Barrelling! How to avoid it??

Started Feb 4, 2011 | Discussions
accony Forum Member • Posts: 95
Barrelling! How to avoid it??

I've been asked to take a few shots for a friend of some mosaic tiles, but my attempts so far have all provided a nice range of barrelling. Any ideas on avoiding this at source and not through PS? It's the head on shots that are the problem.

Using a D90 + 16-50 2.8 Tokina. My only other lens is a Sigma 70-200 would this be better
--
Colin

Hear2see Veteran Member • Posts: 9,190
Re: Barrelling! How to avoid it??

if you use your Tokina at about 35mm you will be OK.

Art Jacks Senior Member • Posts: 2,867

If you used a longer focal length and shot from further away your problem would be solved but it may also allow you to make some adjustments to your lighting to get rid of the reflections.
--

A selection of my images can be found at http://www.photo-genesis.net follow the galleries link then select the Jacks gallery

OP accony Forum Member • Posts: 95

Thanks for the quick replies, I'll give it a try.
The lighting was just experimental so that will probably be the next question!!
--
Colin

ClaySTurner Regular Member • Posts: 161

To add to what others have said, zoom lenses often have barrel distortion at their wide end and pincushion distortion at their long end. I don't know about your particular lens, but try it at several different focal lengths and you may find one focal length where the distortion is minimal. Of course you can try other lenses if you have some.

Clay

nkarasev Senior Member • Posts: 1,499

accony wrote:

I've been asked to take a few shots for a friend of some mosaic tiles, but my attempts so far have all provided a nice range of barrelling. Any ideas on avoiding this at source and not through PS? It's the head on shots that are the problem.

Using a D90 + 16-50 2.8 Tokina. My only other lens is a Sigma 70-200 would this be better
--
Colin

To add to what was said already - you also need to position your camera carefully and to level it with precision so that the picture is straight (if not barrel, there will be perspective distortion which you also do not want to correct in post)
I assume you have used a tripod. If not - do you need reasoning for that?

viking79
viking79 Forum Pro • Posts: 14,148

nkarasev wrote:

To add to what was said already - you also need to position your camera carefully and to level it with precision so that the picture is straight (if not barrel, there will be perspective distortion which you also do not want to correct in post)

Agreed, perspective distortion will look like "keystone" if you have ever used a projector. If the projector isn't perfectly aligned with the wall the image will be narrower along one edge and it will look like a trapezoid (newer projectors correct for this automatically).

Eric

-- hide signature --

I never saw an ugly thing in my life: for let the form of an object
be what it may - light, shade, and perspective will always make it
beautiful. - John Constable (quote)

See my Blog at: http://viking79.blogspot.com/ (Weekly)
Flickr Photostream: http://www.flickr.com/photos/28177041@N03/ (updated daily)
See my PPG Shots: http://www.pentaxphotogallery.com/erictastad (8/31/09)

viking79's gear list:viking79's gear list
Sony Alpha a7R Samsung NX1 Samsung NX 30mm F2 Pancake Samsung NX 85mm F1.4 ED SSA Samsung NX 60mm F2.8 Macro ED OIS SSA +5 more
NNL33543 Forum Member • Posts: 80
-- hide signature --

You can correct this in photoshop or many other programs.

Tony
NNL33543

GreatWhiteNorthEh
GreatWhiteNorthEh Forum Member • Posts: 63

DXO Optics has support for the D90/sigma 70-200 combo

-- hide signature --

• A guy, a camera, and an itchy trigger finger

GreatWhiteNorthEh's gear list:GreatWhiteNorthEh's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM Tamron AF 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di LD Macro
sportyaccordy Forum Pro • Posts: 11,863

Only use Nikkor lenses

sportyaccordy's gear list:sportyaccordy's gear list
NEX-5T Sony Alpha a7R II Canon EF 24-85mm f/3.5-4.5 USM Sigma 70-200mm F2.8 EX DG Macro HSM II Samyang 14mm F2.8 IF ED MC Aspherical +3 more
ianz28 Veteran Member • Posts: 5,382

sportyaccordy wrote:

Only use Nikkor lenses

that solves nothing in regards to barrel or pincushion distortion. In fact some Nikon lenses exhibit the more complex mustache distortion which is even more difficult to correct in post processing.

To the OP. Distortion can often be exacerbated further when close focussing due to field curvature.

My suggestion would be to use the 70-200 around the 110-130mm range. If that lens exhibits any field curvature try shooting from a slightly greater distance. You can always crop the image slightly if you are needing to fill the frame.

The other option would be to borrow or rent a macro lens. Most macro lenses have a flat field of view and little to no distortion as this type of work is what they are designed for.

Ian

ianz28's gear list:ianz28's gear list
Nikon D200 Nikon D5000 Nikon D7200 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G Nikon AF Nikkor 85mm f/1.8D +10 more
bgD300 Veteran Member • Posts: 4,552

The sample picture already shows keystoning. Being plumb and centered on the subject is important. A tripod is very useful here.
--
My photo blog: http://birdsnbugs.wordpress.com
My camera club porfolio: http://www.pacameraclub.com/bgrant.htm
RF Stock Portfolio - http://www.dreamstime.com/resp129611
EXIF is embedded in photos WSSA #51 as bg5700

bgD300's gear list:bgD300's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P7100 Nikon D90 Nikon D300 Nikon 1 V1 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR +16 more
OP accony Forum Member • Posts: 95

Once again thanks to all for taking the time to answer my question.

The sample picture was hand held and not constructed with a huge amount of thought or accuracy.

I'll make sure a tripod is used next time with some precise measurements and also try some of the settings suggested.

As for Nikon lens, there's always one isn't there!! Like many others I have what I can afford, if you are in a position to buy better[?] lenses good luck to you. The D90 is my first DSLR and replaces my Praktica MTL3.

Hopefully I might get some recompense for this little job and then perhaps a Nikkor of some sort might come my way?
Thanks again.
--
Colin

raymondox Veteran Member • Posts: 3,680

I use ptlens
--
Bluenose

Ilkka Nissilä Veteran Member • Posts: 4,107

A 50/1.8 is a lens with very low distortion and it's cheap. If there is space to use it then that would be a good choice.

fraserj1 Senior Member • Posts: 2,565

accony wrote:

The simple solution, as others have stated is to use a lens that shows low distortion characteristics.

You can find distortion samples and information at http://www.photozone.de for many Nikon and non-Nikon lenses. Find your lenses in the list on this site, and maybe you will be able to find the best lens to use in your kit for what you need to do, or at least figure out what the best focal length would be for your zooms.

I would suggest that primes in the 50 to 105mm range would be good lenses to use if you have the room. The 60mm micro would be ideal.

Also, you might consider lighting the tiles properly so that you don't get light reflections directly into the lens, and maybe use a polarizer.

-- hide signature --
sportyaccordy Forum Pro • Posts: 11,863

ianz28 wrote:

sportyaccordy wrote:

Only use Nikkor lenses

that solves nothing in regards to barrel or pincushion distortion. In fact some Nikon lenses exhibit the more complex mustache distortion which is even more difficult to correct in post processing.

To the OP. Distortion can often be exacerbated further when close focussing due to field curvature.

My suggestion would be to use the 70-200 around the 110-130mm range. If that lens exhibits any field curvature try shooting from a slightly greater distance. You can always crop the image slightly if you are needing to fill the frame.

The other option would be to borrow or rent a macro lens. Most macro lenses have a flat field of view and little to no distortion as this type of work is what they are designed for.

Ian

Sarcasm my friend, it eludes you.

sportyaccordy's gear list:sportyaccordy's gear list
NEX-5T Sony Alpha a7R II Canon EF 24-85mm f/3.5-4.5 USM Sigma 70-200mm F2.8 EX DG Macro HSM II Samyang 14mm F2.8 IF ED MC Aspherical +3 more
ianz28 Veteran Member • Posts: 5,382

sportyaccordy wrote:

Sarcasm my friend, it eludes you.

Sarcasm requires wit which you obviously don't possess. Next time try humor...it might be more suitable for you.

ianz28's gear list:ianz28's gear list
Nikon D200 Nikon D5000 Nikon D7200 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G Nikon AF Nikkor 85mm f/1.8D +10 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads