D7000: The secret to great colors

Started Dec 12, 2010 | Discussions
Swedish Hambern Contributing Member • Posts: 751
D7000: The secret to great colors

I think I've found the secret to great colors with this camera. This is a jpg straight out of the camera, nothing what so ever has been done, other than resizing. This is the settings:

• Active D-Lighting: High

• Base: Neutral

• Sharpness: 4

• Contrast: +1

• Brightness: 0

• Saturation: +1

• Hue: 0

• Exposure Compensation: 0

• Metering: Matrix

The Active D-Lighting is a fantastic feature. Thank you Nikon for this! But it's only useful if you set it before you take the picture. Try it, you'll love it. But if you add the D-Lighting afterwards it just looks awful. Don't do that.

JohnnyB2 Regular Member • Posts: 265
Re: D7000: The secret to great colors

I agree with you about Neutral +1 Sat for the color when photographing people. I can't seem to get good skin tones with Standard.

jpdenk
jpdenk Contributing Member • Posts: 819

Very nice shot. I'm glad that you've got things worked out to give the results that you want, but one size does not fit all. I shoot nature stuff primarily and have learned that the D-Lighting is not my friend for that kind of shooting, I've had some pretty weird results due to that feature, so I have it shut off when shooting nature stuff.

John
--

http://picasaweb.google.com/jpdenk60477/SomeOfMyFavoriteNatureShots?authkey=aXn0zLtxA1g#

winparkman Veteran Member • Posts: 4,638

So, you prefer shooting JPG and allowing the camera to do your post-processing. It is no wonder you have concerns about color.

Very cute child, though.

Swedish Hambern wrote:

I think I've found the secret to great colors with this camera. This is a jpg straight out of the camera, nothing what so ever has been done, other than resizing. This is the settings:

The Active D-Lighting is a fantastic feature. Thank you Nikon for this! But it's only useful if you set it before you take the picture. Try it, you'll love it. But if you add the D-Lighting afterwards it just looks awful. Don't do that.

-- hide signature --

OK, not so purely a hobby.

winparkman's gear list:winparkman's gear list
Fujifilm X100T Nikon D90 Nikon D700 Nikon D7100 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm F4G ED VR +1 more
OP Swedish Hambern Contributing Member • Posts: 751

I actully prefer shooting Raw and doing the postprod in Lightroom. But for now the pictures looks really wierd in Lightroom.

winparkman wrote:

So, you prefer shooting JPG and allowing the camera to do your post-processing. It is no wonder you have concerns about color.

Very cute child, though.

Swedish Hambern wrote:

songeun7 Contributing Member • Posts: 610

Thank you for posting. I took a with pictures with your settings and I like it alot. I've been using SD with more sharpness but I like yours better. I set sharpness to 6 though.

songeun7's gear list:songeun7's gear list
Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Canon G7 X II Ricoh GR IIIx Sony a9 Sony FE 35mm F2.8 +2 more
WhiskeyBeforeBreakfast Senior Member • Posts: 1,321
Beautiful.

Nicely done.

songeun7 Contributing Member • Posts: 610
Re: Beautiful.

Just curious, did you try alot of different combinations? I spent alot of time but it was hard to pick one combination because it seems the color changes all the time depending on the situations; lighting condition,indoor/outdoor, lens,subjects,etc. Again, thank you for sharing.

songeun7's gear list:songeun7's gear list
Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Canon G7 X II Ricoh GR IIIx Sony a9 Sony FE 35mm F2.8 +2 more
jonikon Veteran Member • Posts: 7,381

JohnnyB2 wrote:

I agree with you about Neutral +1 Sat for the color when photographing people. I can't seem to get good skin tones with Standard.

Interesting. That is what I use as well! for the most natural skin tones.
-
Best regards,
Jon

chiue
chiue Veteran Member • Posts: 9,880

What WB setting you used?

IMO, the WB is a bit off to the cool side. The picture was a nice captured, however the skin tone was too pale.
BTW, the kid is really cute.

-- hide signature --

chiue -
Nikon D5000 / Kodak P880 DX7590 Z915 DX6440 V803 C190
Kodak Digital Cameras Galleries
http://www.wix.com/chiuestar/Kodak-DC

chiue's gear list:chiue's gear list
Kodak EasyShare C875 Kodak DX6440 Kodak DX7590 Kodak EasyShare P880 Kodak EasyShare V803 +6 more
Re: Beautiful.

I've also experimentet quite a lot. I've had troubles getting good gradients from this Camera, especially in the skin tones. But it seems like the best option is to go for either Neutral, +1 Contrast and Saturation or a similar setting but with the Portrait base. Then it's actually pretty close to what i like.

And to control the highlights and the overexposure that tends to wash out the colors the Active D-Lighting has been a nice surprise coming from the D70 that lacked this feature (But had a wonderful Matrix metering system and colors).

So I think I've found my walk-around-setting now. Maybe I could raise the Sharpness just a tad. I will look into that. But if you are getting unnatural skin tones, overexposed and washed out colors... try these settings.

I used the normal Auto White Balance. And I know it may be a bit cold, but I like it cold. And yes, the skin is a bit pale, but she's a blonde swede, the paleness might be genetic And yes, she's the cutest

chiue wrote:

What WB setting you used?

IMO, the WB is a bit off to the cool side. The picture was a nice captured, however the skin tone was too pale.
BTW, the kid is really cute.

Millyons Regular Member • Posts: 173

i have been using basicly same setting forever on my D90 apart for sharpnes at 5, that was untill new view nx came out with new color rendering. since then i used the same but dropped the brightness to minus 1 and i like the profile even better now

i found this combination to have really good balance of gradients, color, dynamic range while not looking flat, and i tested alot of combinations even stuff like landscape with minus on both saturation and contrast. From in camera setup one thing that people might assume but it is wrong that profiles relate to each other, they dont. It seems they use different curves from each other, not just sharpness, contrast and saturation settings.

what i did was choose couple hundered nefs and converted them to jpegs with different profiles (i forget but i think there was close to 20 different profiles) then would just keep deleting ones i didn't like, most of the time at the end i was left with only couple versions of the pic while for some pics it was only one version left. Finnaly i reviewed which profile was left the most and it was the one we are mentioning by huge amount compared to others, it was actualy only missing on few pics, as in less then 10 out of 200ish. What is more important all the pics that only had 1 version left, in each instance it was this profile. Only other one that was left in a good amount was same settings but based on portrait.

(i dont know if i need to put up a disclaimer that this is something that appealed to my eyes and im in no way saying that this is "one profile to rule them all" for everyone)

edit, one more difference then the OP is that i dont use active D Light at all, allways OFF

digitography Contributing Member • Posts: 616

Everything seems spot on to me and it demonstrates that the jpegs right out of the camera are quite outstanding.

I have udes Neutral with +1 saturation and found some of my subjects with reddish hair we not quite accurate. I find that the Portrait mode and no additional saturation to work pretty good.

Maybe try it and do a side by side?

Polyglot92 Senior Member • Posts: 1,469
Re: D7000: The secret to great colors?

Swedish Hambern wrote:

And I always thought the key to great color was geat white balance - stupid me.

Did you get lucky with this one or are you confident that your settings will consistently give you great color OOC Jpegs in all lighting situations?

-- hide signature --

D5000 - Nikkor AF-S DX 18-105mm F/3.5-5.6G ED VR - Nikkor AF-S 50mm f/1.4 G
Canon PowerShot S3

White balance is important but not enough. And no... This was a really difficult environment with quite harsh highlights and deep shadows, and also quite dark. That's why I'm happy the result turned out pretty good. And that is why i felt i needed that High A-DL. In other circumstances I might have gotten away with just normal or low A-DL. But for every day use i think this is the best setting for me. Maybe a bit more sharpness.

Polyglot92 wrote:

Swedish Hambern wrote:

Did you get lucky with this one or are you confident that your settings will consistently give you great color OOC Jpegs in all lighting situations?

Polyglot92 Senior Member • Posts: 1,469

Swedish Hambern wrote:

White balance is important but not enough. And no... This was a really difficult environment with quite harsh highlights and deep shadows, and also quite dark. That's why I'm happy the result turned out pretty good. And that is why i felt i needed that High A-DL. In other circumstances I might have gotten away with just normal or low A-DL. But for every day use i think this is the best setting for me. Maybe a bit more sharpness.

Polyglot92 wrote:

Swedish Hambern wrote:

Probably something like "High ADL works great on the D7000" would have been a better title for what you wanted to share. Unless you have confirmed that those same settings, with Automatic WB, produce the same pleasing resultsb (or best results) in direct sunlight and with various color temperatures in artificial light. The left part of the face and hand seems to indicate that this is not certain.
--
D5000 - Nikkor AF-S DX 18-105mm F/3.5-5.6G ED VR - Nikkor AF-S 50mm f/1.4 G
Canon PowerShot S3

I tried dropping Brightness to -1 and it does actually look even better I believe. Thank you!

Millyons wrote:

i have been using basicly same setting forever on my D90 apart for sharpnes at 5, that was untill new view nx came out with new color rendering. since then i used the same but dropped the brightness to minus 1 and i like the profile even better now

i found this combination to have really good balance of gradients, color, dynamic range while not looking flat, and i tested alot of combinations even stuff like landscape with minus on both saturation and contrast. From in camera setup one thing that people might assume but it is wrong that profiles relate to each other, they dont. It seems they use different curves from each other, not just sharpness, contrast and saturation settings.

what i did was choose couple hundered nefs and converted them to jpegs with different profiles (i forget but i think there was close to 20 different profiles) then would just keep deleting ones i didn't like, most of the time at the end i was left with only couple versions of the pic while for some pics it was only one version left. Finnaly i reviewed which profile was left the most and it was the one we are mentioning by huge amount compared to others, it was actualy only missing on few pics, as in less then 10 out of 200ish. What is more important all the pics that only had 1 version left, in each instance it was this profile. Only other one that was left in a good amount was same settings but based on portrait.

(i dont know if i need to put up a disclaimer that this is something that appealed to my eyes and im in no way saying that this is "one profile to rule them all" for everyone)

edit, one more difference then the OP is that i dont use active D Light at all, allways OFF

Mannypr Veteran Member • Posts: 3,363

JohnnyB2 wrote:

I agree with both of you. For skin tones standard which was used by me for quite some time did not give me as good of skin tones then neutral has. I now have my D90 on neutral most of the time.

Mannypr's gear list:Mannypr's gear list
Canon PowerShot A640 Nikon D90 Nikon D7000 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G II Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-105mm F3.5-5.6G ED VR +8 more
hos Regular Member • Posts: 494
Re: D7000: The secret to great colors putting hue down !

nice thread to follow since I'm also looking for the right settings which deliver me good jpgs straight away. (with the fuji s5 the jpgs were always great)

since I shoot parties and concerts in the weekends and have a fulltime job besides I don't have time to spend hours in lightroom so I shoot NEF and JPG. I will start lr if I really need a big print or if the picture is really screwed up by highlights.

When doing some test shots I also noticed that putting the hue down as low as possible results in an increase in colors. it becomes softer but the range of colors becomes bigger for the eye.

so with additional contrast +1 and saturation +1 it is a quite promising start

but still no way close to fuji jpgs, hope I have a model this week to make a good comparison with skintones

I will try next time neutral on people, I noticed that I liked standard quite well

kind regards
arthur

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads