K-X - Faulty Battery Life Indicator - How Do I Check Filmware Installed?

Started Dec 16, 2010 | Discussions
sewart Regular Member • Posts: 169
K-X - Faulty Battery Life Indicator - How Do I Check Filmware Installed?

Hi there, I'd read that the above camera has problems showing correct battery life.

I've just bought the K-x today and wondered how do I check what firmware is installed as I believe others have had to download V.01 or similar?

If I need to install this can anyone give me step by step instructions. This is my first digital slr and I'm not very pc.

Steph

Fl_Gulfer Senior Member • Posts: 1,181
Re: K-X - Faulty Battery Life Indicator - How Do I Check Filmware Installed?

Hold finger on MENU button and turn on the camera
--
Cameras & Lenses listed in Plan.

Fl_Gulfer's gear list:Fl_Gulfer's gear list
Pentax K100D Pentax K-5 Pentax K-30 Pentax smc DA 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 AL Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM +4 more
OP sewart Regular Member • Posts: 169

Thank you

I've now established my camera is V1.00. I need to install firmware V1.01.

Can anyone help with step by step instructions?

Steph

Liwei Sheng Regular Member • Posts: 316

It does not make much difference for me. I think the K-x just not designed to use Nimh battery(low voltage). A hacked CRV3 is much much better. Maybe you want to consider NiZn too, they do not need to be hacked. It works like battery should, not like Nimh in K-x, it handle 20 minute before showing battery depleted symbol, but can still continue to shoot 90 minutes video. I do mind the low battery symbol, because I know the SR related blur happens in low battery condition much more.

Thanks for your reply but still looking to get V1.01 on my camera somehow?

Bullwhip Regular Member • Posts: 269

Done. thank you. Does anyone know how to get the firmware off my memory card now?? I've put it in the side of my laptop but I don't know to find the drive? I've tried looking at the removable storage devices but it isn't there?

RjM76 Forum Member • Posts: 71

Just put the card back in the camera and format it from within the camera. That should get you back to shooting

RjM76's gear list:RjM76's gear list
Pentax K-1 Pentax FA 28-105mm F3.5-5.6
turner5078 Forum Member • Posts: 77

Don't know why your computer will not recognise the mem card. Is the Firmware update on your card? If not, plug the card in and just search under 'removeable drives' etc on the computer. If this doesn't work, try another card.

I'm sure if you persevere you will find it and simply format the card, then copy the firmware update to it, I used 'drag and drop' and this worked fine, but the card must be formatted first!

Put it into the camera, turn it on and it will update itself automatically. I found it improved the camera's stability perfectly. Even better if you set it to Nimh rechargeables in the battery selection (menu). The issues I encountered ended!

Good luck.

Jim 4278 New Member • Posts: 7

I got one last week and had to do the firmware update. You can check the current firmware by holding the menu button while turning the camera on. If it is 1.0, you need to download the firmware. The Pentax site has the instructions and download. That said, I still get incorrect battery reading sometimes. Otherwise, a great camera.

Hi guys. I've got V1.01, thanks for all your help. Don't think my laptop's internal memory card reader is working as it isn't recognising the memory card now but I've managed to do what I wanted to do. Oh, and I've changed battery in 'menu' to NIMH. Thanks.

Thanks Jim. It's one heckuva learning curve for me. Struggling to download images from camera to Pentax's Utility 4's software. It's working but only if I select the folders 1st. Had hoped it woudl be smart enough if I selected Steph's Picture's folder to always drop the images there!

Jim 4278 New Member • Posts: 7

I haven't bothered to plug the camera into the computer. I just pop the SD card out and put it in a card reader.

Can you recommend a card reader? My internal laptop reader doesn't seem to be working right.

Also I know I need two filters for the two lenses - anyone recommend make and type to buy.

If anyone has the perfect bag for the Pentax K-x and two lenses please reply with the make and model as I'm gonna need one. Thanks.

Steph

Kp0c Regular Member • Posts: 353

It depends what type of bag you like to use/carry. I use a lowepro slingshot 100aw that I sorta like. It's light and hold my K-x plus a few lenses in, and still is pretty small. I am not in love with the bag, but it's still a good one and it has served me well.

Kp0c's gear list:Kp0c's gear list
Pentax K-5 II Pentax smc DA 15mm F4 ED AL Limited Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM Pentax smc DA* 50-135mm F2.8 ED (IF) SDM Pentax smc DA 55-300mm F4.0-5.8 ED +8 more

Thanks for that, I'll take a look at the bag.

Raphael Mabo Senior Member • Posts: 1,164

Could it be so that you have a SDHC card and the reader in your laptop is SD only?
--
Take care
Raphael
http://www.flickr.com/photos/raphaelmabo/

Raphael Mabo Senior Member • Posts: 1,164

To understand the battery indicator better, it might be helpful to know this...
Green - charge is 90 - 100%
Orange - charge is 10 - 90%
Red - charge is 0 - 10%.

There are those that replace battery on orange, believing orange means battery is near dead. This is not the case. You don't have to replace battery until it goes down to red.

Also note that it is common for AA NiHms batteries to drop in charge after heavy usage and then gain charge when the batteries has rested for a while. This typical behavior of AA batteries is often interpreted as the battery indicator is faulty, but the battery indicator simply truthfully shows the status on the batteries here and if batteries goes orange to read and then back to orange again, then the indicator would be faulty if it isn't showed this reality.

Also note that when you use the camera in the cold, use manual selection of battery type instead of Auto. This is recommended by the camera manual.

I use Hähnel Synergy and has no problems with the batteries in my K-x.

-- hide signature --
KRG1953
KRG1953 Regular Member • Posts: 269

It depends on which format your memory card is. I have a K-x too and the cards I use are 8 Gb . When i tried to read the cards in my Pc for the first time things went wrong.

I discovered that the cards bigger than 4 Gb are using SDHC format . So an older PC card reader will not read them because they are adressed in anonther format than the standard FAT.

So may be the problems occur because of the capacity of your sd cards. Try a 2 Gb ore 4 Gb to read in your PC first. Then you know what causes the problem.

You have to use an external reader capable of reading the bigger cards then.

KRG1953's gear list:KRG1953's gear list
Pentax K-S2 Pentax K-x Pentax smc DA 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 ED AL II (IF) Pentax smc DA 50-200mm F4-5.6 ED Pentax smc DA 55-300mm F4.0-5.8 ED +3 more

Thanks guys. Your assistance is really appreciated.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads