645D and FA645 120mm/4 Macro Lens...Amazing!

Started Dec 4, 2010 | Discussions
laopai Regular Member • Posts: 273
645D and FA645 120mm/4 Macro Lens...Amazing!

First picture, a night shot from Twin Peaks of San Francisco.

Second picture, a 100% crop from the center area of the first picture.

Third picture, 100% crop of the bottom right corner of the first picture. The VERY corner!

Amazing, isn't it?

Pete Fang Senior Member • Posts: 1,900
Please stop this...

Please stop this, my friend. You know that I have the FA120mm Macro and I know that it shines even when mounted on a K20D. Now do I want to spend $10K to compliment a $500 lens???

Seriously, your image and the crops speak for themselves. The detail is astonishing. Do you think this is partly due to the lack of an AA filter in the 645D? I wonder if you've encountered any moire issues in real world use. We don't sit around shooting test charts so I only care about real world scenarios.

Peter

-- hide signature --

Peter Fang - Pentax user for more than 25 years: K-5 / MZ-S / Z-1 / SFX / LX
My Online Gallery: http://petefang.smugmug.com/

Pete Fang's gear list:Pete Fang's gear list
Pentax K-5 Fujifilm X-Pro1 Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm X-Pro2 Pentax K-1 +13 more
jamesm007 Veteran Member • Posts: 5,793
Re: 645D and FA645 120mm/4 Macro Lens...Amazing!

This is insane. I kept going back and forth on that corner crop in dis-belief. Look at the size of the pic and the area thats in it and in the crop I can see wires and small details clearly.

No wonder DPR is posting pics. To give them an excuse to use the darn thing. Brand aside, it's built like a tank, is fully WR (what about lens?), and handles like a PRO FF dSLR, just a bit larger but still hand-holdable. According to those lucky enough to use one.

Thanks for posting.

jamesm007's gear list:jamesm007's gear list
Pentax K20D Pentax K-5 Sigma 17-70mm F2.8-4 DC Macro OS HSM Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM Pentax smc DA 35mm F2.4 AL +13 more
Raybo Regular Member • Posts: 450

This is all a joke..............Right?

This is just beyond what I have seen..........Yikes!

Simon97
Simon97 Veteran Member • Posts: 3,282
DPreview sample pix up

Looking at the studio shot looks like some macro mode. You can see the half tone dots in the VW Beetle pic, threads in the fabrics and look at the detail in the etching of the face!

Aside from the incredible resolution, IQ is very high as DXO has found. This camera means business!

Simon97's gear list:Simon97's gear list
Canon PowerShot ELPH 360 HS Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85
(unknown member) Senior Member • Posts: 2,137
Re: Please stop this...

Pete Fang wrote:

Please stop this, my friend. You know that I have the FA120mm Macro and I know that it shines even when mounted on a K20D. Now do I want to spend $10K to compliment a $500 lens???

After seeing these and the DPR images, it's prolly just gone up a few hundred dollars in Ebay prices.

bazz.
---
Zooms? pfffft!

RogerMexico Contributing Member • Posts: 861
Re: DPreview sample pix up

How many second mortgages are now under consideration?

kevinschoenmakers Contributing Member • Posts: 637

There isn't a whole lote more to say than.. wow!

geoson Senior Member • Posts: 1,054

How many first mortgages are being delayed?

geoson's gear list:geoson's gear list
Samsung TL500 Panasonic LX100 Panasonic FZ1000 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX8 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-150mm F4-5.6 ASPH Mega OIS +2 more
Raybo Regular Member • Posts: 450

I "think" I know where this image is located on the original (bottom right and I had to look real hard) and it still blows my mind!

moving_comfort
moving_comfort Veteran Member • Posts: 8,242

Wow.

moving_comfort's gear list:moving_comfort's gear list
Nikon D800 Pentax K20D Nikon AF Nikkor 180mm f/2.8D ED-IF Nikon AF Nikkor 20mm f/2.8D Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D +10 more
henricoo Regular Member • Posts: 101
f16.....

Very detailed indeed!

Is f16 the sweetest aparture for this lens? In 35 mm terms f16 is over the top...

Does it perform even better at f5.6 or f8?

henricoo's gear list:henricoo's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-R1 Pentax KP Pentax K-1 II
paulkienitz
paulkienitz Veteran Member • Posts: 5,437

I do believe their studio setup has finally run out of usable detail. I couldn't really find anything in the picture tiny enough to push the limit of the 645D -- all the feathers and threads it could see were still visible in the much coarser K-5 images.

Also, a camera this big has shallow enough depth of field that some of the bits of the test scene are noticeably off focus.

-- hide signature --

K10D, Sig 17-70, DA 55-300, FA 50/1.4 "Billy Bass", M 400/5.6 "the Great Truncheon"

paulkienitz's gear list:paulkienitz's gear list
Pentax K-3 Pentax Q Pentax smc DA 50mm F1.8 Pentax smc DA 55-300mm F4.0-5.8 ED Samyang 8mm F3.5 Aspherical IF MC Fisheye +4 more
Rod McD Veteran Member • Posts: 7,675

Hi there,

Thanks. Nice shot, and a deserved reward from the investment in the camera......

The result doesn't actually surprise me. If APSC users WEREN"T saying 'wow', there would be something dreadfully wrong. I used to shoot with the Pentax 645 film camera and would want this from a MF camera. It should be a lot better than APSC. It doesn't matter whether it's film or sensor - size matters for both resolution and DR. The 645D sensor area is almost 4X that of the K5 and the 120mm macro was one of the best of the 645 film lenses. And don't forget that the film lenses were designed with an appreciably bigger image circle than the 645D requires, so the corner is nowhere near the edge of the lens's FOV. Add to this that it's an infinity shot - there was no DOF difficulty even with a 120mm optic.

If only I cold afford one.......

Cheers, Rod

Rod McD's gear list:Rod McD's gear list
Canon PowerShot G1 X Olympus Tough TG-4 Fujifilm X-T4 Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 60mm F2.4 R Macro +13 more
mauritsvw Senior Member • Posts: 1,042
Another viewpoint...

Interesting discussion in the News forum about MF. One guy's viewpoint here:

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1000&message=36845110

"I'd imagine it's pretty much like every other MF back I've shot, including some using the same sensor as the 645D. Under ideal conditions, at the one "magic aperture" where lens diffraction exactly balances aliasing, it will "deliver superior resolution performance". At larger apertures, you'll either have images ruined by aliasing, or resolution limited by software aliasing removal. At smaller apertures, you'll end up with comparable resolution on the MF and FF gear.
Physics bites. "
--
Maurits

mauritsvw's gear list:mauritsvw's gear list
Pentax K-5
sandy b
sandy b Veteran Member • Posts: 9,670
thats stunning.

The detail just goes on and on

sandy b's gear list:sandy b's gear list
Nikon D750 Nikon D7500 Nikon Z50 Nikon Z6 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm F4G ED VR +12 more
MGrayson Regular Member • Posts: 499
Re: Another viewpoint...

mauritsvw wrote:

Interesting discussion in the News forum about MF. One guy's viewpoint here:

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1000&message=36845110

"I'd imagine it's pretty much like every other MF back I've shot, including some using the same sensor as the 645D. Under ideal conditions, at the one "magic aperture" where lens diffraction exactly balances aliasing, it will "deliver superior resolution performance". At larger apertures, you'll either have images ruined by aliasing, or resolution limited by software aliasing removal. At smaller apertures, you'll end up with comparable resolution on the MF and FF gear.
Physics bites. "
--
Maurits

Be careful of arguments that prove too much. (There is a wonderful proof that all horses are the same color). Diffraction applies to film as well, and no one ever said MF and LF film wasn't a huge improvement for landscape photography. I have no idea how wide apertures and aliasing could interact, even in theory. I generally agree with the author of the above comment, but I think his desire for argument got away from him here.

My own concern is that if the 645D only offers increased detail, that may not be enough. MFDB's reputation is based on "smooth transitions" and wide dynamic range. If FF sensors equal them now, then the extra megapixels may not justify the handling deficiencies.

Matt

Simon97
Simon97 Veteran Member • Posts: 3,282

Image resource also has their studio shots up. They compared it to the FF Canikons. The 645D is resolving the threads in the fabrics swatches and fake plant leaves where the others are not. This camera will make some nice large prints!

Simon97's gear list:Simon97's gear list
Canon PowerShot ELPH 360 HS Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85
Tom47 Junior Member • Posts: 49
Re: f16.....

henricoo wrote:

Very detailed indeed!

Is f16 the sweetest aparture for this lens? In 35 mm terms f16 is over the top...

Does it perform even better at f5.6 or f8?

Yes. I have the FA and A versions of this lens and as tempting as it is to use it at f16 or smaller to increase DOF for macro shots, diffraction starts to take its toll around f8.

Tom47's gear list:Tom47's gear list
Epson Stylus Pro 4900
(unknown member) Veteran Member • Posts: 9,549

That looks great.

The DPR samples do too. Super clean and sharp at %100. If I were serious about shooting landscapes and wanted to print at 4 feet across or so I'd have to use something like this (or if I were shooting fashion or advertising perhaps).

That portrait of the man, at full size, looks like a great macro of his whole face. So much detail I think that the computer cant quite handle downsizing it automatically for the browser without creating artifacts that look like cookie crumbs on his lips.

-- hide signature --

John Krumm
Juneau, AK

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads