Pentax Germany officially aknowledges frontfocus problem

Started Jan 28, 2011 | Discussions
stern Senior Member • Posts: 1,735
Pentax Germany officially aknowledges frontfocus problem

I querried Pentax Germany about what they will do about the frontfocus problem of my K-r that continues even after sensor-adjustment done at their service center. After urging for an answer, I finally received one stating that Pentax is completely aware of the FF problem and is frantically ("mit Hochdruck") working on a software-fix. Here is the mail (anonymised) from Pentax Germany:
Sehr geehrter Herr .....,

vielen Dank für Ihre Anfrage.

Das von Ihnen beschriebene Fokusproblem ist uns bekannt. Wir arbeiten derzeit mit Hochdruck an einer softwareseitigen Lösung des Problems. Sobald ein Update für dieses Problem verfügbar ist, werden wir es über unsere Homepage veröffentlichen. Wir bitten Sie daher um etwas Geduld.

Wir hoffen Ihnen mit unserer Antwort behilflich gewesen zu sein.

Bitte zögern Sie nicht, uns bei Rückfragen erneut zu kontaktieren.

Mit freundlichen Grüßen,
M.....

Pentax Camera Support Team
--
http://sternbild.zenfolio.com (gallery)

stern's gear list:stern's gear list
Pentax MX-1 Pentax K-3 HD Pentax DA 15mm F4 ED AL Limited HD Pentax-DA 20-40mm F2.8-4 ED Limited DC WR +1 more
Russell Evans Forum Pro • Posts: 12,617
Re: Pentax Germany officially aknowledges frontfocus problem

That's nice to see. I hope Pentax continues in this vein.

Thank you
Russell

-- hide signature --
Barry Fitzgerald Forum Pro • Posts: 29,888

Another victory for late camera adopters! I'm staying that way too works for me

janneman02 Forum Pro • Posts: 15,733
Quite the opposite....

Barry Fitzgerald wrote:

Another victory for late camera adopters!

If all people were late adopters, this problem would never have surfaced...

It would pnly be fair if new cameras would be sold for cheap in the first month or two and let the late adopters pay the full price (and a bit more to finance the early adopters)
--

The difference between genius and LBA is that genius has its
limits.

• Janneman ( adaptation of the Kings quote from Albert Einstein)

Barry Fitzgerald Forum Pro • Posts: 29,888
Re: Quite the opposite....

janneman02 wrote:

It would pnly be fair if new cameras would be sold for cheap in the first month or two and let the late adopters pay the full price (and a bit more to finance the early adopters)
--

Not sure I get your point here. I have never bought a camera when it has arrived on the market without waiting for 2 reasons..1: Any problems can be found out or addressed or at least you might be aware of them 2: Reduced price (sometimes significantly)

Nothing wrong with that I'll always be the same no rush where I am plenty of cameras anyway! You folks can send your ones in for repair and I'll buy the models when they get sorted out

glanglois Contributing Member • Posts: 987
Translation, please?

I'm afraid I'm another monolingual American.

Would someone help?

glanglois's gear list:glanglois's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ300
areidjr
areidjr Senior Member • Posts: 2,495
Re: Translation, please?

I think this is fairly accurate:

"Sir ..... , thank you for your request. The focus problem you have described is known to us. We are working hard on a firmware solution the problem. Once we have an Update to this problem, it will be available on our Homepage. Thus we ask you to be patient. We hope our answer was help to you. Please do not hesitate to contact us for further questions again. Yours sincerely,"

-- hide signature --

Al

My Photo Gallery: http://photoweb.reid-home.com (Updated 9/8/2008)
Pentax Photo Gallery: http://www.pentaxphotogallery.com/albertreid
My Blog: http://areidjr.blogspot.com/

WSSA Member #199PX

OP stern Senior Member • Posts: 1,735
Re: Translation, please? voilà!

Dear Mister....,

Thank you for your enquiry.

The focus problem you have described is known to us. We are currently working "under high pressure" (unter Hochdruck) to solve this problem with a software fix. As soon as the fix for this problem/update for this problem is available we will publish it on our homepage. Thus, we kindly ask for some patience.

We hope that our answer is helpful to you.

Please, don't hesitate to contact us again if you have any further questions.

Kind regards,
M.....

Pentax Camera Support Team
--
http://sternbild.zenfolio.com (gallery)

stern's gear list:stern's gear list
Pentax MX-1 Pentax K-3 HD Pentax DA 15mm F4 ED AL Limited HD Pentax-DA 20-40mm F2.8-4 ED Limited DC WR +1 more
glanglois Contributing Member • Posts: 987
Thanks, team!

This is (almost always) a great bunch. Two responses in 10 minutes is amazing.

And the news is direct and a relief.

Thanks to all.

glanglois's gear list:glanglois's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ300
Gary Martin
Gary Martin Veteran Member • Posts: 4,708

Barry Fitzgerald wrote:

Another victory for late camera adopters! I'm staying that way too works for me

Ah, and where would you be without us beta testers

Gary Martin's gear list:Gary Martin's gear list
Ricoh GR III Olympus PEN-F Pentax K-1 Pentax KP Fujifilm X-T4 +16 more
il_alexk Senior Member • Posts: 2,726
Have they lost their mind?

There is a lot of respectable forum users claiming that there is absolutely no problem with the auto-focus either of K-5 and K-r. Fixing non-existing problem doesn't make sense to me...

Sorry, I couldn't keep it

-- hide signature --

Cheers,
Alex

il_alexk's gear list:il_alexk's gear list
Pentax K-5 IIs Sony a7R III Fujifilm X-A5 Fujifilm X-T100 Pentax smc FA 50mm F1.4 +8 more
Randy R. Regular Member • Posts: 174
Re: Have they lost their mind?

il_alexk wrote:

There is a lot of respectable forum users claiming that there is absolutely no problem with the auto-focus either of K-5 and K-r. Fixing non-existing problem doesn't make sense to me...

Sorry, I couldn't keep it

Same here. I just got a K-r. But before I did I posted here, and was basicily told by some that the problem does not exist, even though others were posting the problems here. I have read the same (from same people) concerning the K5 problem that Pentax just announced as true.

I really don't understand why some just think everyone is going throug all that trouble, and making up these problems. I am a Pentax fan boy myself, but I don't hide my head in the sand, then condem what I don't see.

On the other hand, the "crying wolf" bunch is easy to spot.

My K-r does have the FF problem, but I can work around it, until a firmware fix arrives. The manual adjustments did help mine.

Randy

emem
emem Veteran Member • Posts: 4,424
Very encouraging to say the least ....

... that's two honest responses to two different problems from Pentax recently. I sincerely hope this is the beginning of a new customer relationship philosophy on Pentax's part. There have certainly been many of us who have harped (yes, I concede we've harped) about this very thing for months and months now - even years. Perhaps they've finally decided to listen. I'm sure such honesty can only reflect well on them.

We all know that modern electronic gadgetry is prone to more problems than simpler mechanical things. Pretending there isn't a problem when it is absolutely certain that there is is simply stupidity.
Well done Pentax - keep it up.
--
Mike M. (emem)
http://www.veritasmea.com

emem's gear list:emem's gear list
Pentax *ist DS Pentax K10D Pentax K20D Nikon D300S Pentax K-5 IIs +12 more
JensR Forum Pro • Posts: 17,971

Jan's point is that early adopters get punished twice: Once by price and once my start-of-production problems.

Yet, if everyone would think like you (and I and many others), there would be no early adopters, hence no guinea pigs finding all the mistakes. Late adopters benefit from the playfulness, curiosity, wants, needs of the early adopters and hence it should only be fair that we thank them for their help.

-- hide signature --

'Well, 'Zooming with your feet' is usually a stupid thing as zoom rings are designed for hands.' (Me, 2006)
'I don't own lenses. I pwn lenses.' (2009)
My Homepage: http://www.JensRoesner.de

jcespite Regular Member • Posts: 291

I work around the issue as well by using live-view. -10 doesn't cut it for my limited lens but live-view does! The only frustration was that I had a Kx with no issues.

jcespite's gear list:jcespite's gear list
Fujifilm X-T3 Leica Summilux-M 50mm f/1.4 ASPH Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS OnePlus 3 +1 more
coleviolin Veteran Member • Posts: 5,993

Jens, I appreciate the sentiment. I'm one of the early adopters of the K-r, and I did it with the awareness that with new technological things, there's always a probability of finding bugs. I really wanted the K-r though, and didn't care about that or the slightly higher price. The cost evens out in the long run, and the bugs usually get fixed in the short run. I'm still under warranty until October, and I trust that other people have not had the ff issue, so one way or another I'll manage to get some good use of the camera that I simply love. Of course I'm an amateur, and only interested in playing around with photography, but I also care that Pentax strives to remain competitive, because I currently don't see anything that I like from other companies. Solid body, ergonomics, and great image quality is all I ask for. I think it's useful for them to read this forum to get feedback, positive and negative, and I also recommend the K-r to anybody who is shopping for a camera like it right now.

In fact I'm so happy about Pentax that I ordered a new DA 18-55 WR this week to fulfill my modest wide angle adventures.

Cheers,
--
Lipo

Raphael Mabo Senior Member • Posts: 1,164

I have not seen anyone in this forum claiming that those that has the problem doesn't have the problem. BUT we have users in this forum with those cameras, claiming that they don't have the problem. So the problem does not affect all cameras. Some has the problem, some does not - especially in the case of the K-5. Some that had the problem has had their cameras fixed by Pentax, they got back a working unit. More and more postings about this regarding the K-5 is happening here.

But if those without the problem says that they don't have the problem, then there always those in this forum that misinterprets this as if they are telling that non one doesn't have the problem.

K-5 and K-r may not have the same problem, or the causes for the problem may not be the same. The K-5 does have a colour sensitive sensor, the K-r does not. So the K-5 should be more accurate in tungsten light. I believe sample variation on the colour sensor is affecting the K-5 behavior here. K-r could have a different cause and therefore a different solution.

-- hide signature --
il_alexk Senior Member • Posts: 2,726

Raphael Mabo wrote:

I have not seen anyone in this forum claiming that those that has the problem doesn't have the problem.

Of course you haven't. But others have, just keep reading around :).

But you've seen people thinking that the issue wasn't fixable in firmware due to design limitations, haven't you?
http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1036&message=36990516

Raphael Mabo wrote:

The K-5 uses an additional colour sensitive sensor to help accuracy in tungsten light. The K-r does not feature this hardware piece. I don't believe it is fixable in firmware.

I don't know about you, but for me it sounded like K-r wasn't designed to solve the problem at first place. Doesn't it look strange to you that Pentax engineers "work under hard pressure" to fix things which weren't supposed to work due to design based on the sensor without color sensitive module?

Anyway, I'm glad Pentax is moving to the right direction both with K-5 stains and K-r FF problems. Now they should find solution for the poor SDM motors quality and for K-5 low light FF issues.

-- hide signature --

Cheers,
Alex

il_alexk's gear list:il_alexk's gear list
Pentax K-5 IIs Sony a7R III Fujifilm X-A5 Fujifilm X-T100 Pentax smc FA 50mm F1.4 +8 more
jamesm007 Veteran Member • Posts: 5,663

jcespite wrote:

I work around the issue as well by using live-view. -10 doesn't cut it for my limited lens but live-view does! The only frustration was that I had a Kx with no issues.

Sorry to get off topic and ask a question. With the K-7 or K-5 I thought Pentax allowed the AF fine tunings two settings "Apply All", "Apply one (your current lens)" to be additive that is you have + - 20 ability on each lens. Or really the ability to fine tune the body then each lens. In the K20D it can't be added.

This is for anyone?

jamesm007's gear list:jamesm007's gear list
Pentax K20D Pentax K-5 Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM Sigma 17-70mm F2.8-4 DC Macro OS HSM Pentax smc DA 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 AL WR +12 more
JensR Forum Pro • Posts: 17,971

Hi Lipo!

I can see what you mean.

For me, it's not only the money or scepticism whether or not I will get a fully okay camera.

It's also that in the past I have sometimes been to eager to jump into stuff. On the other hand, you only live once, so there's no point in resisting too much...

In fact I'm so happy about Pentax that I ordered a new DA 18-55 WR this week to fulfill my modest wide angle adventures.

The affordable WR lenses are a great asset for PEntax - I just wish Pentax would have a weathersealed affordable body to go with it. You know, like a modernised K200D. I might even live with the lesser viewfinder compared to my DS then.

Cheers
Jens

-- hide signature --

'Well, 'Zooming with your feet' is usually a stupid thing as zoom rings are designed for hands.' (Me, 2006)
'I don't own lenses. I pwn lenses.' (2009)
My Homepage: http://www.JensRoesner.de

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads