Started Nov 22, 2010 | Discussions
HozicEmir Contributing Member • Posts: 769
Re: Pentax 18-135mm WR samples

Nr.4
135mm, f5.6 iso 3200
seems like sharpness is more than Ok for long zoom

jamesm007 Veteran Member • Posts: 5,663

Thanks for showing these. I am interested in that lens for sure. I don't trust SDM so I bought the DA18-55mm WR for a general purpose all weather lens. I have the Sigma 17-70mm and know thats a good range, being able to go to 135mm (200mm FF eq) is a very nice range and a better trade off...

No lens is perfect, some problem areas that will probably show in Photozones review. At f/5.6 and 18mm the corners are still a bit soft. Now at f/5.6 135mm that lens is doing good, very good. I was a bit worried it may fall apart at the long end, nope its holding sharpness, contrast, color very well. This is the trade off I was speaking of. The 18-250mm zooms are great lens but with lens everything is a trade-off its just science. Stopping at 135mm strikes a good balance along with its weather-resistance.

If I am in the rain walking and taking pics I don't want to switch lens. I may have to sacrifice a bit of IQ to get the shot (if not using a DA*). My DA18-55mm WR would be OK, but is short. So I could get the DA50-200mm WR. Well you can see the pain in the behind that would be especial in the rain. The DA18-135mm WR gives me just about all the range I need for general pics in all weather, and lets hope with good IQ...

I will bet its about the same as the DA18-55mm WR through that range and as good as the DA50-200mm WR up to its cut off of 135mm. A good trade off, as you don't want to stop down to f/8 in darkish weather. Well with the K-5 maybe you can I guess; speaking of the K-5, whats up with all that PF, tons! Glad its the easy to remove type. Becuase early next year I will be doing just that ;).

jamesm007's gear list:jamesm007's gear list
Pentax K20D Pentax K-5 Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM Sigma 17-70mm F2.8-4 DC Macro OS HSM Pentax smc DA 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 AL WR +12 more
ozdean
ozdean Forum Pro • Posts: 26,179

Anyone concerned about the sharpness of Pentax Jpegs only needs look at this last one with a 50 1.7 @ f8 - problem resolved!
--
Regards Dean - Capturing Creation

ozdean's gear list:ozdean's gear list
Pentax MX-1 Pentax K-5 IIs Pentax K-50 Pentax smc DA* 55mm F1.4 SDM Pentax smc DA 15mm F4 ED AL Limited +13 more
Photostyle Contributing Member • Posts: 723

Are you sure that a Jpeg picture ?? I hope so, it's sublime anyway.

ozdean wrote:

Anyone concerned about the sharpness of Pentax Jpegs only needs look at this last one with a 50 1.7 @ f8 - problem resolved!
--

Panocho Regular Member • Posts: 488

Well, i'm not sure last sample (50mm) it's a JPG OOC pic (have a look in EXIF data, post-processed Photoshop, so i think it's from a RAW file).

This sample:

http://pentax.photoble.net/image/2010/11/0nLrOqlxtKZPXNf/101113040 . jpg

it's more impressive... I don't know what is FS in Exif data (maybe Extra fine sharpening)..... Have a look in shadows transitions. Nice.

Yes nice, but what I would like to see, is a few Jpeg picture (high ISO) straight out the camera without any PP at all, just to be able to see what the Jpeg engine is capable of, it seems that to date no one has post such samples, they all want to post exceptional good picture most in RAW of course, so thats not the way to judge the camera Jpeg engine in different conditions IMO.

Panocho wrote:

Well, i'm not sure last sample (50mm) it's a JPG OOC pic (have a look in EXIF data, post-processed Photoshop, so i think it's from a RAW file).

This sample:

http://pentax.photoble.net/image/2010/11/0nLrOqlxtKZPXNf/101113040 . jpg

it's more impressive... I don't know what is FS in Exif data (maybe Extra fine sharpening)..... Have a look in shadows transitions. Nice.

TOMSDPR Contributing Member • Posts: 912

I really think it is more of a lens problem. Found some edge to edge sharp results taken w 18-55 WR. They look much sharper than the 18-135WR:

http://pentax.photoble.net/?exif=101110011
http://pentax.photoble.net/?exif=101109017

Thomas

ozdean wrote:

--

TOMSDPR's gear list:TOMSDPR's gear list
Canon PowerShot S95 Olympus XZ-1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Sony a7R III Fujifilm X-T100 +7 more
ozdean
ozdean Forum Pro • Posts: 26,179

I may be wrong PS didn't show up under photome when I checked for some reason.
--

ozdean's gear list:ozdean's gear list
Pentax MX-1 Pentax K-5 IIs Pentax K-50 Pentax smc DA* 55mm F1.4 SDM Pentax smc DA 15mm F4 ED AL Limited +13 more

Your samples shows sharpening in camera +1 as settings, the previous 18-135 lens samples where at sharpening 0 , maybe thats the point ?

mjdundee wrote:

I really think it is more of a lens problem. Found some edge to edge sharp results taken w 18-55 WR. They look much sharper than the 18-135WR:

http://pentax.photoble.net/?exif=101110011
http://pentax.photoble.net/?exif=101109017

Thomas

ozdean wrote:

--

chris gunn
chris gunn Veteran Member • Posts: 9,323
It does look sharp!

ozdean wrote:

Looks perfectly sharp to me.

A bit noisier than I expected for ISO 100?

-- hide signature --

cheers!

Gunn

-- Get a big lens and get closer™.

chris gunn's gear list:chris gunn's gear list
Pentax K-1 II
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads