645d resolution comparison: K5 / K10d / Leica M9 / Canon 5d MkII

Started Dec 29, 2010 | Discussions
mjbnyc New Member • Posts: 19
645d resolution comparison: K5 / K10d / Leica M9 / Canon 5d MkII

Below is a real life resolution comparison. Purpose was to see how much real additional resolution the 645 provides compared to full frame or APS-C. Comparison is against K-5 and K10d with FA35mm, the Canon 5d MK2 with the 50mm L, and the Leica M9 with the 50mm Summilux. All shots at ISO 200, f5.6, 1/1000th. The 645d has a slightly unfair advantage as the 75mm lens is essentially a 60mm equivalent, whereas all the others are c. 50mm.

I resized the other files using BenVista photozoom so they match the 645d 100% crop.

Five examples below. Except for the 645d, I did not label them and erased the EXIF, so people can have some fun guessing.

You need to click on the expand icon to get full size.

Voikkari Senior Member • Posts: 1,059
Re: 645d resolution comparison: K5 / K10d / Leica M9 / Canon 5d MkII

Please give the answers tomorrow. Maybe?

-- hide signature --

K5 / K20 / K10D/*istD
MZ5n/Z70/SF7/MESuper/MX/Spotmatic F
Pentax since Spotmatic F

Voikkari's gear list:Voikkari's gear list
Pentax *ist D Pentax K-5 Pentax K10D Pentax K20D Pentax smc DA 16-45mm F4 ED AL +5 more
JL Salvignol
JL Salvignol Senior Member • Posts: 1,684

M9
5D
K10
K5

Maybe...
--
JLS

JL Salvignol's gear list:JL Salvignol's gear list
Sigma DP2 Merrill Nikon Coolpix A Pentax K-01 Nikon 1 V1 Nikon 1 S1 +16 more
Patrizio Contributing Member • Posts: 543

Interesting.... Thanks for sharing.

I believe they are:
1) M9
2)5DMkII
3)K10d
4)K-5
--
http://www.flickr.com/photos/wallahalla/sets/72157622727648814/

TMT Tomanytakumars Forum Member • Posts: 69

To me it looks like something is seriously wrong with your comparison images. It might be just the upsampling iq? All I can see is very mushy pixels, one worse than the other. Is no3 in focus? I don´t think you doing any camera justice. It might be worse to show the original sized images, even if the size is a giveaway .
Anyway thanks for your effort.
Regards

dlacoutu Contributing Member • Posts: 811

Hummm, for a fair comparison, apertures should have been different, no? So they would all end up with the same DoF...

I'm always lost by those inter-format comparison, I never know how they should be done...

dlacoutu's gear list:dlacoutu's gear list
Pentax K-5 Samsung NX100 Samsung NX200 Pentax smc DA 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 AL WR Pentax smc FA 50mm F1.4 +6 more
OP mjbnyc New Member • Posts: 19

TMT Tomanytakumars wrote:

To me it looks like something is seriously wrong with your comparison images. It might be just the upsampling iq? All I can see is very mushy pixels, one worse than the other. Is no3 in focus? I don´t think you doing any camera justice. It might be worse to show the original sized images, even if the size is a giveaway .
Anyway thanks for your effort.
Regards

The upsampling by definition makes things mushier, but that is a real-life problem: if you want to print really large but your orginal doesn't have the resolution, you are forced to upsample at a certain point. There are different ways you can do this of course, but the S-spline algorithm used here will actually result in sharper pictures (as it tries to vectorise to some degree) than e.g. bicubic would.

Re focus, all images are in focus. However, some would have benefited from unsharp mask application after upsampling (e.g. no 3). I did not do this to keep the comparison like-for-like.

eruditass Senior Member • Posts: 1,052

M9
5D
K5
K10

K10 is obvious to tell since you stated you used a S-Spline interpolation algorithm and it had the least resolution. IMHO, you should've just used a stepped interpretation algorithm.
--
Correct my incorrect photography answers at:
http://photo.stackexchange.com/users/389/eruditass

Please update the Camera Shutter Life Expectancy Database with your experiences:
http://www.olegkikin.com/shutterlife/

(unknown member) Senior Member • Posts: 2,216

I'm trying to learn about this digital stuff so, strictly as a learning exercise, here is what I thought:

1 has v. high resolution but some Moire and some noise, so, M9.

2 has high resolution, no Moire, an less noise, so Canon 5D

3 and 4 have lower resolution, with 4 having very obvious interpolation artifacts, so they are the APS-C cameras. I guess 3 is the higher-res K5 model, but I know nothing about Pentax DSLRs.

Joe

jamesm007 Veteran Member • Posts: 5,663

Its for fun right!

Thanks I do enjoy these things. I just sit here and pretend I am an expert LOL...

BTW no matter how perfect you made them some would complain. Then we come to the it's for fun! The cameras are each in their own class this is not to see who's better than who IMO...

It's easy!!! Yea... here goes easiest to hardest last.

OK first, have to say pic 1 is the 645D because its retaining far more detail than the rest.

EDIT OPPS should have read more careful, you state such!

Second, K-5 because it has a lot of CA/PF!

Third K10D, it has a moderate degree of CA and is OK.

Fourth, Leica M9; just guessing

Fifth, guessing its the 5d MK2
--
jamesm007,

http://www.flickr.com/photos/jamesm007/
http://s195.photobucket.com/albums/z77/jamesm700/

jamesm007's gear list:jamesm007's gear list
Pentax K20D Pentax K-5 Sigma 17-70mm F2.8-4 DC Macro OS HSM Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM Pentax smc DA 35mm F2.4 AL +12 more
tmt79 Forum Member • Posts: 75

Hi all,

1.645D as stated
2.M9
3.5DII
4.K5
5.K10D

Imho..
--
Kon10Der:)
http://www.flickr.com/photos/tmt79/
K20D,*ist.DA*16-50.FA20,35,50,28-105.A70-210.

MightyMike Forum Pro • Posts: 40,519

5D, m9, K10D, K-5
--
Mike from Canada

'I like to think so far outside the box that it would require a telephoto lens just to see the box!' ~ 'My Quote :)'

http://www.airliners.net/search/photo.search?sort_order=views%20DESC&first_this_page=0&page_limit=180&&emailsearch=mighty_mike88%40hotmail.com&thumbnails=

pspentax
pspentax Regular Member • Posts: 282

1.645D as stated
2.K5 but maybe M9
3.M9 but maybe K5
4.5DII
5.K10D

-- hide signature --

Still shooting 35/120/220mm film

pspentax's gear list:pspentax's gear list
Sony a7R Pentax Q Canon EOS 5D Mark II Sony a7S Sony FE 35mm F2.8 +6 more
Mike Stratil Contributing Member • Posts: 949

I greatly appreciate this effort. What the comparison tells me is that the 645D provides a vast improvement over all of the other cameras shown. This encourages me to think that th investment would be well worth the cost.

I wish other 645D owners would provide this kind of comparison.
--
Mike S

photogerald Senior Member • Posts: 1,798

645D
M9 (a lot of folks underestimate the Leica)
5D
K5
K10D

exp1orer
exp1orer Senior Member • Posts: 2,813
your test vs that of IR: significantly different results...

...when it comes to resolution

http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/645D/645DA.HTM

-- hide signature --
Irakly Shanidze
Irakly Shanidze Veteran Member • Posts: 6,519

I have no idea how 5d mkII, k10d and k5 (whatever they are) look like, but the second one really looks M9 to me.
The test is flawed in two respects, however:

1. In a real life situation, if I need a really large print, I will take a medium format camera.

2. When you need the very large print, you don't compare how the picture looks at 100% magnification on the screen, you set prints side by side and look at them. I found that M8 and M9 prints look much better than one may expect just by looking at the screen. To prevent any misunderstanding, I am talking 5 to 6 feet wide prints.

-- hide signature --
 Irakly Shanidze's gear list:Irakly Shanidze's gear list
Leica M9 Leica M10 Leica S2 Leica SL (Typ 601) Panasonic S1 +17 more
HonourableTyr Senior Member • Posts: 1,087

M9
5DmkII
K10D
K5
--
Regards,
Tyr

My Photos:
http://www.pentaxphotogallery.com/danielfranco

HonourableTyr's gear list:HonourableTyr's gear list
Pentax K-5 Pentax smc DA* 16-50mm F2.8 ED AL (IF) SDM Pentax smc DA* 50-135mm F2.8 ED (IF) SDM Pentax smc DA* 300mm F4.0 ED (IF) SDM Pentax smc D-FA 100mm F2.8 Macro WR +4 more
(unknown member) Senior Member • Posts: 2,216
Wow!...

The 645d images at IR look superb !

Joe

Model Mike Veteran Member • Posts: 3,892

mjbnyc wrote:

The upsampling by definition makes things mushier, but that is a real-life problem: if you want to print really large but your orginal doesn't have the resolution, you are forced to upsample at a certain point.

Interesting comparision, but I think to describe it as a 'real life' problem is a little bit misleading. It's really only an issue if you need to upsample, which in practice would mean print at A2 and larger. Below A2, and of course the limiting factor is the printer, not the sensor megapixels, so the differences would likely greatly diminish.

A more useful real-life comparison would be to compare the detail in the actual prints at A3 and A2. Bearing in mind of course that at normal viewing distances, it's the resolution of your eyes which become the limiting factor, even more so that that of the printer.
--
Mike
http://flickr.com/rc-soar

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads