Windows 7 and my 5D MKl

Started Jan 6, 2011 | Discussions
digital_photog Contributing Member • Posts: 762
Windows 7 and my 5D MKl

I loaded my pc with windows 7 and attached my cameras one by one and guess what? Windows has no driver for the 5D! I checked Canon's sites (US and Europe) and there are no drivers available!! Contacted Canon and they told me they are not supporting the 5D in windows 7. My 7D and 40D work just fine using EOS Utility but not the 5D. Any one else having ths issue???

Fred

MAC Forum Pro • Posts: 16,083
Re: Windows 7 and my 5D MKl

digital_photog wrote:

I loaded my pc with windows 7 and attached my cameras one by one and guess what? Windows has no driver for the 5D! I checked Canon's sites (US and Europe) and there are no drivers available!! Contacted Canon and they told me they are not supporting the 5D in windows 7. My 7D and 40D work just fine using EOS Utility but not the 5D. Any one else having ths issue???

Fred

this is true. Get a card reader. Or run with w7 pro - xp emulation

MAC's gear list:MAC's gear list
Canon EOS 6D Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EOS RP Canon EOS M6 II Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L USM +9 more
OP digital_photog Contributing Member • Posts: 762

Windows 7 home premium does not work that way only Pro.

RedFox88 Forum Pro • Posts: 30,407
why needed?

digital_photog wrote:

Windows 7 home premium does not work that way only Pro.

Why are you needing to do this?

I have a 5D and really the only useful thing there is to do with your camera plugged into your computer is insert the "owner name" so it's in the EXIF of all your files. For downloading photos, just use a card reader. And I think you might need to use a card reader in order to get RAW files off your card as Windows probably won't recognize the RAW files if the camera is hooked in with a USB cable - only recognize JPGs.

gman02 New Member • Posts: 21

Got Windows 7 and 5d loaded software and works fine

gman02 New Member • Posts: 21
Re: why needed?

Just tried Took raw images when box poped up clicked on download images using windows, then it showed images coming off eos5d, opened in pics folder then openned in dpp

RedFox88 Forum Pro • Posts: 30,407

gman02 wrote:

Just tried Took raw images when box poped up clicked on download images using windows, then it showed images coming off eos5d, opened in pics folder then openned in dpp

When camera hooked up with a USB cable? Maybe communication has improved. At one time, 6 years ago, RAW files could not be seen by a Windows computer through a USB cable.

Don Petersen New Member • Posts: 1

I also have no problem downloading pictures from my 5D to Windows 7 using Canon EOS Utility. I've updating my software from the Canon web site several times over the years. If you're trying to use the version on the original disk that shipped with your 5D, that may be the problem.

A Owens Veteran Member • Posts: 3,547

digital_photog wrote:

Fred

Are you using a 64 bit version of Win 7 (i.e. Home Premium)? If so there is no support for 64 bit; never has been, even in Vista.

Its RKM Veteran Member • Posts: 3,136

RedFox88 wrote:

gman02 wrote:

When camera hooked up with a USB cable? Maybe communication has improved. At one time, 6 years ago, RAW files could not be seen by a Windows computer through a USB cable.

Even Win98 recognised RAW files when my 5D was connected via USB right out of the box > 5years ago. Given that I was transferring many types of file by USB between Win PCs using Laplink years before then, I doubt whether there ever was any specific file type issue with Windows, just the Canon software to recognise what to download from the camera.
--
Its RKM

John_N Contributing Member • Posts: 954
Use W7 Pro and XP Mode.

With Windows 7 Pro, you can install "XP Mode" and virtualization software for free from Microsoft.
XP Mode runs Windows XP in a window on Windows 7. It works fine.
Install your Canon software and drivers in XP Mode.
I use this to shoot tethered with my old 5D and new W7 laptop.

Here's a link to how it's done-

http://blog.chytilphoto.com/2010/03/tethering-the-canon-5d-under-windows-7-64-bit-xp-mode/

John_N's gear list:John_N's gear list
Canon PowerShot G15 Canon EOS 5D Mark III
3systermuser Contributing Member • Posts: 972

I dont want to say this again but there is no EOS5D MKl , it is the original 5D.

And you can go Canon's download page and check if there is somthing or you can also see support and service page at Canon site.

make sure to go Canon world wide site, not US or UK or EU or Jp site.

digital_photog wrote:

Fred

-- hide signature --

derek.
my current cameras:Soony A900/EOS5DMKll.
no more Pentax for me , its lens line and AF really suck..

First my 5D is the original, second I have Win 7 Home not Pro. third EOS utility new version does not support the 5D on Win 7. I use the program for other things like tethered shooting as well as downloading pic's I can and do download pictures with my card reader when necessary and now I will down load with the reader. I can however down load the card from the camera is I change the communication setting to PTP.
Thanks for all your responses.

Fred

John_N Contributing Member • Posts: 954
Upgrade to W7 Pro and use XP Mode

You can do an "anytime upgrade" of Windows 7 to the Pro version, from the Control Panel. It's around $80, and it downloads. Then you can install XP Mode from Microsoft for free.
See my previous post.

John_N's gear list:John_N's gear list
Canon PowerShot G15 Canon EOS 5D Mark III
Re: Upgrade to W7 Pro and use XP Mode

John_N wrote:

You can do an "anytime upgrade" of Windows 7 to the Pro version, from the Control Panel. It's around $80, and it downloads. Then you can install XP Mode from Microsoft for free.
See my previous post.

Thank for the info, but I will wait for my new PC before updating to "PRO" version. My 5 year old laptop cannot handle any other version. I can live without EOS Utility for some time as it works for my 40D, and 7D. Acctually I could load the CF card from the 5D into the 40D and use the utility to download. EOS Utility has been a help for other uses.

Thanks again.

Fred

The QCC New Member • Posts: 1
Widows 7 and Canon 5D Mk II

Yes, Windows 7 x64 (any version) recognizes the Canon 5D Mk II via the USB cable.

Windows Auto Play displays several actions you can take:
Import pictures and videos using Windows
Download images using Bridge CS5
Download images from EOS camera using Canon EOS Utility
Open device to view files using Windows explorer

Granted, the normal way to access the 5D Mk II is using a card reader and import with Lightroom or a similar manager. But the USB cable method does work with Windows 7.

Carl

The QCC's gear list:The QCC's gear list
Canon EOS 5D
Uncle Mikey Forum Member • Posts: 82
Pathetic!

I have both a 5D and 1DMK IV and I use the 5D with a 70-200 quite often for business portraits. I bring my laptop, do a little on-site location lighting, and then connect the 5D to the laptop with CaptureOne in tethered-mode and we instantly see what I am shooting. I then review the shots with the subject and we shoot until we are happy with the results.

It's a great setup. A principle use of the laptop for me is sessions like this. But I needed to upgrade my laptop. The new one has Windows 7. When I hooked up CaptureOne with the 5D I was surprised that there was no driver available. So the new laptop is essentially useless with the 5D!

I could use the 1D but I much prefer the 5D for this particular use.

For Canon to NOT have a driver for the latest version of the most popular operating system (Windows) with one of it's all-time most popular cameras really shows that Canon views it's customers as DOLLARS AND CENTS, and nothing more. They would pull the plug on millions of users for the chance that some of us will buy their latest models? Pathetic.

GearCollector Contributing Member • Posts: 976
Re: Pathetic!

I have never experienced any company offering perpetual support for one of their discontinued products as it relates to third party products. And I wouldn't expect such either. So Canon is no different.

GearCollector's gear list:GearCollector's gear list
Canon PowerShot TX1 Canon PowerShot SX1 IS Canon PowerShot Pro70 Canon PowerShot Pro90 IS Canon PowerShot Pro1 +28 more
Uncle Mikey Forum Member • Posts: 82
Re: Pathetic!

I am not talking "perpetual" here - I am talking "pathetic". The 5D is hardly some ancient product. When I got Windows 7 I did not need to go out and buy the latest printers, scanners, etc that I bought in the past couple of years. They all have Win7 drivers. Does the latest version of Lightroom support the 5D or do you need to go out and get a new camera when you upgrade LR?

Why no W7 driver for the 5D? Because Canon doesn't care what users want or deserve. They just want to squeeze more $$ out of us. Sure, they just want to make money. But in the long run, good customer service and support are just as important to the bottom line as selling more stuff.

Should you go out and buy a 5DMKII, considering that it might not be supported if a new version of Windows comes out next year? Customers should consider a company's track record when making a purchase. Canon's track record is not so good here.

ScottsdalePhotographer New Member • Posts: 1

I had this problem too. I needed to fix it so that I could use the eos utility for uploading my images.

I have a contract with Microsoft that allows me to install different os's on my computers. I installed windows 7 and then attached my 5d mark ii. Windows wouldn't recognize it, did not have a driver and canon didn't either. Then I noticed that I had installed widows 7 home premium "N". The N version is a European version. So I reinstalled with the non N version and now my 5d is found as soon as I plug it in and the Eos utility works for uploading again.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads