(Good)News form Pentax Spain about the stains, and explanationof the problem

Started Dec 13, 2010 | Discussions
Jorgechu New Member • Posts: 20
(Good)News form Pentax Spain about the stains, and explanationof the problem

First of all, this is my first post in pentax forums...i was in panasonic forums...but K5 have change this! i'm receiving mine this week..:-). So glad to meet you.

This is from Pentaxeros forum. It's like the spanish pentaxforums. The webmaster is the owner of the web shop too, with the distributors in Spain. This is information right for the manufacturer to the spanish distributor.

http://www.pentaxeros.com/forum/index.php?topic=39324.15

Several things that they say here:

1-) Pentax declares that the problem is in the construction of the glass covering the sensor. It´s not something between the filter and the sensor, but a defect in the glass.

2-) They change, at least in Spain (and i think that in Europe too) all the cameras affected with no delay, just send and receive back, with no cost for the owner (I suppose no post cost...)

3-) As Pentax knows the problem, they are checking all their stock, and from now only sending good ones.

4-) the problem IS, or ISN´T. Pentax declares that once they know that the problem is in a defect of the construction of the glass, it's not something that can change with time, as sometimes we have supossed, due to heat or oil, or something like that.

At least this is what distributor in Spain says:

"Bueno, lo primero comentar, que desde hace un par de dias que se ha detectado el problema, se han tomado medidas a fin de que no ocurra.

Me informan desde Pentax España, que es un problema que afecta a pocas unidades, y que aquellas que tengan el problema serán sustituidas rapidamente en garantia sin ningún coste para el cliente.

Tambien me informan que están revisando todas las maquinas en que tienen en stock una a una, a fin de quitar todas aquellas que tengan este problema.

El problema como me informa el tecnico de Pentax, es que se trata de un defecto en el vidrio que cubre el sensor.

Aqui en España, Reflecta, Pentax España, reemplazara sin ningún problema aquellas cámaras que presenten dicho problema."

Translation (sorry for my grammar...:-)

"First of all, since the problem was detected two days ago, meassures have been taken in order not to happen again(...)Those units with the problem are going to be change quickly with no cost for customer.

They say to me that they are checking all the cameras in stock one by one, so not to send any other with the defect.

The problem, a Pentax Spain technical says, is a defect in the glass covering the sensor.

Here in Spain, Reflecta (Pentax Spain), is changing with no doubt all the cameras with the problem."

In the discution after, they afirm what i say about the problem IS or ISN't. If you've got a good one, problem is not coming with time. And Pentax Spain says that the firmaware for the issue with AF in low tungsten light will be ready in just days.

Hope this help you!
regards!
Jorge

A Schamber Senior Member • Posts: 1,068
Great News!

This issue was driving me crazy when looking for something interesting in the forums
Thank God this is over.
--
Alan Schamber

Progress is not possible without deviation from the norm - Frank Zappa

solarider Veteran Member • Posts: 4,902
Re: (Good)News form Pentax Spain about the stains, and explanationof the problem

Jorge,

Thank you for taking the time and effort to clarify this. Well done my friend.

Simple and to the point - glass over the sensor has a defect in some units.

Oh yes thanks for the info on the upcoming FW.

Kind Regards,

Nic
--

“At any given moment, there is a sort of all pervading orthodoxy, a general tacit
agreement not to discuss large and uncomfortable facts… Anyone who
challenges the prevailing orthodoxy finds himself silenced with surprising
effectiveness.” - George Orwell

zakaria
zakaria Veteran Member • Posts: 6,058
Re: (Good)News form Pentax Spain about the stains, and explanationof the problem

welcome a forum.sure it is Good news .my local store/a also told me that they confirmed the problem to pentax japan which acknowledged the issue but they said it is only with the early items and all new items are stains free . may be it is better to wait a month or more to gain the spotless one.
my PPG
http://www.pentaxphotogallery.com/zakariamohie
my flickr
http://www.flickr.com/photos/kimkoy/
k200+some lenses

zakaria's gear list:zakaria's gear list
Pentax K-1 II Fujifilm X-H1 Nikon D780 Fujifilm X-T3 HD Pentax DA 15mm F4 ED AL Limited +8 more
OP Jorgechu New Member • Posts: 20
About the new firmware

Thanks to you! exactly. They say the problem is a defect in SOME units in the glass covering the sensor

by the way, this is exactly what they say about the firmware:

"Aprovecho para decir que hoy mismo me han comunicado en en breve vendra una actualización para terminar de resolver algunos de esos problemas de software, es decir el FF en AF bajo luz de tunsgeno de muy baja intensidad y Pixeles brillantes en video bajo determinadas situaciones."

"by the way, I've been said today (by pentax) than soon it is coming an update to resolve some software problems, AF whith low intensity tungsten light, and brilliant pixels in video in some moments."

Ari Aikomus
Ari Aikomus Veteran Member • Posts: 9,619
Thanx Jorge for good news, and interesting info!!..nt
-- hide signature --

• Ari Aikomus -

'Why should I feel lonely ? is not our planet in the Milky way?'

Ari Aikomus's gear list:Ari Aikomus's gear list
Sony a7R II Pentax K-1 Sony a5100 Panasonic GH5 Fujifilm X-A5
CFHodge Contributing Member • Posts: 545

Good news indeed. The money has been burning a hole in my pocket.
If they can guarantee a stain free sensor I'm in.

brecklundin Senior Member • Posts: 1,995

Very good news indeed. I have to say so far Pentax has handled this very nicely now that someone from Pentax even if it is not Pentax Japan, at least has come forward to announce the issue and how it will be handled. Not much more you can ask for, and yeah there is still the whole issue of distribution but by now Pentax should have the production lines running more efficiently and producing more bodies on a daily basis.

It's weird, this was an issue I did not feel Pentax was negligent in, yup the part is defective but really, I am sure they do not have any sort of senor to look at the glass plates during the assembly process as they whir along to their destination in the sensor assembly. At some point they simply have to trust the supplier of the components.

Funny though that the problem is down to one of the most basic of parts in the body, what amounts to the sort of "glass slide" you use in a microscope. Granted this is high quality optical grade glass but still it is one of the most trivial and basic parts in the body.

Hey, it could have been worse, the issue could have been something that could get worse over time. I mean here Pentax looks to have produced almost an ideal APS-C body (almost until they add TETHERING DANG IT!! :p) and Pentax shooters get smacked with a product defect...at some point Pentax shooters might just sit in the corner and babble and drool, especially those who have had the bad luck with an SDM lense or six...

Great though everyone can get back to taking pics and worry less about Pentax's Cone-of-Silence. Now all we need is for Ned to officially announce "the plan" in the US.

-- hide signature --

Real men shoot Pentax because we were born with our own Canons!!
{Ok...ok, some of use just shoot with a PnS but it always makes me happy! :D}

Beligerent commenters are just afflicted with SFmS (Stud Field Mouse Syndrome)

viking79
viking79 Forum Pro • Posts: 14,157
Re: About the new firmware

Jorgechu wrote:

Thanks to you! exactly. They say the problem is a defect in SOME units in the glass covering the sensor

by the way, this is exactly what they say about the firmware:

"Aprovecho para decir que hoy mismo me han comunicado en en breve vendra una actualización para terminar de resolver algunos de esos problemas de software, es decir el FF en AF bajo luz de tunsgeno de muy baja intensidad y Pixeles brillantes en video bajo determinadas situaciones."

"by the way, I've been said today (by pentax) than soon it is coming an update to resolve some software problems, AF whith low intensity tungsten light, and brilliant pixels in video in some moments."

This would be good. I had issues with AF in low intensity tungsten light. I had to have different focus adjustments depending on if it were tungsten or fluorescent. Given the + on SAFOX was supposed to compensate for this I was a bit annoyed. I had this issue on my K-7 as well and was hoping the K-5 would be better, but it wasn't.

Eric
--
I never saw an ugly thing in my life: for let the form of an object
be what it may - light, shade, and perspective will always make it
beautiful. - John Constable (quote)

See my Blog at: http://viking79.blogspot.com/ (Weekly)
Flickr Photostream: http://www.flickr.com/photos/28177041@N03/ (updated daily)
See my PPG Shots: http://www.pentaxphotogallery.com/erictastad (8/31/09)

viking79's gear list:viking79's gear list
Sony a7R Samsung NX1 Samsung NX 30mm F2 Pancake Samsung NX 85mm F1.4 ED SSA Samsung NX 60mm F2.8 Macro ED OIS SSA +5 more
awaldram
awaldram Forum Pro • Posts: 13,271

Be interesting if 'P' mode external flash gets the 'secret' fix in this firmware
--
My PPG

http://www.pentaxphotogallery.com/home#section=ARTIST&subSection=1471087&subSubSection=0&language=EN
My Photo Stream
http://www.flickr.com/photos/awaldram/

awaldram's gear list:awaldram's gear list
Pentax Q Pentax K-3 Pentax Q7 Pentax K-x Olympus PEN E-PM2 +17 more
narddogg81 Senior Member • Posts: 1,030

This makes much more senses than the idea that it is dirt or oil introduced at some point in the manufacturing process. I doubt that anything changing in the process between k7 and k7, so its not reasonably to think that all the sudden the factory is filthy with dust getting everywhere its not supposed to. Also, this sort of thing would be hard to catch before hand because its only really visible under magnification, and up to this point they have had no reason to check for this problem. Good to know. Im confident that when i get my k5 in a few months this will all be a slightly disagreeably memory
--
My PPG

http://www.pentaxphotogallery.com/home#section=ARTIST&subSection=7472316&subSubSection=0&language=EN

Gerry Winterbourne Forum Pro • Posts: 19,063

Thanks Jorge and welcome here. It's great that your first post should have such good news for us.

-- hide signature --

Gerry

First camera 1953, first Pentax 1983, first DSLR 2006
http://www.pbase.com/gerrywinterbourne

SmutjeUK Junior Member • Posts: 43

Great news all way round. I got stains that are even visible in Sunrise pictures and clearly been seen in A4 and A3 prints.

If they sort out now the 'overburn' issue with the flash (I use a Pentax AF 360 FGZ and it ALWAYS selects in pTTL the highest possible ISO and fires with more light than is needed. I have to compensate by limiting the camera to ISO 100 and 2 steps down or I have images that are far to bright and even in RAW are difficult to post compensate. But this may be isolated incidents and once you know how to combat this its a lesser problem and more an annoyance).

The 'bounce issue should be looked at as well. Update the SDHC Cards to the new SDXC Card and I am happy.

Other than that I am more then happy with my K-5 and already know that I will get a replacement (not a repair) from SRS here in the UK with a loan K-7 whilst I wait.

tcom Veteran Member • Posts: 7,504
 tcom's gear list:tcom's gear list
Ricoh GR III Sony a9 II Fujifilm GFX 100 Fujifilm GFX 100S Nikon Z9 +9 more
Luis Fonseca Regular Member • Posts: 432
Great News form Pentax Portugal (I hope)

Thanks for the info.

Since Pentax Portugal is Reflecta in Barcelona, I hope that this applies to Portugal too.

I just wander if I buy a camera from Pixmania I get warranty from Reflecta/Pentax Spain.

Have fun,
Luis

Luis Fonseca's gear list:Luis Fonseca's gear list
Pentax K-5 Sony Alpha NEX-3N Pentax K-1 Canon EOS RP Pentax smc DA 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 AL WR +14 more
(unknown member) Forum Pro • Posts: 19,317

hi eric i have not found this problem with k7 just shot 900 images for dance school concert under varying light conditions and had no problems at all with sigma 24 60 2.8 at f 4.5 nailed focus all night. even in near dark from 20 to 60 ft at all focal lengths.

cheers don

glanglois Contributing Member • Posts: 987
Tiny bubbles .......

No, it's not time for Don Ho. I'm not sure it was ever time for Don Ho and I used to lurk around the International Market Place.

Back to basics:

It seems as if those things in the images that looked like small bubbles are .... small bubbles.

I expect that there are thousands of Pentaxians who had that same thought but deferred to others re: oil, dust, no-longer-dark matter, detritus from the celebratory champagne, giant bacteria from competitors, etc.

I can now reveal with complete confidence that I thought they looked like bubbles. Good timing, no?

Best news in a week. Thanks for posting!

glanglois's gear list:glanglois's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ300
pcarfan Veteran Member • Posts: 3,948

Jorge,

Thank you very much for this.....
--

[url= http://www.pentaxphotogallery.com/home#section=ARTIST&subSection=2323984&subSubSection=0&language=EN]MY PPG[ url]
K10D, K-7

Pentax: DA15/4, DA21/3.2, FA31/1.8, FA43/1.9, FA77/1.8, F135/2.8, FA*28-70/2.8, FA*80-200/2.8
Sigma Zooms: Sigma 100-300 F4

'Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming... 'Wow! What a ride!'

Manchu Regular Member • Posts: 212

Great to know. Thanks, Jorge for your trouble. Was it an announcement from the distributor in Spain, or was it really the official announcement from Pentax? If so, why not annouce it to all other countries?

locke_fc Senior Member • Posts: 1,273

This is not an official anouncement by Pentax, but probably as good as. The source is the guy who runs the Pentaxeros forum and online shop in Spain. He's the one who was shooting the K5 in that first video from a few months back which showed the improvement in AF-C performance.

The guy is a pro Pentax shooter and obviously has a very close relationship with Reflecta, the Pentax distributor in Spain.

According to this same source, the new firmware will definitely solve the AF problems in low light (which, incidentally, I have with all my lenses; no stains visible at f22 though), and should be released pretty soon.

Manchu wrote:

Great to know. Thanks, Jorge for your trouble. Was it an announcement from the distributor in Spain, or was it really the official announcement from Pentax? If so, why not annouce it to all other countries?

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads