Using the VCL-ECU1 Ultra Wide Converter with filters

Started Feb 2, 2011 | Discussions
1aTa New Member • Posts: 12
Using the VCL-ECU1 Ultra Wide Converter with filters

I was looking to order the VCL-ECU1 to take travelling for mainly landscape shots but it just dawned on me that I can't see of any way to attach ND filters on the front for long exposures.

Is the hood removable or could I install a filter in between the adapter and the 16mm lens? If not is there some other way to attach filters as I'm quite new to this?

Cheers in advance.

headofdestiny Veteran Member • Posts: 9,226
Re: Using the VCL-ECU1 Ultra Wide Converter with filters
PhillipA Veteran Member • Posts: 5,505
I don't think ...

.. that the Lee filter (or the similar Cokin) system will work on the Wide angle converter either as they require an adapter to be fitted to the lens first, and once again there is no filter thread to mount it to.

Unless you mean holding the 100mm square Lee filters in front of the lens by hand?

..... thinks ... Blu-Tac ??
--

Judge: ' This image may be better in black and white - perhaps even just black! '

OP 1aTa New Member • Posts: 12
Re: I don't think ...

Yeah I still haven't bought any filters yet as I was waiting until I had all my lenses sorted so that I could decide exactly what I needed. I've looked at both the Lee and Cokin systems.

If the lens hood on the wide angle adapter is not removable (and it doesn't look like it is) I doubt you could even hold or "blue-tac" a filter to the front due to the light leakage in the gaps of the hood. You would have to fill those too and I would assume that would cause vignetting.

headofdestiny Veteran Member • Posts: 9,226
Re: I don't think ...

PhillipA wrote:

.. that the Lee filter (or the similar Cokin) system will work on the Wide angle converter either as they require an adapter to be fitted to the lens first, and once again there is no filter thread to mount it to.

Unless you mean holding the 100mm square Lee filters in front of the lens by hand?

..... thinks ... Blu-Tac ??
--

Judge: ' This image may be better in black and white - perhaps even just black! '

Lee offers a push on filter holder that attaches to the outside of the lens barrel. That is what many use for the Nikon 14-24mm. Granted, I'm not sure how in the way the built-in hood of the wide angle converter would be.

http://www.leefiltersusa.com/camera/products/show/ref:C4761061684662/

Cokin has this bizarre, tripod lug option:

http://www.cokin.fr/ico15-B.html

Solution Found !!

.. well kind of

While looking at the wide adapter and a selection of Cokin filter bits, it occured to me that the right sized filter adapter might be able to be made fit on the built in hood of the Sony wide adapter.

I had a 67mm filter adapter ring, which turned out to be a good push fit on the adapter lens ( from the back). The filter holder could then be fitted and the foremost filter position allows the filter to clear the top and bottom of the lens hood (just). BTW Cokin 100mm filter and holder copies are available here:

http://www.linkdelight.com/Photography/Lens-Accessories/Filters-Accessories/View-all-products.html

I haven't tried the actual filters, but the holders and adapters look exactly the same as the Cokin ones. They should also hold Lee filters and are much cheaper than either of the name bramds.
Here's a few shots of my "brain-storm" :

... 67mm filter adapter pushed on from the rear (it can come loose, but can't fall off):

.... filter holder mounted ( actually you have to fit this to the adapter before fitting the adapter to the lens):

... filter inserted in holder:

.... clearance between filter and "lens hood" :

... quick image without filter ...

... and with the ND Grad filter:

-- hide signature --

OP 1aTa New Member • Posts: 12
Re: Solution Found !!

Wow thanks for all the suggestions chaps.

The Lee filter looks good but it's rather expensive. The Cokin hack could work but it only leaves space for one filter in the holder. I normally need at least two - one solid and one one grad. I've been trying to find a four filter holder which would at least give two usable slots but I can't find any. How secure is it by the way?

novak977 Senior Member • Posts: 1,400

Thanks for the fantastic contribution!
let's recap - I will get 67mm holder and adapter + 10 filters plus box.
But where do I indicate which ones I want?

PhillipA wrote:

.. well kind of

While looking at the wide adapter and a selection of Cokin filter bits, it occured to me that the right sized filter adapter might be able to be made fit on the built in hood of the Sony wide adapter.

-- hide signature --

http://www.supernovak.com
http://www.flickr.com/photos/rogic

FED-S (my father's) > Canon AE1 (my brother's) > Minolta Maxxum 3xi (my first precious) > Minolta Dynax 400si (hello Canada) > Minolta Dimage 7i (darling) > Konica Minolta 5D (first DSLR) > Sony Alpha A100 (killer baby) > Sony Alpha A700 (serious tool) > Canon 5DMkII (weird computer with average lenses) > Back to A700 (reassured about the greatness) + A900 (depth of colours and pixels)

novak977's gear list:novak977's gear list
Sony a6000 Sony RX1 Sony Alpha NEX-3N Sony Alpha a7 II Sony E 30mm F3.5 Macro +10 more

1aTa wrote:

Wow thanks for all the suggestions chaps.

The Lee filter looks good but it's rather expensive. The Cokin hack could work but it only leaves space for one filter in the holder. I normally need at least two - one solid and one one grad. I've been trying to find a four filter holder which would at least give two usable slots but I can't find any. How secure is it by the way?

If you try a 72mm adapter instead of 67mm, it should allow the filter holder to move further forward and will probably enable you to mount 2 filters in the holder.

I don't have a 72mm adapter to try, but they are cheap enough from "linkdelight" to experiment at very little cost.

-- hide signature --

npires
npires Senior Member • Posts: 1,731

I've got the same setup as PhillipA now (thanks btw) 67mm fits perfectly. I'm not entirely sure 72mm would work to be honest I think it'd be too loose. The better option is trying to find a holder that takes 4 slots (from what I understand it's one of the X-PRO Cokins) but they cost quite a bit. Very secure and easily removed. Thanks for the advice with this one! Very happy that it's all fitted together.

npires's gear list:npires's gear list
Sony RX100 III Sony Alpha NEX-5 Sony Alpha a7 II Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Sony FE 70-200 F4 +3 more
Hurl New Member • Posts: 10

Can you use a circular filter between the 16mm lenses and the ultrawide adapter?

anaksatawo Contributing Member • Posts: 657
filter holder + 67mm ring adapter..

nope, because the vcl-ecu1 is bayonet mount. you might want to check on the p-holder + 67mm ring adapter, its quite a snug fit. i was able to use just one square filter though.

i'll try to upload a picture of the setup.

anaksatawo Contributing Member • Posts: 657
the solution of PhilipA

i think this is already solved:

Rooru S Contributing Member • Posts: 923

Amazing..! Great Idea..!! Thanks for sharing..!

PhillipA wrote:

Here's a few shots of my "brain-storm" :
... filter inserted in holder:

-- hide signature --

Proud Sony NEX 5 user

Rooru S's gear list:Rooru S's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-W170 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-QX10 Sony Alpha DSLR-A850 Sony Alpha NEX-5 Sony Alpha a7 II +12 more
firepotter New Member • Posts: 1

Hello,

I am new here, found your post via google search and it is very helpful!

Couple questions. 1. Is filter holder Cokin P Series using 85mm filter?

2. Do you have any issue with vignetting? with the VCL-ECU1 Ultrawide. Have you tried with VCL-ECF1 Fish eye?

thanks much,

Gary

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads