all K5's in the world useless under artificial light in respect or AUTO FOCUS ?

Started Dec 25, 2010 | Discussions
hexar Contributing Member • Posts: 858
all K5's in the world useless under artificial light in respect or AUTO FOCUS ?

I have been "zapping" around the internet and found that the Auto Focus of the k5 is faulty under artificial light. Anyone of you can with a different experience ?
My K5 has the issue also but I hoped it would be examplary.
In the PENTAXFORUMS.COM K5 there is a long thread about the issue.

amicah22 Senior Member • Posts: 1,320
Re: all K5's in the world useless under artificial light in respect or AUTO FOCUS ?

your last ten posts were about this issue. just sell or return the darn thing if your so unhappy.

edit: all of your posts are about this. mix it up a bit or you will look like a troll.
--
Aaron W.

amicah22's gear list:amicah22's gear list
Canon PowerShot S95 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS1 Pentax Optio S5i Pentax Optio A30 +17 more
Stefan Carey
Stefan Carey Contributing Member • Posts: 812
With a post title with the words "all useless" one has to wonder...

Why did you use such an inflammatory title in your post?

Could you please explain why you chose these words?

Intrigued.

hexar wrote:

I have been "zapping" around the internet and found that the Auto Focus of the k5 is faulty under artificial light. Anyone of you can with a different experience ?

-- hide signature --

'Art is not for the cultivated taste. It is to cultivate taste.' (Nikki Giovanni)

http://www.stefancarey.zenfolio.com

Stefan Carey's gear list:Stefan Carey's gear list
Pentax Optio WG-2
Ari Aikomus
Ari Aikomus Veteran Member • Posts: 9,560
Because she is a tro...

Uh - because she is very likely some sort of happy troll ?!

Stefan Carey wrote:

Could you please explain why you chose these words?

-- hide signature --

• Ari Aikomus -

'Why should I feel lonely ? is not our planet in the Milky way?'

Ari Aikomus's gear list:Ari Aikomus's gear list
Sony a7R II Pentax K-1 Sony a5100 Panasonic GH5 Fujifilm X-A5
Jeff Charles Veteran Member • Posts: 7,514
Re: With a post title with the words "all useless" one has to wonder...

Stefan Carey wrote:

The title was inflammatory, for sure, and that is not useful, but the problem does appear to be real. I haven't bought a K-5 yet, so I'm keeping my eye on this and other K-5 "birthing pains", which I assume Pentax will address in the months to come. A statement from them acknowledging the problem and promising to fix it would be reassuring.
--
Jeff

My cat, who likes to sprawl on my keyboard, is responsible for all typos, misspellings, factual errors, and faulty logic in my posts.

Jeff Charles's gear list:Jeff Charles's gear list
Sony RX100 III Fujifilm X100T Fujifilm X-E2 Olympus E-M1 Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS +5 more
tdwesbo
tdwesbo Senior Member • Posts: 2,166
Re: all K5's in the world useless under artificial light in respect or AUTO FOCUS ?

Sadly, this is not limited to the K-5. My K1000 will not autofocus under artificial light either. Tungsten, CFLs, metal halide are all the same. It refuses to focus.

I have found Pentax USA to be no help at all. When I called the support line, the tech didn't seem to understand the issue at all.

tdwesbo's gear list:tdwesbo's gear list
Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm X-H1 Fujifilm X-T4 7artisans 25mm F1.8 Fujifilm XF 27mm F2.8 +5 more
dgaies Regular Member • Posts: 290
Troll

Enough already.

You're a troll. Leave.

EDIT: To everyone else, there may very well be an issue with the K-5 and AF under artificial light. That issue should be discussed and determined. However, the OP is constantly confrontational about the issue and his/her behavior is that of a troll at this point.

Roland Karlsson Forum Pro • Posts: 29,593
Re: Give it a break!

Yes - the OP has sent several posts on this issue.

But ... if its real .. it might be understandable .. and maybe also a good thing.

If its real ... we want it fixed ... dont we?

If its real ... we want to know it ... dont we?

If its not real ... we want to know that also ... dont we?

-- hide signature --

Roland

support http://www.openraw.org/
(Sleeping - so the need to support it is even higher)

X3F tools : http://www.proxel.se/x3f.html

Roland Karlsson's gear list:Roland Karlsson's gear list
Sony RX100 III Sigma DP3 Merrill Sigma dp2 Quattro Pentax K-3 Pentax K-1 +14 more
dgaies Regular Member • Posts: 290
Re: Give it a break!

Roland Karlsson wrote:

Yes - the OP has sent several posts on this issue.

But ... if its real .. it might be understandable .. and maybe also a good thing.

If its real ... we want it fixed ... dont we?

If its real ... we want to know it ... dont we?

If its not real ... we want to know that also ... dont we?

Absolutely.

I have no doubt there is an issue that needs to be address. Enough people are having issues ,and under certain circumstances I can recreate the issue as well. I'm not doubting the issue nor the need for the issue to be addressed. I think a discussion about the issue is helpful and hopefully through that discussion everyone can figure out the specifics of the issues.

That said, I stand by my statement that the OP is a troll who is more interested in confrontation than anything else. He/she has posted multiple threads on the topic and has specifically been rude to both myself and others in previous threads (on PF specifically). As far as I'm concerned there is a constructive way to discuss a problem and a less than constructive way to do it. My personal opinion is that the OP has chosen the latter and is acting like a troll at the moment.

(unknown member) Senior Member • Posts: 2,137

hexar wrote:

Anyone of you can with a different experience ?

Did a quick test of mine with the 77mm limited @ f2 under 2700K lighting. Distance to subject was about 2.5 feet and the AF was spot on.

If any lens was gonna give a problem I thought it would be this one. Maybe I'm just lucky? :shrugs: Well maybe not that lucky cos I do have the stained sensor.

bazz.
--
Zooms? pfffft!

snostorm Senior Member • Posts: 2,044

hexar wrote:

Hi hexar,

I've played with my FA 50/1.4 under tungsten, standard compact fluorescents, and daylight compact fluorescents, and found no consistent focusing errors. I've always found this lens is a challenge to AF, and sometimes have to refocus, but the AF system gets it right more often than not.

My K-5 also focuses fine with my F 50/1.7 and all of my f2.8 zooms and primes in the above named lighting sources.

However, I must say that I have always seemed to have a problem with AF test charts, and the results they seemed to show never correlate with my real life results, so I just don't do AF test charts anymore, and have been a much happier shooter ever since. . .

Scott

snostorm's gear list:snostorm's gear list
Pentax K-3 Pentax K-1
Twong Contributing Member • Posts: 849
May be all you need is AF adjustment ....

Jeff Charles wrote:

Stefan Carey wrote:

The title was inflammatory, for sure, and that is not useful, but the problem does appear to be real. I haven't bought a K-5 yet, so I'm keeping my eye on this and other K-5 "birthing pains", which I assume Pentax will address in the months to come. A statement from them acknowledging the problem and promising to fix it would be reassuring.
--
Jeff

I initially thought that my K5 also suffered from the same AF issue, but it turned out it needed AF adjustment. After calibration, it has absolutely no AF issue under any lighting condition. This photo was taken with very mixed light.

Twong's gear list:Twong's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PM2 Pentax K-3 II Sigma 8-16mm F4.5-5.6 DC HSM Pentax smc DA* 50-135mm F2.8 ED (IF) SDM Samyang 14mm F2.8 ED AS IF UMC +18 more
aplucini Senior Member • Posts: 1,896
I must be the luckiest K-5 owner in the world

Well... if ALL K-5s in the world have this problem then I must be the luckiest K-5 owner in the world. I haven't seen any focusing problems under tungsten lighting so far. Maybe I should go buy a lottery ticket.
--
Allan in Colorado, USA

aplucini's gear list:aplucini's gear list
Canon EOS 6D Canon EOS 60D Pentax K-x Pentax K-5 Pentax K-3 +16 more
Robert L Jones Regular Member • Posts: 362
Re: May be all you need is AF adjustment ....

My K5 has no problems focusing under all different types of lights. I think it is an extraordinarily good camera.

joannegrrl
joannegrrl Contributing Member • Posts: 707
I'll join you

I've had it focus accurately with almost no light doing a film noir style shot. The only light was a tiny bit of flourescent lighting coming through a door frame a ways away. The K20 would have hopelessly failed, I would have manually focussed with the camera on a tripod, but I was able to shoot without the tripod using the K-5 and so got far more angles than I would have otherwise.

joannegrrl's gear list:joannegrrl's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon D850 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm F4G ED VR Nikon 85mm F1.8G Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 105mm F2.8G IF-ED VR +2 more
solarider Veteran Member • Posts: 4,887
regurgitate again, wash rinse repeat, emphasis on repeat

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1036&message=37232186

I noticed this over at PF the other day - may be of some informational use?
" #19 (permalink)
Pentaxeros

Hi, I'm an admin for Pentaxeros.com, Pentax forum in Spanish, and a photography shop specializing in Pentax.

Long ago, a study that reports to Pentax focus on the problems under tungsten light.
Explore more than 25 units of K-5, and all respond the same way.

The conditions are as follows, and the Front Focus is produced is always the same under these conditions.
Lighting conditions are:
1 / 10 ISO 3200 f: 2.8 and light Tunsgeno

Under similar exposure parameters, tungsten light, there is a front focus that can be corrected at the option of micro adjustment with an adjustment of -10

However, under the same light intensity, but with natural light, the focus is perfect.

The problem is further accentuated with screw-focused lenses. SDM lenses I have not detected.

The study was carried out under controlled conditions tested, the K-7, K-5 and Kr
The K-7 always well focused, the approach was slow, but accurate.
The K-5 and Kr under tungsten light always had a focus of -10 Front

The error report it to Pentax, together with all the serial numbers analyzed, and RAW Pentax shots taken and I have been informed that work to fix it through firmware.

I hope I have shed light on the subject, plus I also know that will be solved soon.
Best Regards ...
Original post in Spanish"
http://bit.ly/h4N5Ym

hexar wrote:

-- hide signature --

“At any given moment, there is a sort of all pervading orthodoxy, a general tacit
agreement not to discuss large and uncomfortable facts… Anyone who
challenges the prevailing orthodoxy finds himself silenced with surprising
effectiveness.” - George Orwell

Pentax_Prime
Pentax_Prime Senior Member • Posts: 2,505
Me Three!

No sensor 'stain', no focusing issues in low/light or tungsten light (beyond what needed to be corrected by simple AF adjustment), and all the kinks I could find got ironed out by the firmware update. Not saying someone isn't having an issue - but I'm darn pleased with my camera.

-Andy

aplucini wrote:

Well... if ALL K-5s in the world have this problem then I must be the luckiest K-5 owner in the world. I haven't seen any focusing problems under tungsten lighting so far. Maybe I should go buy a lottery ticket.
--
Allan in Colorado, USA

-- hide signature --

My Website
http://www.andrewallenphoto.com

My Pentax Street Gallery - Arranged By Lens Used
http://photobucket.com/andy_allen

Pentax_Prime's gear list:Pentax_Prime's gear list
Pentax K-5
John Glover
John Glover Veteran Member • Posts: 3,499

It is more widespread than that, all of my M series cameras also refuse to Af under artificial lights, and I've tried both the MX and Me Super!

-- hide signature --

John Glover
WSSA #141PX

John Glover's gear list:John Glover's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DC-ZS70 Panasonic LX100 Olympus E-M1 II Olympus E-M5 II Panasonic Lumix DC-GX9 +15 more
DaleDrechsler Contributing Member • Posts: 710

Mine focuses fine with pentax 55-300 and sigma 105mm Macro. So I don't think it's all cameras (if any).

Cheers
--

Dale

Gmbal Regular Member • Posts: 274

Check out this video for a short but clear demonstration of the problem (found the link on the other forum)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d2W5gwTtLqc&feature=player_embedded

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads