Rubinar 500mm f5.6 mirror

Started Jan 29, 2011 | Discussions
dholl
dholl Veteran Member • Posts: 3,239
Rubinar 500mm f5.6 mirror

I've found no threads on this lens. Not surprising as it's almost impossible to use on a Pen (tho' the IS comes in handy).

You need a host camera with a viewfinder, without it you need three hands (the lens is H U G E ).

I took it out for the first time this morning, here's a coupla jpgs (E-P1, ISO 200/250, both 1/200...light pp):

I would say the prerequisites for using this lens on M43 are:

• viewfinder

• in-body IS

• RAW

• lots of sunshine

The Panas don't have IS, and the Olys don't have viewfinders. Does the EP-2 have an external viewfinder not limited to any focal length? --- EDIT: just read about the VF-2...sounds like it's on a par with the GH1 viewfinder ---

Anyone else use the Rubinar monsters? If you have a large mirror lens with cyrillic markings on it then it's probably a Rubinar.

-- hide signature --

dholl

tjuster1 Senior Member • Posts: 2,207
Re: Rubinar 500mm f5.6 mirror

No experience with the Rubinars. But I like the first picture, a lot. And it's a good example of how those 'donuts' can be used for an artistic effect, IMO. I don't think the picture would be as interesting without them.

tjuster1's gear list:tjuster1's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM5 Olympus E-M5 III Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm F4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH +6 more
dholl
OP dholl Veteran Member • Posts: 3,239

Thanks tjuster1,

the Rubinar's output is not very contrast-heavy, so in pp I left the background pretty much as it is but using curves added contrast to the in-focus guy in the foreground.

Most of these are mirror lenses I took using Oly & Canon DSLR's:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/44098897@N05/sets/72157622595517215/

It is possible to get nice clean bokeh with mirror lenses (this one is a Tamron 55BB 500mm f8 and is pretty much how the jpg looked out-of-cam, but with less contrast):

-- hide signature --

dholl

LincolnB Veteran Member • Posts: 4,390

I guess 'monsterous' is in the eye of the beholder.

I've considered getting a mirror lens just to have something smaller in that focal length.

LincolnB's gear list:LincolnB's gear list
Olympus PEN E-P1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G3 Fujifilm X-E1 Sony a7 II Sony a7 III +8 more
dholl
OP dholl Veteran Member • Posts: 3,239

The Rubinar is fatter than the Tokina 400mm and just as heavy (I can compare it to my Vivitar 400mm f5.6 for FD...same build as your Tokina).

My Rubinar is fatter due to its f5.6. If you get a mirror 500mm with f8, it will be thinner and lighter and thus much easier to transport and use with a M43 body.

-- hide signature --

dholl

Hitherto Contributing Member • Posts: 812

The thing that goes with the Rubinar is that its exceedingly sharp if you get a good copy and its not actually all that big, its just fat and heavy, the lens weighs 1.6kg so its not a lens you hand held. Best employ a bean bag or a very sturdy tripod. The biggest problem that most people have is that it doesn't have forgiving depth of field control. An F/5.6 lens at 1000mm is actually quite shallow.

They're all "MTO" lenses so come out of the same Soviet era factories, it's hard to find much information about them other than they were military grade lenses. At one point in time they produced Zenit, Zorki, Industar Jupiter and other Zeiss optical clones. Although this lens is produced much later in the picture and not from that lineage.

What little about what they do is on their Russian website here:

http://lzos.ru/en/index.php

The present day company makes tank periscopes, as well as many other Russian military hardware projects. The predecessor company to LZOS is the Russian KMZ (Krasnogorski Mekhanicheskii Zavod) That began manufacturing lenses based on the Carl Zeiss Jenna lens specifications in 1945.

The biggest advantage in the Rubinar is that its an F/5.6 vs. the similar optical quality Yashica, Olympus, etc, which are all F/8 lenses. F/5.6 means you can use it at 1/1000 and still have enough light during most of the day to shoot.

Hitherto's gear list:Hitherto's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm F4.0-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 II R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12mm 1:2 +2 more
Michael M Fliegel
Michael M Fliegel Veteran Member • Posts: 3,682

That's a beast! Tried any moon shots?

Michael M Fliegel's gear list:Michael M Fliegel's gear list
Olympus E-520 Olympus PEN E-PL2 Olympus E-M1 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50mm 1:2.0 Macro Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 +13 more
gibikote New Member • Posts: 6

Hi all,

I just acquired one... and yes, it is huge and heavy compared to the Tamron 500/f8 mirror I have

What monopod or tripod should I be using this with?   Thanks

-- hide signature --

Gibi

gibikote's gear list:gibikote's gear list
Pentax K-3 Pentax smc DA 16-45mm F4 ED AL Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM +5 more
hindesite Veteran Member • Posts: 4,892

dholl wrote:

I've found no threads on this lens. Not surprising as it's almost impossible to use on a Pen (tho' the IS comes in handy).

You need a host camera with a viewfinder, without it you need three hands (the lens is H U G E ).

I took it out for the first time this morning, here's a coupla jpgs (E-P1, ISO 200/250, both 1/200...light pp):

I would say the prerequisites for using this lens on M43 are:

For some reason, your list doesn't appear here, nor can it be pasted.

I don't think your requisites are necessary, and most are rendered unnecessary if you use a tripod or other support - which you should be doing.

I've got 3 mirror lenses, all 500mm f8.0 (Canon, Tamron and the MC 3M-5CA) and I've used them on an old E-P1 which works fine as long as you can set up and take time to adjust focus using magnified view; of course Panasonic makes this far easier, and the viewfinder and focus peaking is nice.

I rarely shoot, and even less often, actually use RAW, and the types of adjustments I make are mainly to contrast, vignetting (which can be bad in mirror lenses) and sharpness. I often tend to a more over processed look, partly because of the subject matter, but also to work around the deficiencies of these lenses - or even to use the same deficiencies to advantage.

IS is effectively irrelevant; pretty ineffective at that length, and handholding and focusing correctly is almost impossible anyway.

Certainly agree about the light, you need lots of it, forget shooting in low contrast situations - but bright highlights can be a real distraction, too.

The Soviet lens is considerably better than the Canon, a short post here:

https://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/3048053

The Tamron is slightly better than the 3M-5CA. I was able to find a Canon tripod mount that fitted the 3M-5CA, which makes it useful. You do not want to use the camera body to support this lens!

https://plus.google.com/+rjhinde/posts/c3PvA37idDz for an example from this lens.

The Panas don't have IS, and the Olys don't have viewfinders. Does the EP-2 have an external viewfinder not limited to any focal length? --- EDIT: just read about the VF-2...sounds like it's on a par with the GH1 viewfinder ---

Anyone else use the Rubinar monsters? If you have a large mirror lens with cyrillic markings on it then it's probably a Rubinar.

-- hide signature --
Kurt Ingham New Member • Posts: 5

Gitzo Tele Studex Giant

Kurt Ingham's gear list:Kurt Ingham's gear list
Olympus E-100 RS Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Pro
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads