Metz 58 AF-2 Digital problem in "Servo" mode

Started Jan 28, 2011 | Discussions
Garth Wood Contributing Member • Posts: 905
Metz 58 AF-2 Digital problem in "Servo" mode

Hoping I can get some insight from the assembled Wise Ones.

I just purchased a new Metz 58 AF-2 Digital flash. One of its operating modes is "Servo," in which (apparently) the flash is supposed to function as a simple, manually-set optical slave. Try as I might, I can't seem to get this mode to operate at all. The menus all work, the settings are supposedly being taken by the flash, but there's no firing when I trigger another flash in the room, even when I point that other flash directly at the front of the Metz.

What am I missing here? Or is there some meaning of "Servo" that's nuanced enough that I'm misunderstanding both the printed manual (which I've read through extensively) and various online discussions of this flash? I can certainly attach an optical slave trigger to its foot, but c'mon! -- if the capability's actually built-in, that seems kinda backwards.

Anyone have any ideas?
--
Garth

"Data! Data! Data! I cannot make bricks out of straw!" -- Sherlock Holmes, "The Adventure of the Copper Beeches"

Stephen M. Alberts Senior Member • Posts: 1,509
Re: Metz 58 AF-2 Digital problem in "Servo" mode

Hi Garth,

I purchased the Metz AF-2 a couple of weeks ago and your post peaked an interest.

I used the AF-1 in master mode to trigger two lights on a stick at receptions. I love the user interface and the capability to control the output of slave A, B and while still in ETTL mode. Canon's system will only do this in manual mode. However around 2000 shots old the main flash head blew and I was not a happy camper. First flash I have ever had in 45 years that blew the coupe.

In answer to your question,,you are correct. Putting the flash in "Servo" mode should turn the flash into a slave which can be triggered by another flash. Mine does not flash in servo mode either. If you mount the flash on the camera and switch to servo mode, the flash will automatically switch back to ETTL mode when you depress the shutter button to focus. In short "Servo" does not work. I am going to drop Metz an email and see what they say.

Contacted Metz, will let you know what their response is in regards to Servo Mode.
--
Have a good one.
Stephen

OP Garth Wood Contributing Member • Posts: 905

Interesting. I wonder if a firmware update's all they need to fix it.

Thanks for the reply. And for your e-mailing Metz (that was my next stop, but I wanted to see if I was off-base in my understanding of "Servo" mode first.)

Sorry to hear about your actual flash tube dying. Were you doing too many in rapid succession? (I would've thought Metz had engineered "overheat protection" into their flagship product.) Now I know I have to fill out the warranty card...
--
Garth

"Data! Data! Data! I cannot make bricks out of straw!" -- Sherlock Holmes, "The Adventure of the Copper Beeches"

Was photographing a Christmas get together and the flash was at room temperature and blew on the third shot. Made a loud pop like someone had clapped their hands. At first I could not figure out what happened to the flash. Then the burnt electrical smell hit me and I know what happened. I will be sending it in for a quote to fix it but would suspect the flash is just about totaled. Bought it before the big price jump.
--
Have a good one.
Stephen

Metz Response:

Here is the response from Metz:

"Basically the flash unit mecablitz 58 AF-2 digital can be triggered at the servo mode by the built-in flash unit of the camera. However, only the flash units mecablitz 58 AF-2 digital for Canon, Nikon and Olympus/Panasonic are equipped with this servo mode at the moment. But please note that the version for Canon is equipped with a servo mode with preflash suppression. The flash unit at the camera has to be used at E-TTL-flash-mode in this case.

The version for Nikon and Olympus/Panasonic are equipped with a servo mode without preflash suppression. These flash units are triggered by every light pulse of a flash unit."

Ok,,,here is the mystery of the week. Last night I set the Metz to " Servo " mode and the 580 EXll to ETTL & manual mode and fired the 580 several time from various angles and distances and the Metz would not fire. Set the camera to program, AV, Shutter and Manual modes and still nothing from the metz.

Got the response from Metz this morning and noticed it said " built in flash unit of the camera". Set the Metz to servo, popped up the built in flash on the 40D and the Metz fired. Took several shots from different distances and the metz fired every time. Put the 580 EXll back on the 40D and the Metz continued to fire even when I was clear on the other side of the house. Works with the 580 EXll on the mounted on the 5D MKll as well. Turned everything off and back on and still works great. By the way, the pre-flash suppression does work.
Is there such a thing as a smart chip that has to learn the camera model?

-- hide signature --

Have a good one.
Stephen

OP Garth Wood Contributing Member • Posts: 905
Re: Metz Response:

Well, that's just dumb .

Why would Metz make an "optical slave" mode that's somehow tethered to the type of on-camera flash/body combination you're using?

Well, thanks for your assistance and effort. I guess I'll just use it as an E-TTL on-body flash, or use a wireless trrigger module on its foot to trigger it off-camera (that roundabout method of triggering it has one advantage -- in full manual mode, the 58AF-2 can actually be adjusted by 1/3 EV, whereas in "Servo" mode it can only be adjusted by 1 EV, at least if the flash's LCD screen and my own lyin' eyes are to be trusted).

Hmmmmmm.
--
Garth

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads