D7000 + AFS300mm f2.8 VRII + 2x TCIII

Started Dec 27, 2010 | Discussions
Lance B
Lance B Forum Pro • Posts: 34,204
D7000 + AFS300mm f2.8 VRII + 2x TCIII

I managed to get out and get some photos with my D7000 + AFS300mm f2.8 VRII + 2x TCIII today - 900mm focal length when considering the equivalent to FX. Decided to try for some bird shots just to see how well the D7000 performed with this combo and set to Auto ISO set to max ISO3200 and minimum shutter speed of 1/640 or 1/800.

AF worked very well, maybe a tad slower with this combo than the D700, but not much in it in the light that I was shooting in.

Exposure seemed accurate enough, but the lighting was quite difficult and I did ude EV comp at times.

I must say I am quite pleased with the results, but I believe that the D7000 is about a stop behind the D700 at ISO3200. The D7000 will make a great birding camera, I do believe.

Here are a couple of shots of a Kingfisher. A few are cropped. You may see some spots on the photos, but that is just very fine rain.

Parent Kingfisher. Was a little more difficult to get close to than the juveniles. This was cropped about 60% from landscape mode to portrait mode, in other words, I took the central portion top to bottom.

f8, 1/800sec, ISO1000

This was also cropped about 60% from landscape mode to portrait mode.

f8, 1/800sec, ISO1000

This is a swamp hen shot from across the river at about 30-40mts away. Croipped by about 30%.

f8, 1/640sec, ISO1250

These are of a juvenile Kingfisher. Shot from about 7-8 mts away.

f8, 1/1250sec, ISO1000

f8, 1/1250sec, ISO1000

Crop of above photo.

f8, 1/800sec, ISO1000

-- hide signature --
 Lance B's gear list:Lance B's gear list
Nikon Z7 II Nikon Z9 Nikon AF-S Teleconverter TC-17E II Nikon AF-S Teleconverter TC-20E III Nikon AF-S Nikkor 80-400mm f/4.5-5.6G ED VR +19 more
gerryd04 Veteran Member • Posts: 8,123
Re: D7000 + AFS300mm f2.8 VRII + 2x TCIII

Hi Lance, these look pretty good given the conditions and the 2x TC, seems it works pretty well with the lens. With better weather and no TC you should have detail and clarity rivaling the best (given you can get close enough:).

I see you are in Sydney, can I ask what location you took these? I'm not really into birding as such but do dabble now and then, see plenty of kooka's around but as yet no kingfishers around Sydney.

Cheers
Gerry

-- hide signature --

Gerry,
http://gerryd.smugmug.com/ discount code on homepage

'There's a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot.' - Steven Wright

Lance B
OP Lance B Forum Pro • Posts: 34,204

gerryd04 wrote:

Hi Lance, these look pretty good given the conditions and the 2x TC, seems it works pretty well with the lens. With better weather and no TC you should have detail and clarity rivaling the best (given you can get close enough:).

I see you are in Sydney, can I ask what location you took these? I'm not really into birding as such but do dabble now and then, see plenty of kooka's around but as yet no kingfishers around Sydney.

Thank you very much for the kind words, Gerry.

These were taken in the Royal National Park at Audley. Do you live on the soputhside? If so, we could meet up for a shoot if you wish.

Cheers
Gerry

-- hide signature --

Gerry,

'There's a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot.' - Steven Wright

-- hide signature --
Nikon Z7 II Nikon Z9 Nikon AF-S Teleconverter TC-17E II Nikon AF-S Teleconverter TC-20E III Nikon AF-S Nikkor 80-400mm f/4.5-5.6G ED VR +19 more
gerryd04 Veteran Member • Posts: 8,123

Lance B wrote:

gerryd04 wrote:

These were taken in the Royal National Park at Audley. Do you live on the soputhside? If so, we could meet up for a shoot if you wish.

Thats a generous offer, and one I'll take up one day !

I'm North West, and my last few birding attempts were in Sydney Olypic Park at Homebush, a nice spot with a variety of birds that are always available, easy for the part time birder like me

Cheers
Gerry

-- hide signature --

Gerry,

-- hide signature --
-- hide signature --

Gerry,

sphericube Junior Member • Posts: 35

Thank you for the post. Impressive for 900mm !

I have the D7000 with AFS 300 f/4 and I am wondering if aditional TC 1.4x give more details than just a crop in the 16 Mpx.
And I can't use the new TCIII 2x cause Nikon says I'll loose the AF

Lance B

gerryd04 wrote:

Lance B wrote:

gerryd04 wrote:

Thats a generous offer, and one I'll take up one day !

I'm North West, and my last few birding attempts were in Sydney Olypic Park at Homebush, a nice spot with a variety of birds that are always available, easy for the part time birder like me

I know it well. I go there most weekends for a bike ride. Maybe we could meet up there one day.

Cheers
Gerry

-- hide signature --

Gerry,

-- hide signature --
-- hide signature --

Gerry,

-- hide signature --
Lance B

sphericube wrote:

I have the D7000 with AFS 300 f/4 and I am wondering if aditional TC 1.4x give more details than just a crop in the 16 Mpx.

Yopu won't lose AF as I have tried it and it works on my D700, albeit a tad slower to AF.

Examples:

-- hide signature --
sphericube Junior Member • Posts: 35

Lance B wrote:

sphericube wrote:

Yopu won't lose AF as I have tried it and it works on my D700, albeit a tad slower to AF.

Thank you for your feedback.
Indeed good quality, at least with D700.

Jim King
Jim King Veteran Member • Posts: 8,588

Hi Lance! Excellent results from your D7000 - looks like it will be a fine complement to your D700 when you really need all the focal length you can get.

Best wishes for the New Year.
--
Jim King - Retired Colormonger - Suburban Detroit, Michigan, USA; GMT -5h (EST)
Pentaxian for over 45 years.

A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject.

• Sir Winston Churchill

The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits.

• Albert Einstein

Jim King's gear list:Jim King's gear list
Pentax K-3 Leica M10 Pentax MX-1 Fujifilm X30 Sony RX100 VII +138 more
Dave Evans Regular Member • Posts: 234

Great shots Lance, I think I wondered off over here for the same reasons as Jim,

All the best for the new year mate.

justin23 Veteran Member • Posts: 4,347

hehe nice shots Lance. I guess the D7000 gives you no reason to get a K5 then

The d7000 and k5 look to be very good cameras. I'd be interested to hear how often you use the D700 and D7000 and your thoughts on the tradeoffs between the 2.
--
Justin
--------------------------------------------------------
http://www.pentaxphotogallery/justinwatson

justin23's gear list:justin23's gear list
Pentax K-5 Pentax Q Pentax K-3 Pentax smc FA 50mm F1.4 Pentax smc DA 16-45mm F4 ED AL +11 more
BJN
BJN Veteran Member • Posts: 5,119
Jpegs?

Nice sharp images. I don't care for the abrupt transition of the out-of-focus branches to white sky however. I'm betting these are out of camera jpegs and that you'd get smoother transition to the blown out sky working from raw. The extra bit depth helps especially with these bright gradient transitions.

-- hide signature --

BJ Nicholls
SLC, UT

BJN's gear list:BJN's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM5
Hotphotons Contributing Member • Posts: 533
Question

This might be a dumb question but were you using a tripod with these? I think with that kind of long lens you would have to right?

I am asking because your pictures seem a lot sharper than mine:

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1034&message=37310553

Is lens quality a major factor here, I have the consumer grade 70-300mm zoom?

Hotphotons's gear list:Hotphotons's gear list
Nikon D90 Nikon D810 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-105mm F3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED +10 more
Lance B

Jim King wrote:

Hi Lance! Excellent results from your D7000 - looks like it will be a fine complement to your D700 when you really need all the focal length you can get.

Best wishes for the New Year.

Thank you very much, Jim. I am very appreciative of your kind sentiments and I would also like to send you best Wishes for the New Year and I hope your Christmas was a good one.

-- hide signature --

Jim King - Retired Colormonger - Suburban Detroit, Michigan, USA; GMT -5h (EST)
Pentaxian for over 45 years.

A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject.

• Sir Winston Churchill

The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits.

• Albert Einstein

-- hide signature --
Lance B

Dave Evans wrote:

Great shots Lance, I think I wondered off over here for the same reasons as Jim,

All the best for the new year mate.

Thank you also, Dave. I would also like to wish you the best for the New Year and hope you had a nice Christmas.
--
Lance B
http://www.pbase.com/lance_b

Lance B

justin23 wrote:

hehe nice shots Lance. I guess the D7000 gives you no reason to get a K5 then

Thank you very much, Justin.

I was and still am torn whether to get the K-5. I think it might have the edge on the D7000 and I still want to be able to use my wonderful Pentax glass especially now that I have my K-7 up for sale. I may still get the K-5 yet!

The d7000 and k5 look to be very good cameras. I'd be interested to hear how often you use the D700 and D7000 and your thoughts on the tradeoffs between the 2.

So far, I still like my D700 better as it handles a bit better, I think that the overall IQ is a tad bit better and also the high ISO is still a step ahead. Having said that, there is no substitute for the 1.5x crop factor of the D7000 and the ability to crop further. Most of the shots above have been cropped which means that the D700 would have to have been very heavily cropped to get this sort of magnification.

-- hide signature --
Lance B
Re: Jpegs?

BJN wrote:

Nice sharp images. I don't care for the abrupt transition of the out-of-focus branches to white sky however. I'm betting these are out of camera jpegs and that you'd get smoother transition to the blown out sky working from raw. The extra bit depth helps especially with these bright gradient transitions.

No, they were all shot RAW, converted to TIFFs in Capture One Pro 6 and then I put them through a bit of Noiseware Professional.

The abrupt transition of the OOF branches against the sky may be a 2x TC issue or a sensor issue, but I do not know. It might just be the nature of the scene. Having said that, I have found that the 300mm f2.8 VRII + 2x TCIII combo on the D700 gives beautifully smooth images, so who knows.

-- hide signature --

BJ Nicholls
SLC, UT

-- hide signature --
Lance B
Re: Question

Hotphotons wrote:

This might be a dumb question but were you using a tripod with these? I think with that kind of long lens you would have to right?

No, these were all handheld.

I would say that it is the quality of the lens as I was using the 300mm f2.8 VRII and 2x TCIII combo. The 300mm f2.8 VRII is one of Nikons best and the 2x TCIII doesn't degrade the IQ hardly at all.

This is not to say that the 70-300 is bad, as it not bad at all and an excellent consumer zoom, but you cannot compare it to a prime prop grade lens that costs about US$6,000.

-- hide signature --
Hotphotons Contributing Member • Posts: 533

Lance B wrote:

Hotphotons wrote:

I would say that it is the quality of the lens as I was using the 300mm f2.8 VRII and 2x TCIII combo. The 300mm f2.8 VRII is one of Nikons best and the 2x TCIII doesn't degrade the IQ hardly at all.

This is not to say that the 70-300 is bad, as it not bad at all and an excellent consumer zoom, but you cannot compare it to a prime prop grade lens that costs about US$6,000.

Thanks for the reply Lance I had a feeling that was the answer but wasn't sure.

I really like your pictures.

Hotphotons's gear list:Hotphotons's gear list
Nikon D90 Nikon D810 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-105mm F3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED +10 more
Lance B

Hotphotons wrote:

Lance B wrote:

Hotphotons wrote:

This is not to say that the 70-300 is bad, as it not bad at all and an excellent consumer zoom, but you cannot compare it to a prime pro grade lens that costs about US$6,000.

Thanks for the reply Lance I had a feeling that was the answer but wasn't sure.

I really like your pictures.

Thanks again. Much appreciated.

-- hide signature --
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads