Ray Soares Veteran Member • Posts: 3,121
D7000 and portraits...

Some of yesterday's photo session w/ a 70-200mm f2.8 VRII:

Regards and an excelent 2011 to all!

-- hide signature --

Ray Soares

See my pictures at http://www.pbase.com/raysoares

Ray Soares's gear list:Ray Soares's gear list
Nikon D7000 Nikon D4 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24mm f/1.4G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 85mm F1.4G +1 more
Valentin Hertz Contributing Member • Posts: 513
Re: D7000 and portraits...

Awesome Man! How many/what speedlights and what lens?

Thanks,
vh

tsitalon1 Contributing Member • Posts: 611

Ray,

I'm not sure if you use LR or not, but what typical Sharpness settings do you use for these types of pics in PP?

OP Ray Soares Veteran Member • Posts: 3,121
Valentin...

No flash. Only a Nikon 70-200 f2.8 VRII!
Best
--
Ray Soares

Nikon D7000 Nikon D4 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24mm f/1.4G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 85mm F1.4G +1 more

tsitalon1 wrote:

Ray,

I'm not sure if you use LR or not, but what typical Sharpness settings do you use for these types of pics in PP?

I shoot raw with PP in NX2 (so I keep the in-camera sharpening of +5 and contrast +1 with ADL to normal).

Later in PP, after all adjustments, I do a subtle highpass sharpening of 2.5 at 70% only in the luminance channel, change to srgb and save at 100% jpeg.

Resize and Unsharp mask at NX2 of 25,2,0 (in 2 steps) for web, final size 1200 pixels longest side.

Best

-- hide signature --

Ray Soares

tsitalon1 Contributing Member • Posts: 611

Ray Soares wrote:

tsitalon1 wrote:

Ray,

I shoot raw with PP in NX2 (so I keep the in-camera sharpening of +5 and contrast +1 with ADL to normal).

Later in PP, after all adjustments, I do a subtle highpass sharpening of 2.5 at 70% only in the luminance channel, change to srgb and save at 100% jpeg.

Resize and Unsharp mask at NX2 of 25,2,0 (in 2 steps) for web, final size 1200 pixels longest side.

Best

Thanks Ray!

Graystar Veteran Member • Posts: 8,373
Way too sharp

Those images are oversharpened.

HobbiesAreFun Senior Member • Posts: 2,457
Re: Way too sharp

Graystar wrote:

Those images are oversharpened.

The second is alright, but the first and third make the woman's skin look awfully grainy and unappealing in general. Soften her skin, remove the circles under her eyes, and you're fine.

-- hide signature --

A Beginning Amateur Photographer

HobbiesAreFun's gear list:HobbiesAreFun's gear list
Nikon D800E Nikon AF-S Nikkor 28-70mm f/2.8 ED-IF Sigma 50-500mm F4.5-6.3 DG OS HSM Nikon AF-Nikkor 80-200mm f/2.8D ED Samyang 14mm F2.8 ED AS IF UMC +3 more
They are sharpened to MY taste...

as I said in other thread.
Actually they are sharpenend to CLIENT's taste!

See any halos? Let me know.They look exactly as I see those people in real life.
That's my style too.

Show me your"beautiful (sarcasm)"portraits so I can compare with my "oversharpened" ones

PS: she WANTED NO makeup and the lowest skin treatment in PP as possible. I dont like fuzzy portraits to hide skin defects and she doesn't too...

Actually (again) she doen't need to hide anything as you probably noticed(sarcasm...)

Best

-- hide signature --

Ray Soares

3dmus Forum Member • Posts: 81
Re: They are sharpened to MY taste...

Same here; I really dislike artificial skin smoothening (aka plastic). These natural looking portraits are outstanding!

Ray Soares wrote:

See any halos?

Yes. In the first pic look at the edges of the nostrils. There are also halos on the eyelashes. So unless she has naturally occurring halos in her face, the image is oversharpened. I doubt that's how she actually looks...I’d bet she looks better.

And if you don't like criticism then don’t post your photos.

Graystar...

ROFL: I should buy new glasses as I CANT see no halos...
As I said: to MY taste.
Best

-- hide signature --

Ray Soares

Manfred Bachmann Senior Member • Posts: 1,068

could it be your monitor is set to default sharpnes.
manfred
--
Pbase supporter, NPS Austria
http://www.pbase.com/manfred_b
http://www.pbase.com/studio96

Manfred Bachmann's gear list:Manfred Bachmann's gear list
Nikon D7200 Sony a7R III Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G Nikon AF Micro-Nikkor 60mm f/2.8D +10 more
Sanjeev Das Senior Member • Posts: 1,359
They look fine to me (NT)

Nothing

Sanjeev Das's gear list:Sanjeev Das's gear list
Sony a7R III Sony a7R IV Voigtlander 15mm F4.5 Super Wide Heliar Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Zeiss Loxia 21mm F2.8 +9 more
Nope.

My monitor has no sharpness adjustment.

Brian Caslis
Brian Caslis Senior Member • Posts: 2,952

Nice Pictures! Look great to me.

Brian Caslis's gear list:Brian Caslis's gear list
Nikon Z9 Nikon 500mm F5.6E PF Nikon Z 50mm F1.8 Nikon Z 24-70mm F2.8 Nikon Z 70-200 F2.8 VR +2 more
winparkman Veteran Member • Posts: 4,638

They are very nice portraits. Quite sharp. I wonder if your subjects find them perhaps a bit unforgiving of dermal flaws? Especially as your subjects get older...

tsitalon1 wrote:

Ray Soares wrote:

tsitalon1 wrote:

Ray,

Best

Thanks Ray!

-- hide signature --

OK, not so purely a hobby.

winparkman's gear list:winparkman's gear list
Fujifilm X100T Nikon D90 Nikon D700 Nikon D7100 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm F4G ED VR +1 more
nelraheb Senior Member • Posts: 1,769
Re: Graystar...

On my monitor they look fine not over sharpened so again it's matter of taste
As far as i am concerned .... Good Job
-------
Nagy
Feel free to critique, pp my pics, post ideas,..etc.

padavid Senior Member • Posts: 1,001

Excellent! Real! I like two and three the best. Just like real life...softer from a distance to sharper as you move closer.

Have a 20 year-old grandaughter, 102 year-old mother-in-law and 95 year-old aunt that prefer their pics just like that.
--
dave

winparkman Veteran Member • Posts: 4,638
Re: Graystar...

I see you answered my concerns. Certainly, this type of portrait has its place and if it is your style, so be it. We all see the world differently and I am glad that cameras lend themselves to so many different styles.

There are no halos here, just stark reality.

Ray Soares wrote:

ROFL: I should buy new glasses as I CANT see no halos...
As I said: to MY taste.
Best

-- hide signature --

OK, not so purely a hobby.

winparkman's gear list:winparkman's gear list
Fujifilm X100T Nikon D90 Nikon D700 Nikon D7100 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm F4G ED VR +1 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads