Photoshop CS5 - Can actions be modified??

Started Dec 24, 2010 | Discussions
Ralph Ramirez Veteran Member • Posts: 7,056
Photoshop CS5 - Can actions be modified??

I created an action to simply take some Nef images, edit several of them in ACR, open them in CS5 change any image that needs further editing, then "save as" jpeg in a specific library and close the file without saving the changes to the Nef file. Works fine but now I want to run it again but perform all the saves into a different folder. I have searched on the web and here in Dprev but cannot find a current answer. One method was mentioned but that was in 2004 so I am hoping I can get an answer here. To clarify, I don't want to use automate because I end up making changes in CS5 before running the action which is designed to save one image at a time. That allows me to make any changes if necessary because I am synchronizing my changes for multiple images in ACR which works for most of the images but not all. Hope this makes sense.

Thanks.............Ralph

JJMacks
JJMacks Forum Pro • Posts: 10,457
Re: Photoshop CS5 - Can actions be modified??

Ralf

Yes actions can be edit/modified the Action Palette is a full fledge action editor. Often you better off not doing the save in the action itself but use the image processor or automate Batch to run you action. These can do the save for you athe image processor script can resample resize and save. Can even process images you have open in Photoshop where you made other changes.

Download my crafting actions package I think if you read the text files you may learn some things.

http://www.mouseprints.net/old/dpr/JJMacksCraftingActions.zip
Contains:
Action Actions Palette Tips.txt
Action Creation Guidelines.txt
Action Dealing with Image Size.txt
Action Enhanced via Scripted Photoshop Functions.txt
CraftedActions.atn Sample Action set includes an example Watermarking action

Sample Actions.txt Photoshop CraftedActions set saved as a text file. This file has some additional comments I inserted describing how the actions work.
12 Scripts for actions

My other Photoshop Packages can be found here: http://www.mouseprints.net/Photoshop.html
--
JJMack

JJMacks's gear list:JJMacks's gear list
Canon EOS-1D Mark II Canon EOS-1D Mark IV Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS USM Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM +3 more
OP Ralph Ramirez Veteran Member • Posts: 7,056

Thank you JJMacks, I will download your crafting package and check out your other actions (I have 2-3 of your actions, thank you).

Have a Merry Christmas....................Ralph

Yes actions can be edit/modified the Action Palette is a full fledge action editor. Often you better off not doing the save in the action itself but use the image processor or automate Batch to run you action. These can do the save for you athe image processor script can resample resize and save. Can even process images you have open in Photoshop where you made other changes.

Download my crafting actions package I think if you read the text files you may learn some things.

Contains:

Sample Actions.txt Photoshop CraftedActions set saved as a text file. This file has some additional comments I inserted describing how the actions work.
12 Scripts for actions

My other Photoshop Packages can be found here: http://www.mouseprints.net/Photoshop.html
--
JJMack

OP Ralph Ramirez Veteran Member • Posts: 7,056

Downloaded your zip file and read the text on actions and quickly found my answer.

Thanks again...............Ralph

Jeff Schewe Regular Member • Posts: 423

The simple answer to the original question is yes, individual action steps can be edited...make sure the sate required by the step is active and double click on the individual step to re-record the step. In the case of a Save As make sure the image is dirty (in an unsaved state) and double click the Save As step and re-choose the Save options and directory path...

-- hide signature --

Regards,
Jeff Schewe

Uridavid New Member • Posts: 1

Good staff, 10X,

I could not find the way to edit the text that is in the action. if i double click it insert the text. i didn't find the script in the Adobe folder.

let's say i inserted "Uri David" watermark text and i want to change it to "Uri David 2012"
how can i do this?

thank you in advance

JJMacks wrote:

Ralf

Contains:

12 Scripts for actions

--
JJMack

JJMacks
JJMacks Forum Pro • Posts: 10,457

Uridavid wrote:

Good staff, 10X,

I could not find the way to edit the text that is in the action. if i double click it insert the text. i didn't find the script in the Adobe folder.

let's say i inserted "Uri David" watermark text and i want to change it to "Uri David 2012"
how can i do this?

With a document opened on Photoshop edit the action step that inserts the text. In the Action Palette expand the action fully so you can see and read all the steps in the action. Find the step that inserts the text like make text layer and highlight it then use the Actions Palette Fly-out menu and click on record again. You should then be in the text tool with the text recorded being shown but not committed. Edit the text and then commit the text tool. This should change that step. Highlight the action set and save the action set using the actions palette fly-out menu item save action

-- hide signature --

JJMack

JJMacks's gear list:JJMacks's gear list
Canon EOS-1D Mark II Canon EOS-1D Mark IV Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS USM Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM +3 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads