Scanner Recommendations - Looking at 3 Epsons

Started Dec 8, 2010 | Discussions
bmcent1 Contributing Member • Posts: 857
Scanner Recommendations - Looking at 3 Epsons

Hello -

I've been using an Epson Perfection 1200 Photo for... probably a decade or longer now. It's still chugging away, but is has a strange rattle and sometimes takes too long to warm up (and then Photoshop / Twain time out.)

I'm looking to replace this flat bed scanner with a new one but not spend a lot of money. It's handy when I need it, but that's not very often.

I still own an Nikon Super Cool Scan 4000 ED but I use it so rarely it's not even connected to the computer.

• I'm looking for a scanner that's faster than my current 1200. I suspect any USB 2.0 device no days would be.

• Equal or better IQ scanning documents and the occasional print

• MAYBE a slide scanning / transparency feature if it works reasonably close to the IQ of the Cool Scan 4000.

I still have boxes of slides that I "someday" will scan, but between the jams in the slide loader of the Cool Scan 4000, and the amount of work needed to make scanned slides look acceptable (color shift, focus, dust, etc.) I've never been excited about that project. If I could scan 4 slides at a time with decent performance on the newer Epson flat beds, I might just pick favorites and chew away at that project on slow days.

I'm considering these three Epson flat bed scanners:

EPSON Perfection 4490 ... $150
EPSON Perfection V30 ... $90
EPSON Perfection V300 ... $140

You can see the price range I'm interested in. The V30 is LED based which says instant start up (no warm up), but it also has no transparency option I can tell.

Is the transparency option on either of the others worth the extra price? If their transparency functions aren't up to the Cool Scan 4000 I may just be better off going for the cheapest and hanging on to my Cool Scan in case I ever tackle the old slides.

Any other scanners I should be looking at?

NewsyL
NewsyL Veteran Member • Posts: 5,716
Re: Scanner Recommendations - Looking at 3 Epsons

bmcent1 wrote:

Canon 9000F

Epson V600

I'm about to pull the trigger on one of these. Locally I have found the Canon at $199 CAD and the Epson at $219 CAD. I currently own an Epson 1250 and am having issues similar to yours - I have a family project I've been putting off for 4 years where I have a number old B&W glossies and 300 or so Kodak Kodachrome slides. Various family are having health issues so I gotta get to it.

I'm leaning to the V600 due its' version of Digital ICE is usable on prints, not just film.

Reviews > http://www.imaging-resource.com/SCAN1.HTM

You may be interested in this recent discussion:
http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1018&message=36934964

-- hide signature --
 NewsyL's gear list:NewsyL's gear list
Panasonic ZS100 Sony SLT-A77 +1 more
bronxbombers Forum Pro • Posts: 18,226

The Nikon Coolscan 9000 ED has an ICE system that works with K64 and it also doesn't over emphasize scratches/dust/grain as much as the 4000 did (nor does it have the nasty flaring where super bright next to super dark flares well into the dark areas like the V does as well as many others possibly the 4000 too). If you use silverfast (which even allows IE8 profiling targets) or perhaps even the less expensive vuescan with it then you get K64 slides with normal colors without any fuss at all (they also allow double exposure so you get the dynamic range of 8x and maybe even 16x multi-sampling for the speed cost of only about 3x multi-sampling).

Of course that is a pretty big expense. I'm currently scanning old K64's in. Yeah, even with the ICE doing a decent job and the color balance pre-set automatically very well it's still a long process. I originally thought 2-3 months but to do all the slides and negatives I'm now thinking 3-4 years....

Although wet mounting in the 9000 gives even better results still (just about perfect) I really can't see doing that, maybe at the end for a handful or two. It might be more like 12-15 years hah otherwise or more likely I would never even bother getting around to it.

Coolscan V (and probably most of the other models) flare (K64):

coolscan 9000:

scanners with direct lighting really over-emphasize grain/dirt/bubbles/scratches here is the V (K64):

compared to diffused lighting of the 9000 which still overemphasizes that when used stock as dry mount, only wet mounting 100% gets your around that, but it's much less:

bmcent1 wrote:

Hello -

I've been using an Epson Perfection 1200 Photo for... probably a decade or longer now. It's still chugging away, but is has a strange rattle and sometimes takes too long to warm up (and then Photoshop / Twain time out.)

I'm looking to replace this flat bed scanner with a new one but not spend a lot of money. It's handy when I need it, but that's not very often.

I still own an Nikon Super Cool Scan 4000 ED but I use it so rarely it's not even connected to the computer.

• I'm looking for a scanner that's faster than my current 1200. I suspect any USB 2.0 device no days would be.

• Equal or better IQ scanning documents and the occasional print

• MAYBE a slide scanning / transparency feature if it works reasonably close to the IQ of the Cool Scan 4000.

I still have boxes of slides that I "someday" will scan, but between the jams in the slide loader of the Cool Scan 4000, and the amount of work needed to make scanned slides look acceptable (color shift, focus, dust, etc.) I've never been excited about that project. If I could scan 4 slides at a time with decent performance on the newer Epson flat beds, I might just pick favorites and chew away at that project on slow days.

I'm considering these three Epson flat bed scanners:

EPSON Perfection 4490 ... $150
EPSON Perfection V30 ... $90
EPSON Perfection V300 ... $140

You can see the price range I'm interested in. The V30 is LED based which says instant start up (no warm up), but it also has no transparency option I can tell.

Is the transparency option on either of the others worth the extra price? If their transparency functions aren't up to the Cool Scan 4000 I may just be better off going for the cheapest and hanging on to my Cool Scan in case I ever tackle the old slides.

some 9000 samples using ICE on K64, 100% crops:

(since uploading those I found settings that give a better sharpness/grain ratio, so those samples are not 100% ideal)

here are some full-images downsized (K64):

Skipper494 Forum Pro • Posts: 11,196

V600

OP bmcent1 Contributing Member • Posts: 857

Very impressive results! Anybody would have to love that machine. However, it's in a totally different ballpark from what I'm looking at.

I'm looking into the V600 now.

bmcent1 wrote:

Very impressive results! Anybody would have to love that machine. However, it's in a totally different ballpark from what I'm looking at.

I'm looking into the V600 now.

yeah the price is kinda crazy but i figured if i devote three years of my life to the task hah i better do it right to begin with (well not going 100% right as that would entail the wet mount kit, but, as I said, dont wanna spend 30 years on it!)

any best of luck with whatever you decide, i dont know anything about the ones you asked about, sorry

Jeff in Va Regular Member • Posts: 116

Got a V600 a month ago and it works quite well. Software is fairly flexible in the professional mode. Dust on slides is biggest problem. I use 3M 658 Post-it Labeling and Cover-Up Tape to remove dust by pressing it on both sides of the slide and removing.
--
Jeff now retired

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads