Started Dec 20, 2010 | Discussions
Ed B
Ed B Veteran Member • Posts: 9,486
Yes, read this
Mark B. Forum Pro • Posts: 24,677
Re: Yes, read this

Ed B wrote:

http://www.xoticpc.com/laptop-manufacturers-really-makes-laptops-ip-11.html

Contraray to what the article states, it's no secret that manufacturers contract with factories to build their wares. This isn't unique to computers.

So where exactly does it state that Dell laptops are made in the USA?

Ed B
Ed B Veteran Member • Posts: 9,486

Mark B. wrote:

Ed B wrote:

Contraray to what the article states, it's no secret that manufacturers contract with factories to build their wares. This isn't unique to computers.

I think you misunderstood my post.

Dell laptops are not made in the U.S.
This post was asking pm gaddis to read this information.

OP nbercasio Senior Member • Posts: 2,498
Re: Made in China MANFROTTOs

"Dell to Invest $250 Billion in China over the Next 10 Years"

http://www.penn-olson.com/2010/12/22/dell-china/ but who the heck is Penn Olson?

Mark B. wrote:

pm gaddis wrote:

Dell laptops are made in the usa
--
peace

Seems you are mistaken:

http://www.statesman.com/business/content/business/stories/technology/2009/10/08/1008Dell.html

-- hide signature --

Life is good!

Little Pooter Contributing Member • Posts: 644

I'm on both sides of the fence here. I recently sold my Italian made Manfrotto tripod and bought a Chinese made carbon Horus Bennu. I couldn't be happier. I get a lighter (1/3 the weight), brand new well made tripod for less money than I got for the used Manfrotto. The workmanship, the head, the leg clamps, all seem better than the Manfrotto. It really is an exceptional product.

My race Mountain Bike frame is also made in Chine, its a Carbon monocoque full suspension frame, leading edge technology, and openly manufactured in China. The company (Ibis) is open and transparent about the manufacturing. The bike is flawless and amazing.

There has been some recent contoversy in the Swiss watch industry, when it became apparent that many of the parts used in swiss watches were sourced in China. This forced the Swiss watch industry to change the way they qualified "swiss made", but still leaves the dorr open for a large percentage of Chinese sourced parts. The watches are still excellent and do not suffer from the Chinese content.

I also have a pair of Patagonia hiking boots, which I was disappointed to see were made in China... but the quality is outstanding, the fit extremely comfortable and overall, after 2 years, I would rate them up there with the best Italian boots I've owned.

But i have a 2 yr old daughter, and quite frankly, I'm afraid of toys made in China.
--
Sony A55, A580, HDR-SR12, T100

Lenses: SAL70400G, Sigma18-250 OS HSM, Sigma 18-50 OS HSM, Maxxum 50mm 1.7, Lensbaby Composer

MusicDoctorDJ Forum Pro • Posts: 12,400

nbercasio wrote:

I am sure Made in China will improve in the long run like how Japan did it. Few decades ago, Made in Taiwan was like Made in China but they improved their products a lot.

I wouldn't be so sure of that . . .

I think China has already seen their hay day and companies are already moving on to other countries in their quest for even cheaper labor costs.

One day those jobs will probably find their way back to the US, where we will be considered 'cheap labor'!
--
J. D.
Colorado

aus4ever
aus4ever Forum Pro • Posts: 10,545
Still a long way to go

Ed B wrote:

China is thriving and on the brink of being one of the richest countries in the world.

150 million are still living below the poverty line.

http://www.un.org/apps/news/story.asp?Cr1=&NewsID=36097&Cr=CHINA

-- hide signature --

Australia, home forever.

aus4ever's gear list:aus4ever's gear list
Nikon D700 Nikon D750 Nikon AF Nikkor 85mm f/1.4D Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 105mm F2.8G IF-ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR +11 more
mamallama
mamallama Forum Pro • Posts: 53,917

nbercasio wrote:
http://www.nytimes.com/2007/06/19/business/worldbusiness/19toys.html

"Over all, the number of products made in China that are being recalled in the United States by the federal Consumer Product Safety Commission has doubled in the last five years, driving the total number of recalls in the country to 467 last year, an annual record.

It also means that China today is responsible for about 60 percent of all product recalls, compared with 36 percent in 2000."

Article was published in 2007 so I thought it would have improved by then but it just got worst. Heard about the Chinese made drywalls?

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB125564911387588795.html

shaocaholica wrote:

The cheapness of products nowdays has less to do with the country they are made/assembled in and more to do with the company cutting corners.

You can make something crappy in Germany, Japan etc if you wanted to.

Yes indeed. It's more about companies going to the lowers bidder without regards to quality and safety. Cheap toy companies fit that description exactly.

Conscientious and quality companies, like Apple and HP and Canon and many others, outsource many things to China without problems.

But China is a favorite whipping boy whenever a recall affects China and the US gets a pass. Yes, US products have safety recalls too.

-- hide signature --

mamallama

mamallama's gear list:mamallama's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85 +1 more
mamallama
Yes, but....

aus4ever wrote:

Ed B wrote:

China is thriving and on the brink of being one of the richest countries in the world.

That's better than in the US. Only 11.5% of China's population of 1.3 billion live in poverty. In the US, 14.3% of the population of 0.3 billion live in poverty. And unfortunately the trend shows the US getting worst. Fortunately for China, it's getting better.

-- hide signature --

mamallama

aus4ever
aus4ever Forum Pro • Posts: 10,545
Re: Yes, but....

mamallama wrote:

aus4ever wrote:

Ed B wrote:

That's better than in the US. Only 11.5% of China's population of 1.3 billion live in poverty. In the US, 14.3% of the population of 0.3 billion live in poverty. And unfortunately the trend shows the US getting worst. Fortunately for China, it's getting better.

14.3% of 0.310964 billion is 44.47 million. China's poor is still 3.37 times more than the US. But I do agree that all in all, things are getting better.

-- hide signature --

Australia, home forever.

aus4ever's gear list:aus4ever's gear list
Nikon D700 Nikon D750 Nikon AF Nikkor 85mm f/1.4D Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 105mm F2.8G IF-ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR +11 more
jeffcpix Senior Member • Posts: 1,707

If everything is made in China, where will the wages of
the consumers in the rest of the world come from to buy the Chinese made
products?

Can an economy based solely on the 'service sector' survive?

Or should a country sell it's natural resources to the highest bidder until they
are totally depleted? And then what?

Protectionist tactics to insure the stability of vital national resources and
a sustainable level of industrial capacity should not be ignored lest
we find ourselves vassal states.

Which should we be more concerned about, raising the standards of living

of the developing world or making sure we don't 'give away the store' and find ourselves impoverished by debt (sound familiar)?

China and India will do to the US and Europe exactly what the US did to
England and Europe over the past 150 years: out-sell them, out-buy them
and out-produce them. It remains to be seen whether the result will
be the largest environmental catastrophe in industrial history.

People seem to forget the a few thousand years ago, China and India

were on the cutting edge. Civilzation seems to move from East to West -- inexhorably.
Perhaps in 3011, Western Civilization will be back in the Dark Ages and
Chindian will be the lingua franca.

john Senior Member • Posts: 1,620

personally I have no problems on where it made of, do you still think that all the tripod are produced by hand and measured by human eye? today all the tripod are mass produced by machine, it is no difference if it produced in usa, or china or even in mars, if you even visited these factory, they produces thousand of tripod in one hour.

john Senior Member • Posts: 1,620

Ed B wrote:

Mark B. wrote:

Ed B wrote:

hey my Mac II fx was made in usa but that was 20 years ago.

Mark B. Forum Pro • Posts: 24,677

Ed B wrote:

Mark B. wrote:

Ed B wrote:

Oops, sorry about that - would have helped if I had gone back and looked at who was posting what.

JulesJ
JulesJ Forum Pro • Posts: 45,529

This was in 2006, it's nothing new
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/motoring/2741257/Frattini-finds-fake-Ferrari.html
Jules

-- hide signature --

Julesarnia on twitter

JulesJ

Are you sure about that?
Jules

john wrote:
if you even visited these factory, they produces thousand of tripod in one hour.

-- hide signature --

Julesarnia on twitter

MusicDoctorDJ Forum Pro • Posts: 12,400

john wrote:

personally I have no problems on where it made of, do you still think that all the tripod are produced by hand and measured by human eye? today all the tripod are mass produced by machine, it is no difference if it produced in usa, or china or even in mars, if you even visited these factory, they produces thousand of tripod in one hour.

Somehow I doubt they are making thousands of tripods per hour as there aren't that many being sold on a daily basis world wide.

Just like with film cameras . . .

Many think that Nikon is still running a factory churning out F6 film bodies on a daily basis, when in fact they haven't made one in over five years.

Sure they are still available, since they made a boatload of them to last for as long as people may still want to buy a film camera.

Looks like they'll have a stockpile of them for a long long time.

-- hide signature --

J. D.
Colorado

JulesJ

Never mind the facts, just write something that sound good.
Jules

MusicDoctorDJ wrote:

john wrote:

Somehow I doubt they are making thousands of tripods per hour as there aren't that many being sold on a daily basis world wide.

Just like with film cameras . . .

Many think that Nikon is still running a factory churning out F6 film bodies on a daily basis, when in fact they haven't made one in over five years.

Sure they are still available, since they made a boatload of them to last for as long as people may still want to buy a film camera.

Looks like they'll have a stockpile of them for a long long time.

-- hide signature --

Julesarnia on twitter

mamallama

aus4ever wrote:

mamallama wrote:

aus4ever wrote:

Ed B wrote:

14.3% of 0.310964 billion is 44.47 million. China's poor is still 3.37 times more than the US. But I do agree that all in all, things are getting better.

Given that we are talking about the great United States of America, that 44.47 million number is frightening. And to be comparing the USA to a vast country that had mass starvation - millions starving and dying in the streets - less than 60 years ago is saying a lot about China and the United States.

What's really scary is that the distribution of wealth in the USA is getting worst - the rich is getting richer and the poor is getting poorer. And worst even yet is that there are many in the US Government who are intent on keeping it that way. How sad.

-- hide signature --

mamallama

henryp
henryp Veteran Member • Posts: 6,882

In the February, 2000 issue, Popular Photography's Herbert Keppler wrote

"...the Japanese have maintained near-fanatical tight control over their 'offshore' production facilities and it's worked ... Having visited many Japanese factories ...as well as off-shore plants, I can report that quality is uniform no matter where the products are made. The last words? Buy the brand and model that suits your priorities, that fits your budget, that includes the features you need or want and leave the choice of where it's been put together to the people you've already decided to trust -- the designers and managers of the company producing the model you're after. Then go out and enjoy using it."

-- hide signature --

Henry Posner
B&H Photo-Video

henryp's gear list:henryp's gear list
Nikon D5000 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-105mm F3.5-5.6G ED VR +1 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads