X100 Norweigan Hands on preview with high ISO samples!!!!

Started Jan 25, 2011 | Discussions
Bussta Regular Member • Posts: 197
X100 Norweigan Hands on preview with high ISO samples!!!!

Use Google translate for the english translation

http://www.akam.no/artikler/fujifilm_x100/80789/1

High Iso looks impressive to say the least and it's in a early pre production model, dare I say the high iso goes as far to be better than the Leica M9, think leica are going to have some serious competition when this is released.

The sample images are Jpegs, so one can think of ho much gain by shooting Raw you eill get too,

I am seriously impressed with the high ISO, upto 6400 it still looks clean and usable, trumping the New Nikon D7000 it's put up against.

(unknown member) Forum Pro • Posts: 13,144
Re: X100 Norweigan Hands on preview with high ISO samples!!!!

Bussta wrote:

High Iso looks impressive to say the least and it's in a early pre production model, dare I say the high iso goes as far to be better than the Leica M9, think leica are going to have some serious competition when this is released.

The sample images are Jpegs, so one can think of ho much gain by shooting Raw you eill get too,

I am seriously impressed with the high ISO, upto 6400 it still looks clean and usable, trumping the New Nikon D7000 it's put up against.

Wow.....amazing pics.

But why in the world would this be the first place for them to appear? Sheesh Fuji.

Small Smile
Small Smile Contributing Member • Posts: 796

Thanks for link...

Anyone know the brand flash pin:

No Nikon, no Olympus/Panasonic, no Canon... what????

Regards.

Luigi
--
Ham can't teach nothing to Pig ...

... my crazy gallery: http://www.flickr.com/photos/ludena2005/sets/

Small Smile's gear list:Small Smile's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix HS10 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ50 Fujifilm FinePix S100fs Fujifilm FinePix S200EXR Nikon Coolpix 5400 +27 more
Boris Moscow Contributing Member • Posts: 784

Thanks a lot!

Do I smell a Non Fuji sensor?

-- hide signature --

'Life is something that happens to you while you're making other plans'.
M. Millar

Barry Fitzgerald Forum Pro • Posts: 29,888

Well they trumped DPR with samples (though the DPR one was decent as a preview)

It's the images we want to see and they look as you would expect from a 12mp CMOS sensor good and still very good at high ISO.

However comparisons with Nikon are only useful if we know what settings are available for jpegs ala low or off NR for jpegs.

At this stage I'm not sure what the Fuji will offer on this if anything and Nikon are no longer considered excellent for jpegs at high ISO (not bad but possibly not as good as Pentax)

Personally I'd rather have more noise and details than smeared images so I'll be keeping an eye on this one but as ever it's pre production firmware but even so I see nothing to be scared off with these images.

Guussie Regular Member • Posts: 176

The iso 800 and above photo's almost made me cry. I have never seen such bad DR. The snow is one big highlight. It's a shame !
But maybe blown highlights are retro too.
In that case I apologize.

Regards,
Guussie

rattymouse wrote:

Bussta wrote:

Wow.....amazing pics.

But why in the world would this be the first place for them to appear? Sheesh Fuji.

mosman1 Regular Member • Posts: 393
am not impressed !
-- hide signature --

'Don't argue with an ignorant for it will be hard for people to differentiate between you!!'

limlh Senior Member • Posts: 1,165
Too much NR

I think there is too much NR. Even ISO400 sample shows some loss of details. At ISO6400, it's cleaner than D7000, but has less details. I hope the NR level is adjustable or can be turned off.

-- hide signature --
steras Senior Member • Posts: 1,086

rattymouse wrote:

Bussta wrote:

Wow.....amazing pics.

Why not? What country would you prefer the first samples from?

If it means anything, Norway has the highest density of DSLR users per capita in the world.

steras's gear list:steras's gear list
Canon PowerShot G10 Nikon 1 V1 Nikon D2H Nikon D5300 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 +10 more
Barry Fitzgerald Forum Pro • Posts: 29,888
Re: Too much NR

limlh wrote:

I think there is too much NR. Even ISO400 sample shows some loss of details. At ISO6400, it's cleaner than D7000, but has less details. I hope the NR level is adjustable or can be turned off.

This is of course exactly what we don't know about this model.

If you can adjust the NR levels I'd like to see that but it might not happen, Fuji are not known for their awesome jpeg quality (though to be fair quite a few other makers are not either)

It is pre production and with no raw to compare we're just guessing at this stage but yes I agree I'd like to see less NR going on for jpegs.

steras Senior Member • Posts: 1,086

Bussta wrote:

They state quite clearly that the test camera has a very immature firmware version and this could mean the final jpegs ought to be better. They also shot with default Normal and not Fine quality jpegs.

steras's gear list:steras's gear list
Canon PowerShot G10 Nikon 1 V1 Nikon D2H Nikon D5300 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 +10 more
hueur Junior Member • Posts: 32

Is that fakes ?
Ok, too much NR.
But even at 200 ISO in jpeg, the GXR looks much more sharp. Am I wrong ?

Aetius Junior Member • Posts: 29

Hi everybody! I'm the guy who wrote the hands-on and took the pics. There seems to be some confusion, so I thought I'd clear a few things up:

1) No, they're not fakes. I am a full-time journalist and camera-reviewer at Akam.no, Norway's biggest online photography magazine, and we would never knowingly publish fakes unless they were clearly labeled as such.

2) The X100 we borrowed had an extremely immature firmware which neccessitated a reboot of the camera (most often via the on/off-switch, but sometimes the battery had to come out too) for just about every shot, at which point the camera would reset to default settings. We're talking time, date, quality, ISO, the works.

3) Some of the example shots were shot at normal JPG quality, but all the ISO-comparison shots were shot with fine jpg. I also have the RAW files, but as you know there is no properly calibrated raw-support for these yet, and when there is one, the pre-production raw-files will have lost their relevance.

4) NR was left on the default setting throughout, but though the menus were far from finished (full of placeholders, codes, wildcards and junk), there did seem to be some future plans for adjustment of NR in there.

5) The website I work for is strictly Norwegian language only, but I plan to write an English hands-on on my own (non-profit) blog at everythingPHOTO.net.

(is giving you that address OK according to the rules of this forum? If not, please let me know and I will remove it immediately.)

Any more questions regarding the hands-on or X100, please feel free to ask, and I'll try to answer as best I can.
--
My blog: http://everythingphoto.net/

Thank you for the reply.
How does the X100 feel in the hand ? and through the OVF ?
Thanx

BobYIL Contributing Member • Posts: 940
Aetius...

While you still have the prototype, can you publish more jpeg.fine pictures at full aperture and one stop down to enable us have some ideas about the lens at least?

Regards,

Bob

Aetius wrote:

Hi everybody! I'm the guy who wrote the hands-on and took the pics. There seems to be some confusion, so I thought I'd clear a few things up:

1) No, they're not fakes. I am a full-time journalist and camera-reviewer at Akam.no, Norway's biggest online photography magazine, and we would never knowingly publish fakes unless they were clearly labeled as such.

2) The X100 we borrowed had an extremely immature firmware which neccessitated a reboot of the camera (most often via the on/off-switch, but sometimes the battery had to come out too) for just about every shot, at which point the camera would reset to default settings. We're talking time, date, quality, ISO, the works.

3) Some of the example shots were shot at normal JPG quality, but all the ISO-comparison shots were shot with fine jpg. I also have the RAW files, but as you know there is no properly calibrated raw-support for these yet, and when there is one, the pre-production raw-files will have lost their relevance.

4) NR was left on the default setting throughout, but though the menus were far from finished (full of placeholders, codes, wildcards and junk), there did seem to be some future plans for adjustment of NR in there.

5) The website I work for is strictly Norwegian language only, but I plan to write an English hands-on on my own (non-profit) blog at everythingPHOTO.net.

(is giving you that address OK according to the rules of this forum? If not, please let me know and I will remove it immediately.)

Any more questions regarding the hands-on or X100, please feel free to ask, and I'll try to answer as best I can.
--
My blog: http://everythingphoto.net/

-- hide signature --

BobYIL

It feels solid and reassuringly heavy in the hand. The material in the grip has good friction, and should work fine even when wet. The grip is slightly thicker than the rest of the body, just enough to give a good and comfortable grip, at least in my hand. In the end, it'll be at least somewhat subjective, so your mileage may vary.

The OVF is the main reason why I'm interested in this camera in the first place. I had a Leica M6 back in the day, and the OVF is one of the things I miss the most. The fact that you can see the subject moving into frame is a huge plus when shooting in the street.

That said, the camera we looked at had a very buggy viewfinder. Once you depressed the shutter-button half-way, a digital exposure preview was projected onto it, but not exactly overlapping the optical image, so it got very annoying very quickly. Also, due to the buggy firmware, the camera crashed when we used the lever on the front go go back to normal OVF. Not sure how they intend to implement this in the final version, but I hope we'll be able to select OVF only, without the preview. A live histogram in the OVF would be great, instead!

Oh, and I forgot to mention: The menus seemed to indicate that it will be possible to store your custom settings (like the C-modes in Canons etc), but there seems to be no physical button to select these stored settings, so perhaps though menus only?

-- hide signature --

Thank you.
And what about AF speed ?

Re: Aetius...

BobYIL wrote:

While you still have the prototype, can you publish more jpeg.fine pictures at full aperture and one stop down to enable us have some ideas about the lens at least?

Sory, Bob, we had to return the camera yesterday, and due to the early firmware not recording the jpg-quality in exif, I have no way of checking which shots were taken with fine and which were shot with normal. I made sure to shoot the ISo-comparisons with the fine-setting, but as the damn thing reset for each and every shot, I slipped up on some of the other shots, especially in the beginning, before I learned the firmware's particular foibles.

-- hide signature --

hueur wrote:

Thank you.
And what about AF speed ?

Kinda slow, to be honest, and not at all the responsiveness I'm hoping for in the final version, but I think this is one area where much will be done to improve performance towards launch.

-- hide signature --

Concerning handling, does the X100 feels much more smaller than your M6 ?
The differents wheels seems ok for human hands ?
Thanx

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads