Fuji X100 vs. Leica X1 vs. Gf1 w/20mm pancake
M4/3's makes a tradeoff that has never appealed to me, but I've shot extensively with the x1 and x100. On paper I prefer the x100, in usage the x1.
The fuji has all the obvious advantages, (ovf, high iso, faster lens, newer af tech, etc) but the leica consistantly takes photos I prefer. It comes down to better colors, (particularly reds) and higher microcontrast from the elmarit.
Neither is the best camera for every situation, but they both fit the same niche for me. The x1 gets far more bag time then does the fuji.
I think the key to deciding which of the three is best for you comes down to your intended usage firstly and budget next.
If I was starting fresh, I would wait to see how things shake out with the fuji x1 pro.
Nothing like following up on a year old thread!
I sold the GF1+20mm pancake to buy the X100. I like the X100 but after a owning it a couple weeks it's not a slam dunk over the GF1. Bottom line: X100 is so idiosyncratic that I would suggest buying from a store with a good return policy, and really kicking the tires.
1) Skin tone. Really. My 3 year old still has the translucent skin of youth, and I want to capture it in pictures before it's gone. The X100's sensor, lens, and in camera JPG just nail it. The image quality of the best images from the X100 are some of the best I've ever seen from any camera. I feel like I'm seeing again what I saw with my own eyes, and it's hard to overstate that pleasure.
2) The OVF/EVF. I don't have anything new to add here, but I just love being able to hold the camera up to my eye instead of at arm's length.
1) Autofocus: just awful. Frequently hunts and misses. No excuse for how bad it is, and the lack of functional manual focus makes it hard to adjust.
2) 35mm field of view. It is what it is, but I didn't appreciate that the extra 5mm you get from the 20mm panny make it so much easier to fill the screen. I'm very happy with a fixed lens, but 35mm is wider than I thought when I bought it.
So... the GF1 has a better ratio of keepers than the X100. But the keepers from the X100 are gorgeous, and noticeably better than the GF1.
Marc A. Garrett
- Canon EOS M58.8%
- Panasonic G85/G803.3%
- Panasonic FZ2500/FZ20001.9%
- Panasonic LX10/LX151.2%
- Panasonic GH5 development3.6%
- Sony a99 II15.9%
- Nikon KeyMission 170 and 801.0%
- Fujifilm GFX 50S development28.3%
- Olympus E-M1 II development18.7%
- Olympus E-PL80.1%
- Olympus 25mm F1.2 Pro1.5%
- Olympus 12-100mm F4 IS Pro1.9%
- Olympus 30mm F3.5 Macro0.1%
- Sigma 85mm F1.4 Art3.6%
- Sigma 12-24mm F4 Art2.6%
- Sigma 500mm F4 DG OS HSM Sport2.4%
- YI M12.2%
- GoPro Hero50.8%
- GoPro Karma drone2.2%
|Flower in flower by atdigit|
from Random Items Challenge 26
|Surface tension by atdigit|
from Right in the middle
|A Normal Dat at Thomas's Clap 2016-9379 by Andrew Maltzoff|
from Show us SCHOOL!