serious shots for C&C! This looks like you're just snapping shots with your new toy.

But if you want a critique:

1) Like the colors - the lighting is even kind of nice. But IMO you need to get down at dog level and make the shot a little more interesting. I'm not keen on the overall composition and the way (she?) is cropped off on the left. There's also something distracting in the background (like a bone) and while blurry - with the tile background being so uniform sort of pops out.

I should talk - we have dogs and I get maybe, maybe 1 out of 20 decent shots of them since they WON'T HOLD STILL. Especially when I get down to their level - that means it's time to play!

2) Fun, although nothing particularly interesting for me. No punchline so to speak. To me the abstract shots really need something going for them as far as color and composition. Experiment!

3) Flash can be a bitch. It looks like too much from the top left - don't like the shadow being cast under her face or even on her arm from the sweater. Are you using off flash and your onboard as a fill? Needs some tweaking. For 3 and 4 letting the strobists here know your setup would be a great help.

4) Too harsh. Looks like a failed flash. Nose shadow is not flattering. This type of lighting can be a real bear, and is an artform all to itself. Needs a softbox - and perhaps a lit wall (snoot, barndoor or cookie or such) in background - any strobists here want to pipe up?

5) if you shoot something symmetrical - it had better be! Needs some cropping on the right to remove whatever that is going on over there. A little lens (perspective) correction would also be in order. Personally I think this is one that needs some creative cropping in general - otherwise it looks like a sign.

As far as the "ghost" goes - isn't her arm resting on a piece of glass? I'd call reflection on that one! If not, please show the ones that are worse!

Otherwise, go out and have great time with that setup - I'm jealous!

victorian squid's gear list:victorian squid's gear list
Canon EOS 6D Canon EOS 70D Canon EF 24-70mm F2.8L II USM Tamron SP 150-600mm F/5-6.3 Di VC USD Canon EF 16-35mm F4L IS USM +37 more
Re: Really?

victorian squid wrote:

I think you're going to need time with your camera and get some more serious shots for C&C! This looks like you're just snapping shots with your new toy.

Well yeah, im not getting paid and I was testing it out to make sure its functioning correctly. I, by no means, claim to be a pro. Far from it. I understand the basics and are just now getting into strobist type things. But if shots like "Mr. McNaughty and food pictures can get C&C, I think I did a little more Variety and flavor imho. TEHO you know?

But if you want a critique:

Yes thank you

1) Like the colors - the lighting is even kind of nice. But IMO you need to get down at dog level and make the shot a little more interesting. I'm not keen on the overall composition and the way (she?) is cropped off on the left. There's also something distracting in the background (like a bone) and while blurry - with the tile background being so uniform sort of pops out.

I should talk - we have dogs and I get maybe, maybe 1 out of 20 decent shots of them since they WON'T HOLD STILL. Especially when I get down to their level - that means it's time to play!

First thing about this picture, I found it so strange how that flash rejuvenated, for lack of a better word, my dog. Shes almost 2 and really doesnt look like it in that picture, still looks almost puppish. And the flash seemed to stun her. Yeah I see what you mean about the bone, I didnt notice it when i took the picture. I didnt crop, and I am down on my knees. The flash was 1/4 i think because I was just messing around and this came out nice. It was 3 feet from the dog bouncing off the wall.

2) Fun, although nothing particularly interesting for me. No punchline so to speak. To me the abstract shots really need something going for them as far as color and composition. Experiment!

Yeah, another picture I know nothing special, but i had fun with driving ona smooth road and simulating speed imo. like hyperspeed

3) Flash can be a bitch. It looks like too much from the top left - don't like the shadow being cast under her face or even on her arm from the sweater. Are you using off flash and your onboard as a fill? Needs some tweaking. For 3 and 4 letting the strobists here know your setup would be a great help.

No flash, Lighting is the malls lights. I didnt think to look and see how in between she was to each light. Thanks for teaching me to look. No, I didnt (and dont) want use fill flash from the on board. This is just what the settings are.

Its ISO 3200. and she liked the picture so it puts a smile on my face.

4) Too harsh. Looks like a failed flash. Nose shadow is not flattering. This type of lighting can be a real bear, and is an artform all to itself. Needs a softbox - and perhaps a lit wall (snoot, barndoor or cookie or such) in background - any strobists here want to pipe up?

It didnt fail, and as you can see, impatience is a universal facial expression ;). I see the shadow on the face, and I will be correcting it when I install the canon software on my system. Remember everything is SOOC.

5) if you shoot something symmetrical - it had better be! Needs some cropping on the right to remove whatever that is going on over there. A little lens (perspective) correction would also be in order. Personally I think this is one that needs some creative cropping in general - otherwise it looks like a sign.

I just liked the way the red looked on here. Figured it was a "first shots" thread, so why not. Im not too great with cropping, let alone "creative" cropping.

As far as the "ghost" goes - isn't her arm resting on a piece of glass? I'd call reflection on that one! If not, please show the ones that are worse!

Otherwise, go out and have great time with that setup - I'm jealous!

Under the Elbow.

Thanks for responding.

I look forward to learning more now that I have something to outlet on, and when its not raining for no reason here, I will get more shots. I tried some of a squirrel but my tripod for the film Canon I have isnt steady enough. I think Im bordering its weight limit?

The other thing I have a hard time with too is focusing. How exactly do i KNOW its tack sharp when having it hand held?

victorian squid

Vincent Lindsay wrote:

The other thing I have a hard time with too is focusing. How exactly do i KNOW its tack sharp when having it hand held?

Ha!

You don't. If you did, then other people would and this would be a pretty dull forum (or at least a bitch-free one). That's where the practice comes in. Once you know your camera you'll know when it's telling you the truth (most of the time).

As you start to play with DOF and such you'll see how much more critical it is. Lemme see, you got the 24-105 right? Hand held should be not much of an issue with IS turned on. I don't recall your shots looking OOF, at least the ones you posted.

Today I was shooting some fruit trees that were starting to bloom, and daffodils. It was really windy. I was using a zoom at around 200-300 and playing with DOF and focus (trying to get focus on branches behind other ones). Chances of getting a good shot were slim - but I did get some. Moral: practice! That's the beauty of digital.

Anyway, you seem to have a handle on what you're doing. Your shots are going to be so much better in just a few weeks I'm probably wasting my time. As far as creative cropping - I've included 2 examples of the sign, one with almost no modification, the other to break up the symmetry. IMO, symmetry works if there's a special reason for it, if not zoom in and find some interest. Like the tiles on the wall or a few letters.

You can see how the extraneous stuff in the main image is gone, less clutter. Second one is off center, making your eyes move to (hopefully) the desired location.

I'd recommend finding some books on composition. I went to art college and have spent 30+ years as an art/creative director so this is sort of natural(ish) for me. Of course I hired good photographers - I just like to shoot! I too have a lot to learn.

Canon EOS 6D Canon EOS 70D Canon EF 24-70mm F2.8L II USM Tamron SP 150-600mm F/5-6.3 Di VC USD Canon EF 16-35mm F4L IS USM +37 more
Birdman50 Contributing Member • Posts: 865

Those photos are quite good for your first shots with the 60D! Love the dog photo

The more you practice with it, and the lenses you bought, the more you'll love it! Excellent choice of equipment, Vince and big congrats!

Any BF/FF issued with the lenses you bought?

Sincerely,

BobbyK

-- hide signature --

To God be all the Glory!

Birdman50's gear list:Birdman50's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Nikon D7200 Nikon D500 Canon EOS 80D Sony a6400 +10 more

Are these more interesting for you

two people that were PDAing under the same sign. see the difference?

And more just playing with the flash and perspective last night

Just know exactly what and where is supposed to be sharp, then ill be happy. Ill jhust have ot keep experimenting.

akin_t Veteran Member • Posts: 3,322

Hah looks like you finally made the jump!

Your first pictures are way better than mine, I didn't even get into strobing till late last year. But yeah, looks like you're enjoying your new camera, just keep shooting and have fun, that's all it's about man.

akin_t's gear list:akin_t's gear list
Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm X-E3 Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS +4 more

Thanks. Yeah, I just dont like the way onboard flash is. So I got one. now to get 2 or 3 more so I have a complete set.

akin_t wrote:

Hah looks like you finally made the jump!

Your first pictures are way better than mine, I didn't even get into strobing till late last year. But yeah, looks like you're enjoying your new camera, just keep shooting and have fun, that's all it's about man.

victorian squid
Sharp!

You're well on your way.

If you look at the toy helicopter you can see the focus plain as the DOF is so high. Getting it to be where you want is the trick now. For faces you probably don't want the DOF to be so high, so that their eyes are in focus but their noses are blurry!

With your 24-105 however that should be no issue as you can get far back enough for some nice portraits.

Let us know how the 24 end is working inside! is it wide enough or will you be getting (as I did) a wide angle like the 10-22?

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads