Best book on CS5 - recommendations

Started Dec 7, 2010 | Discussions
davidevans1 Senior Member • Posts: 1,521
Best book on CS5 - recommendations

Which is the best reference book on CS5 - any recommendations please?
By best I mean most instructive, well indexed, and not padded out!

I have Victoria Bampton's 'Lightroom 3 - The Missing FAQ', and something similar covering CS5 would be the ideal (I bought this book after reading recommendations here).

It needs to be a book rather than DVD, as I'm very deaf and can only follow DVDs with subtitles, which don't seem to exist in photographic reference DVDs or downloads, as far as I've seen. But if I've missed something with subtitles let me know please!

Ideally a paper book (without the pages falling out, as seems to be the main complaint on Amazon reviews!), but PDF also considered.
Thanks in advance for advice.
--
David

davidevans1's gear list:davidevans1's gear list
Sony Alpha a7R II Sony FE 24-70mm F2.8 GM Sony FE 70-200mm F2.8 GM OSS Sony FE 16-35mm F2.8
Sam B
Sam B Veteran Member • Posts: 6,024
Re: Best book on CS5 - recommendations

Take a look at these Photoshop CS5 courses at Lynda.com.

They all (the CS5 courses) are closed captioned.

-- hide signature --
 Sam B's gear list:Sam B's gear list
Apple iPhone X
Gary Coombs
Gary Coombs Veteran Member • Posts: 4,227
Martin Evening - Adobe Photoshop CS5 for Photographers

Martin Evening - Adobe Photoshop CS5 for Photographers is considered the most complete reference available.

Scott Kelby - The Adobe Photoshop CS5 Book for Digital Photographers is considered one of the best cookbook style books for quick how-to's for the most common tasks.

I own both, and recommend them both for the reasons outlined above.

-- hide signature --

Gary Coombs, W9VJ
http://GaryCoombs.com
My Profile Plan contains my Equipment List

A good photograph is knowing where to stand. -Ansel Adams

Gary Coombs's gear list:Gary Coombs's gear list
Sony RX100 III Sony RX10 III +4 more
OP davidevans1 Senior Member • Posts: 1,521

Sam
Thats great thank you. I had no idea these existed with closed captioned text.
--
David

Sony Alpha a7R II Sony FE 24-70mm F2.8 GM Sony FE 70-200mm F2.8 GM OSS Sony FE 16-35mm F2.8
OP davidevans1 Senior Member • Posts: 1,521
Re: Martin Evening - Adobe Photoshop CS5 for Photographers

Thanks Gary, in particular for the indication of the stye in which they are set out.

-- hide signature --

David

MMS Photo
MMS Photo Contributing Member • Posts: 848
Re: Martin Evening - Adobe Photoshop CS5 for Photographers

Gary Coombs wrote:

Martin Evening - Adobe Photoshop CS5 for Photographers is considered the most complete reference available.

+1 for Martin Evening. I have his works for Lr2 and Lr3 and CS3 as well.

If the subject interests you, I heartily recommend "Photoshop CS5 for Nature Photographers: A Workshop in a Book" by Ellen and Josh Anon.
Michael

-- hide signature --

MMS | Photography @ http://mmsphoto.zenfolio.com/

MMS Photo's gear list:MMS Photo's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P7800 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Nikon D810 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX8 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-42mm F3.5-5.6 II ASPH Mega OIS +7 more
Ralph Ramirez Veteran Member • Posts: 7,056

Any books listed here by Katrin Eismann are excellent your selection depending on the direction you intend to pursue in editing. First page listings are the most relevent..............Ralph

http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=eismann+katrin&tag=googhydr-20&index=stripbooks&hvadid=1100457401&ref=pd_sl_958h20lfjr_b

eagle_I
eagle_I Senior Member • Posts: 2,670

I like Scott Kelby and Deke McClelland. After reading some recent posts in the forum last night I ordered a less expensive, used, copy of Eismann's "Photoshop Masking & Compositing" which in reviews is recommended for more advanced PS users.

After having spent BIG bucks on BIG books by what I saw on their cover only to get them home and discover the author was writing for a mind much different than my own I vowed ALWAYS to open and read pages and look at the illustrations to determine if the book was going to be suitable for me. Can't always do that online so I figure reading reviews is the next best thing. Buying used can save a bundle when you are trying out a new author.

I have Kelby and McClellands books on CS3 and saw no need to get new ones for my update to CS5 as 95% of what's needed is covered in them. I breezed thru both while awaiting shipment of CS5. I then found online a small inexpensive book by Lynette Kent that provided just the "tips and tricks" I needed to get me going with the new stuff in CS5. "Small" for me is good as I have no room to keep a library of large books.

Mark
--

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads