Samsung NX 85mm f/1.4 P ED SSA

Started Dec 29, 2010 | Discussions
strata83 Contributing Member • Posts: 720
Samsung NX 85mm f/1.4 P ED SSA

Looks yummy.

strata83's gear list:strata83's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-R1 Nikon 1 V1 Fujifilm X-E2 Nikon 1 Nikkor VR 30-110mm f/3.8-5.6 Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS
kevinschoenmakers Contributing Member • Posts: 637
Re: Samsung NX 85mm f/1.4 P ED SSA

What's the point of a as-small-as-possible mirrorless body when the lenses, primes even, are this big? Was 1.4 really necessary?

Alexramos
Alexramos Senior Member • Posts: 1,597

kevinschoenmakers wrote:

What's the point of a as-small-as-possible mirrorless body when the lenses, primes even, are this big? Was 1.4 really necessary?

Samsung is different to other system.

Olympus and Sony have a DSLR system and Canon/Nikon also if they come in to the mirrorless syetem they don´t need a expanded system with DSLR-styled.
Samsung has not DSLR system and they will have medium/high level models.
Samsung will launch a advanced model, a medium-level DSLR similar.
The NX will have a Nikon DX and Sony DT level cameras.

mu55 Senior Member • Posts: 1,407

I agree - it does look abit large - much larger than I was hoping for...

On the other hand if it's tack sharp at f1.4 into the corners I'll be happy to carry it around anyway. - I'll be buying one for sure anyway - this, the 16mm when it arrives and the 30mm f2 will be my main set up with the 50-200 when I think I might want to zoom (until that 300mm comes out...)

also consider the size of nikons 85mm f1.4 - its still quite small for this type of lens.

The NX10 and this lens would also be my replacement for the 5D and 135L f2 I travel with now - and it's MUCH smaller than that setup.

I know 85mm f1.4 is a tradition but I would have been happy with f2 and a smaller lens.
I think I'll still be ecstatic when i get my hands on one anyway

-- hide signature --

mu55's gear list:mu55's gear list
Ricoh GR Canon EOS 5D Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS 6D Canon EOS 5D Mark IV +17 more
Pangloss
Pangloss Senior Member • Posts: 2,298

Hi,

mu55 wrote:

On the other hand if it's tack sharp at f1.4 into the corners I'll be happy to carry it around anyway.

As far as I know, no fast prime lens is tack sharp in the corners wide open. The good ones become reasonably sharp in the corners at around f2.4~f4.0. Guess we'll have to wait for a thorough review to see how this one fares.

Cheers,
--
Andrew

Pangloss's gear list:Pangloss's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX3 Nikon D200 Ricoh GXR A12 50mm F2.5 Macro Ricoh GXR GR Lens A12 28mm F2.5 Nikon 1 V1 +4 more
jotes25 Regular Member • Posts: 103

Yes, it looks large, but it is close to the limits. Theoretically 85/1.4 could have filter thread approx. 61mm, not less. This has 67mm, not bad. Sigma and Nikon have 77mm! It's a pity Samsung didn't manage to add OIS, it would be first such a prime. But it's a first 85/1.4 with iFn

lol101 Veteran Member • Posts: 5,855

Pangloss wrote:
Hi,

mu55 wrote:

On the other hand if it's tack sharp at f1.4 into the corners I'll be happy to carry it around anyway.

As far as I know, no fast prime lens is tack sharp in the corners wide open. The good ones become reasonably sharp in the corners at around f2.4~f4.0. Guess we'll have to wait for a thorough review to see how this one fares.

Cheers,
--
Andrew

Serious question: why would I want a tack sharp lens in the corners at f1.4?

I know people obsess over this but I never could understand why.

I know why I would want it to be tack sharp in the middle area but generally at f1.4, the corners are oof anyway if you place you subject close to the "1/3rd rule" and I can't really see anyone using f1.4 for landscapes... stage/theater shots maybe?

lol101's gear list:lol101's gear list
Panasonic LX100 Canon EOS-1D Mark II N Canon EOS 6D Canon EOS M5 Canon EF 24mm f/2.8 +5 more

strata83 wrote:

Looks yummy.

It should make for a nice tele lens although it will be a bit large by mirrorless standards.

I still don't know if it makes sense to use large lenses on these small cameras. I use my NX10 as a "carry everywhere" camera in a very small bag, just big enough for the NX10 + 30 or 20mm. If I am going to need to carry a larger photographic bag, why not put my 5D inside it?

For now, I'll stick with small pancakes.

Panasonic LX100 Canon EOS-1D Mark II N Canon EOS 6D Canon EOS M5 Canon EF 24mm f/2.8 +5 more
jotes25 Regular Member • Posts: 103

lol101 wrote:

I still don't know if it makes sense to use large lenses on these small cameras. I use my NX10 as a "carry everywhere" camera in a very small bag, just big enough for the NX10 + 30 or 20mm. If I am going to need to carry a larger photographic bag, why not put my 5D inside it?

Me either. A pancake or two should be enough . However I can imagine that one occasionaly needs other lenses, for portrait (85mm), macro or tele, and doesn't want to buy another system for that. My main system is Canon EOS and I use it 90% with 300mm tele. If planned Samsung 300/4 (2013?) is nice I will propbably stay with Samsung only.

Cbar Junior Member • Posts: 45

Samsung does not see the NX system as a purely carry along camera systems made up of small pancake lenses. They see the NX system as a stand alone camera system to compete with every other manufacturer (Nikon, Canon, Sony, Pentax, Olympus and Panasonic). Yes, Samsung will have bits and parts in the NX line-up that will make for a small carry along setup (NX100 and pancake lenses).

However, having the ability of an 85mm f1.4 lens, which is significantly smaller than all other traditional (35mm) 85mm f1.2/1.4 lenses, in such a compact format is fantastic. Anyone who has ever carried full frame camera gear from Canon or Nikon with a set of high-end lenses will appreciate this much more compact setup. I shoot Canon full frame gear in addition to the Samsung NX10 and NX100 and when I don't want to carry a full size dSLR gear I head out to shoot with a smaller bag filled with NX gear.

I look forward to being able to use the abilities/capabilities of an 85mm f1.4 on the NX cameras. The 85mm f1.4 will expand the usefulness of the NX system and increase the photography possibilities of the NX system. I can't wait until Samsung follows up with a 35mm f1.4, a 50mm f1.4 and a new semi-pro body with a new sensor.

I had an Olympus E-P1 (also a Panasonic G1) before selling it and purchasing into the the Samsung NX system. I was disappointed when Olympus released the downgraded E-PL1. Olympus and Panasonic have really missed the boat with their slow progress on bringing new lenses to market, and in Panasonic's case the slow trickling in/availability of actual product. The biggest issue I had with Olympus/Panasonic was the price of their stuff.

Samsung has created a lot of gear in the last year at a very affordable price point. Some of it quite unique (GPS module for NX system). I think 2011 will be the year we see the NX system mature significantly. Samsung will make good on the promise of being a big player in the mirrorless camera market.

tkbslc Forum Pro • Posts: 15,730

Is it possible to make a tiny 85mm f1.4? That's a big hunk of glass on any system with it's 61mm aperture. It looks smaller than the new Sigma 85mm f1.4 and the Zeiss and Nikkor ones, as well.

I'm very excited to see this lens as it marks the first mirrorless compact system with a real portrait lens. Along with the 16mm, 20mm, 30mm and 60mm primes, this system is becoming very attractive alternative to the DSLR shooter who does not do sports and wildlife.

cucumber Regular Member • Posts: 441

full-frame lenses are bigger, what a surprise...

Knallberto Veteran Member • Posts: 5,478
Oooouuuuch!

Yeah! 85mm/1,4 I hate pancakes ...

TechOutsider Senior Member • Posts: 2,979

It looks big since there isn't a lens equivalent to this one for any other mirrorless system :p.

lol101 wrote:

It should make for a nice tele lens although it will be a bit large by mirrorless standards.

cucumber wrote:

I don't know why my comments warranted a somewhat hostile and sarcastic remark, but full frame has little to do with it. An 85mm f1.4 lens needs an aperture opening of 61mm regardless of format. The short flange distance of the NX mount really only helps wider lenses stay smaller as they don't have to be retrofocal until much wider than the SLR mounts.

lol101 wrote:

Well first off, this is a very small "large" lens. 85mm f1.4 is a very fast telephoto. On your 5D this would be equivalent to using the 135L, which is not very small either. I suspect the NX+85 would be considerably smaller and lighterthan 5D+135L. But the main reason is that many want to replace a DSLR kit with a mirrorless system. This lens gets us pro grade portrait capability (assuming it performs) without keeping a "real" DSLr camera in the kit for portrait work. NEX and m43 can't offer that yet.

cucumber Regular Member • Posts: 441

tkbslc wrote:

cucumber wrote:

I don't know why my comments warranted a somewhat hostile and sarcastic remark, but full frame has little to do with it.

with what? the diameter and the weight of the lens?

Tom Caldwell Forum Pro • Posts: 42,270
I presume I missed something

Must have missed something as everyone is taking this lens as fact.

I also tended to think of the generic EVIL type camera as an exercise in making cameras compact. But I now realise that the clip on evf variety are designed for the compact end and the built in evf variety are just compact dslr types without the mirror box.

It is pointed out that apart from a flirtation with a Pentax clone Samsung has no attachment to a dslr heritage and no doubt it they wish to play with the big boys they must establish themself as a player with the big boys in superior lenses.

Obviously they must match the camera body to the lenses produced and the NX1* will not be humbled completely but perhaps a more sophisticated camera body might be necessary for premium lenses to be used to their full advantage.

If you truly believe that a quality generic EVIL type has to be compact no matter what lens format is fitted then you could not go wrong without adding the Ricoh GXR to the horizon.

The GXR fiddles about with sensor size in order to get large zooms into a compact package. They are quality modules but if we want fast telephoto on aps-c physics tells us they have to be large lenses. However the shorter flange back distance does make them a little smaller and in a bag full of goodies every little bit helps.

My assertion is that the NX1* is smaller format but it is a true replaceable lens full-camera and not specifically desitined to be a compact carry-everywhere although you can make it this by simply fitting a compact wide prime should you so wish.

-- hide signature --

Tom Caldwell
I am always trying ...

tkbslc wrote:

Well first off, this is a very small "large" lens. 85mm f1.4 is a very fast telephoto. On your 5D this would be equivalent to using the 135L, which is not very small either. I suspect the NX+85 would be considerably smaller and lighterthan 5D+135L. But the main reason is that many want to replace a DSLR kit with a mirrorless system. This lens gets us pro grade portrait capability (assuming it performs) without keeping a "real" DSLr camera in the kit for portrait work. NEX and m43 can't offer that yet.

I am certain that the NX + 85 is smaller than 5D + 135 and it is an excellent lens for the NX system for those who want to have only this system.

I was only speaking for myself, I still prefer the IQ I get from the 5D by a sizeable margin and don't plan to ditch it soon so portrait and low light stuff still we be done with it... until Samsung gets an IQ monster out...

I don't mind the size of a DSLR, but I have always had a small compact camera beside my DSLR, the NX10 is my present compact.
--
http://lol-photoblog.blogspot.com/

Alexramos
Alexramos Senior Member • Posts: 1,597

The NX won´t be just the "compact mirrorless" from Samsung, it will be its "DSLR system" too.

Just when you look that lens you realize that is a Pro design and not just a "mirrorless compact lens".

That lens has to match with a similar body, an medium-advanced NX camera that include a better EVF, AF system, IQ, control and construction.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads