"lock" shutter speed and aperture?

Started Dec 14, 2010 | Discussions
SDshooter New Member • Posts: 10
"lock" shutter speed and aperture?

While discussing our D3 and D700 gear last night, a colleague voiced a problem that he's having. He keeps inadvertently bumping and changing his shutter speed and/or his aperture when he shoots in Manual mode. I've noticed this too - usually when I accidentally bump up to 1/320 and eventually notice the black bar where I've exceeded the flash synch. He pointed out the lock to prevent you from moving your focus point (which never really seems to be a problem), but it doesn't help hold your other settings. Anyone else have this issue?

Wm

-- hide signature --

William Morton
San Diego, CA
Member ASMP, PPA, EP, WPPI, NAPP

SDshooter's gear list:SDshooter's gear list
Pentax 645Z Nikon D750 Nikon Z6
rb stevens Junior Member • Posts: 42
Re: "lock" shutter speed and aperture?

My D300 does not have a lock. The front dial (aperture adjust) is the one I usually accidently hit. I avoid this by putting a small piece of gaffer tape over it after I have it dialed in.

Marianne Oelund Veteran Member • Posts: 7,788
D3 has shutter speed and aperture locks

SDshooter wrote:

While discussing our D3 and D700 gear last night, a colleague voiced a problem that he's having. He keeps inadvertently bumping and changing his shutter speed and/or his aperture when he shoots in Manual mode.

That's what the "L" button above the D3's release-mode dial is for. Hold it down and turn the main command dial to lock/unlock shutter speed, or turn the sub-command dial to lock/unlock aperture. The top LCD will show an "L" icon next to the locked setting.

Note that only the user-controllable parameter(s) can be locked, thus when in manual mode, you can lock either, but in aperture-priority, for example, you can only lock aperture.

I'm not aware of this feature being on the D700, but could be mistaken since I do not own one.

Denis Van der Staey
Denis Van der Staey Regular Member • Posts: 417
Re:

The D3 has a Lock button on top left:
Press "L" button and turn main command dial to lock shutter speed.
Press "L" button and turn sub-command dial to lock aperture.

The locks are indicated with a small "L" before the time and/or the aperture on the top display.
See manual pg. 19.

I think the D700 doesn't have this feature.

Edit: wow Marianne, you beat me...!

-- hide signature --

Denis

Denis Van der Staey's gear list:Denis Van der Staey's gear list
Sigma 135mm F1.8 Art
sillyconguru Veteran Member • Posts: 3,057

SDshooter wrote:

I've noticed this too - usually when I accidentally bump up to 1/320 and eventually notice the black bar where I've exceeded the flash synch.

Doesn't the D700 have a x250 (or whatever you've pre-specified the flash sync speed to be) just 'next' to the bulb setting on the shutter speed dial? If you inadvertently move the dial you should notice sooner as the viewfinder will blackout for as long as your finger is pressed on the shutter release button (this might only be 1/2 a second but it is noticeable).

sillyconguru's gear list:sillyconguru's gear list
Canon ELPH 100 HS Pentax Optio I-10 Casio QV-5500SX Fujifilm FinePix X100 Fujifilm X20 +54 more
Deepak D Forum Member • Posts: 85

AF-L
AE / AF Lock

Pressing this button locks the current exposure and focus, in its default mode both AE and AF remain locked as long as you hold the button. CSM f7 allows you to change the function of this button with a range of AE / AF hold / lock options as well as other camera functions (such as metering, bracketing etc.)

Reading the manual has a cost

Denis Van der Staey wrote:

See manual pg. 19.

Edit: wow Marianne, you beat me...!

If you hadn't taken the time to look up the manual reference, you might have posted your response first.

Big Ga Forum Pro • Posts: 18,625
Re: D3 has shutter speed and aperture locks

Marianne Oelund wrote:

I'm not aware of this feature being on the D700, but could be mistaken since I do not own one.

you can do it. But its in the menu somewhere. No easy body button presses as far as I know.

areaderct01 Regular Member • Posts: 321

You can lock easily on D700 but you need to go to custom menu settings to enable or disable it. In A mode, you can lock Aperture. In S mode, you can lock shutter speed, for example.

D700 lock controls

SDshooter wrote:

While discussing our D3 and D700 gear last night, a colleague voiced a problem that he's having. He keeps inadvertently bumping and changing his shutter speed and/or his aperture when he shoots in Manual mode.

There are a couple of options on the D700 (information courtesy of DPReview's D700 review):

1. Use CSM f5 or f6 to assign the lock control to the FUNC or Preview button. I presume this will make the FUNC or Preview button act like the "L" button on the D3. This is convenient if you need to turn the lock on and off frequently.

2. Use CSM f8 to directly control shutter speed or aperture lock. This requires many more button-presses to access, so may not be convenient when you need to quickly unlock/adjust/relock.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads