My K-5 sensor stain issue fear came true.....

Started Jan 19, 2011 | Discussions
muratscott Regular Member • Posts: 109
My K-5 sensor stain issue fear came true.....

Hi everyone, on December 1st,just about 2-3 days ago before the sensor stain issue was heard from the forums, I had my cousin buy me a K-5 from Amazon U.S. Since I lived in Turkey I was really worried to get a defected camera but I already had hit the button so it was no use.After receiving the camera, I found out a really tiny and unimportant spot that would generally blend in the picture and be unvisual even with close inspection.I was lucky and having a camera problem free, I started using it with usual test shots....

The second sad part of the story started with a trekking trip one weekend. During that day,I used Live view function to avoid highlight clipping while taking some waterfall pictures.The cmera must have been on Live View mode for more than one minute.After a week, I suddenly remembered I read something about stain issue becoming visible due to sensor heat.Than I decided to take a picture of the clear blue sky with f:25 for checking stain and I was shocked with what I've seen : A bunch of nasty new spots popping out of the picture...

Now I'm trying to have my camera changed since one year internatonal guarantee is valid in my country, altough I purchased my camera from a different country.Such a service is really rarely seen and I'm really proud to have a Pentax now.

What I want to warn other K-5 users is being carefull with the Sensor Stain test.I had over 250 pictures with really no evidence of that spots ( only minor stain as I've described above) but after using Live View for about two minutes and waiting for a few days(pictures taken with Live View at that time were all clean,the stains appeared a few days later....), my spots were visible.

I think it will be better to keep the camera running on Live View for a few minutes and repeat this procedure for at least 2 or 3 times and wait for about five days (if your heart can bear it ) and then checking for the results with taking the pictures as everybody knows : Shooting at the clear sky, focusing on infinity at F:22 .
Hoping you'll have no evidence of stains.Thanks for reading.

P.S. I'm posting two pictures to show new pearls of stains after using Live View function for a long time (in fact only two minutes.) They are about 100 % of crops...

muratscott's gear list:muratscott's gear list
Pentax smc FA 77mm 1.8 Limited
zakaria
zakaria Veteran Member • Posts: 5,408
Re: My K-5 sensor stain issue fear came true.....

thanks for sharing infos but I think shoting on f:25 will give this result with any camera.I had an experience with this issue I just tried 10 k5 they all defective and tried nikon d7000 on f 22 it has many spots like k5.
--
my PPG
http://www.pentaxphotogallery.com/zakariamohie
http://www.flickr.com/photos/kimkoy/
k200+fuji S5 pro & some pentanikon prime lenses.

zakaria's gear list:zakaria's gear list
Nikon D750 Fujifilm X-H1 Pentax K-1 II Pentax smc FA 31mm F1.8 AL Limited HD Pentax DA 21mm F3.2 AL Limited +7 more
OP muratscott Regular Member • Posts: 109

First image is the test shot with f:22 before using Live View mode for 2 minutes' period , second one is a shot with f:25 one week after using Live View mode. I don't think that's a common thing seen with different cameras using such aperture values. I'm meaning the white spots popping out of the picture.I never had that with my K-7 and my K-10D. That's specific only for my K-5....

merengues
merengues Contributing Member • Posts: 576

zakaria wrote:

thanks for sharing infos but I think shoting on f:25 will give this result with any camera.I had an experience with this issue I just tried 10 k5 they all defective and tried nikon d7000 on f 22 it has many spots like k5.

Well there is one thing in common with the K-5 and the D7000, the sensor. It is also used in the Sony a55. I think we all hope is a minor problem caused by excess lubricant, or something similiar.

Earl

merengues's gear list:merengues's gear list
Pentax K-5 Pentax smc DA 15mm F4 ED AL Limited Pentax smc DA* 60-250mm F4.0 ED (IF) SDM Pentax smc FA 31mm F1.8 AL Limited Pentax smc FA 43mm F1.9 Limited +3 more
zakaria

muratscott wrote:

First image is the test shot with f:22 before using Live View mode for 2 minutes' period , second one is a shot with f:25 one week after using Live View mode. I don't think that's a common thing seen with different cameras using such aperture values. I'm meaning the white spots popping out of the picture.I never had that with my K-7 and my K-10D. That's specific only for my K-5....

I thought first it is specific only for K-5 as you said .the local seller is my friend he was full shocked when he realized the result coming from d7000.

I wish I could I have the pictures result.it is the like yours a white spots and a bit gray spots behiend.I think now the issue is belong to sony.
--
my PPG

Nikon D750 Fujifilm X-H1 Pentax K-1 II Pentax smc FA 31mm F1.8 AL Limited HD Pentax DA 21mm F3.2 AL Limited +7 more

I've just checked the D7000 forum and made a search for the sensor stain.They seem not to be affected with the problem...They just feel sorry for us Pentaxians...

zakaria

muratscott wrote:

I've just checked the D7000 forum and made a search for the sensor stain.They seem not to be affected with the problem...They just feel sorry for us Pentaxians...

I will try to post some if I COULD.
--
my PPG

Kopend05 Contributing Member • Posts: 868

AP magazine in the UK stated this week that Pentax are urgently reviewing the K5 sensor problem regarding thses issue.

dexmus Regular Member • Posts: 176

zakaria wrote:

I don' think your statement is true. With f22, you may see dust spots on any camera but not the stains. These are always a string or chain with a glow around them. These are not regular dust pots.

I have had several cameras, the recent one from Pentax was a k-x. I have many pictures at f16 and higher. Although I noticed dust at smaller apertures, there were isolated, unsharp, fuzzy dust stops. Very easily removable with 'retouch'. I have never seen such a string of sharp, glowing stops.

ABhi
--
flickr http://www.flickr.com/abhishekiam

zakaria

dexmus wrote:

zakaria wrote:

I don' think your statement is true. With f22, you may see dust spots on any camera but not the stains. These are always a string or chain with a glow around them. These are not regular dust pots.

I have had several cameras, the recent one from Pentax was a k-x. I have many pictures at f16 and higher. Although I noticed dust at smaller apertures, there were isolated, unsharp, fuzzy dust stops. Very easily removable with 'retouch'. I have never seen such a string of sharp, glowing stops.

ABhi
--
flickr http://www.flickr.com/abhishekiam

why you dont think so. I know the different between stains and spots.as i mentioned befor I tried many k5 and know what are the stains.

I will try to go the shop and make some shoots with the defective d7000 and post them here if I COULD.
--
my PPG

The first picture is taken before using Live View and heating up the sensor which shows an almost invisible and negligible dark spot.It's been the same spot witout a change for 250 shutter counts.The second picture (shutter count 251) clearly shows what may happen after heating the sensor during composing a picture with Live view option or simply using the Movie Mode.

I think there's no way to avoiding Live View function,some day each of us will use it...My humble advice is to use it as much as possible and find out these ring of pearls before your warranty EXPIRES !!!!!

mihais Regular Member • Posts: 321
leave the fear behind

muratscott wrote:

The first picture is taken before using Live View and heating up the sensor which shows an almost invisible and negligible dark spot.It's been the same spot witout a change for 250 shutter counts.The second picture (shutter count 251) clearly shows what may happen after heating the sensor during composing a picture with Live view option or simply using the Movie Mode.

I think there's no way to avoiding Live View function,some day each of us will use it...My humble advice is to use it as much as possible and find out these ring of pearls before your warranty EXPIRES !!!!!

The glowing pixels I got after 10 min of video and appeared in half dozen photos. Relax, i have never seen it again.

My camera is Pentax kx, I suspect glowing pixels is a sensor problem and I am convinced you can see it with any camera if you heat up the electronics.

My sincere advice is to send it back if you do not trust it or learn to live with it. Any technology has its own limitations

cheers, Mihai

mihais's gear list:mihais's gear list
Pentax K-x Pentax smc DA 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 ED AL II (IF) +2 more
janneman02 Forum Pro • Posts: 15,733

muratscott wrote:

I just posted two comparisons myself and I have found that:
a- like you, the original stain did not change, despite some claims

b- I did not encounter any new pearls , so I am quite confused by your findings... as they do look like the original stringstains with big pearls.
Maybe there are two different stain issues

-- hide signature --

The difference between genius and LBA is that genius has its
limits.

• Janneman ( adaptation of the Kings quote from Albert Einstein)

After a few days I took another test shot and the new pearl of stains are still visible... My advice for K-5 owners is to be cautious about the fact that these pearl of stains can be visible through time and that they should take regular test shots to find them out....

And as for the stain pattern and color, it may be dependent on the solution amount that's stuck between the AA filter and the sensor.That may explain the difference in colors between the samples.That's only my guess of course...

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads