Gary Fong flash diffuser available for Olympus E-PL1

Started Nov 19, 2010 | Discussions
Stu 5 Veteran Member • Posts: 3,277
Gary Fong flash diffuser available for Olympus E-PL1

This looks really interesting. A flash diffuser for the built in flash made just for the E-PL1:

http://garyfong1.xanga.com/735790775/new-gary-fong-puffer-for-olympus/

Janie123 Regular Member • Posts: 442
Re: Gary Fong flash diffuser available for Olympus E-PL1

Super!
Thanks for sharing the link.
jane

Janie123's gear list:Janie123's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Olympus OM-D E-M5 Canon EF 24mm f/2.8 Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM +7 more
Bilgy_no1
Bilgy_no1 Veteran Member • Posts: 4,880
Great!

I have one for my dslr, which doesn't work on the E-PL1. Thought about cutting it up to adapt it to my new cam, but this seems better...

Stu 5 wrote:

This looks really interesting. A flash diffuser for the built in flash made just for the E-PL1:

http://garyfong1.xanga.com/735790775/new-gary-fong-puffer-for-olympus/

jambaj0e Junior Member • Posts: 44

Awesome! I' buying one!

Here's the direct link to where you can buy it:

http://www.garyfongestore.com/offset-puffer-flash-diffuser.html

ADSinger Senior Member • Posts: 1,707
Free Diffuser

I made one that I've been using on my G1 for the past 6 months. It's very simple. Find an old Fuji 35mm film cannister. I say Fuji because they are translucsent plastic. Cut off the closed end, then slit it open. Voila. Mine slips over the flip-up flash and also the little Leica flash I also use.

alan.

-- hide signature --
 ADSinger's gear list:ADSinger's gear list
Fujifilm X100S Fujifilm XQ1 Fujifilm X-T1
Bilgy_no1
Bilgy_no1 Veteran Member • Posts: 4,880
Re: Free Diffuser

That's clever! Thanks for the tip.

However, I'm not sure that it will go well with the pop-up mechanism on the E-PL1

ADSinger wrote:

I made one that I've been using on my G1 for the past 6 months. It's very simple. Find an old Fuji 35mm film cannister. I say Fuji because they are translucsent plastic. Cut off the closed end, then slit it open. Voila. Mine slips over the flip-up flash and also the little Leica flash I also use.

alan.

Griffo59 Regular Member • Posts: 139

Did Gary Fong really say the EPL-1 was a "pancake camera"?

-- hide signature --

Concatenation : the process of glueing one cat's nose to another cat's tail.

pegasus1457 Senior Member • Posts: 1,852

The link in your post is a dead one. On his store web site the new offset puffer is not even listed. What kind of business person is he..?

jambaj0e wrote:

pegasus1457's gear list:pegasus1457's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-200mm F4-5.6 OIS +3 more
Owen
Owen Senior Member • Posts: 2,838
Yes he did

He called it a Pancake camera. I was going to leave him a comment but you have to log in to his website and I figured it wasn't worth the effort. I'm sure someone will let him know.
It's amazing how little some people know about cameras and their lenses.

Owen

Michael J Davis
Michael J Davis Veteran Member • Posts: 3,580
More importantly...

Owen wrote:

He called it a Pancake camera. I was going to leave him a comment but you have to log in to his website and I figured it wasn't worth the effort. I'm sure someone will let him know.

Will it work with 'pancake' lenses? Or does the diffuser sit so far forward that the light gets reflected back into the lens?

Mike
--
Mike Davis
Photographing the public for over 50 years
http://www.flickr.com/photos/watchman

Michael J Davis's gear list:Michael J Davis's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH +5 more
minh0204 Regular Member • Posts: 281

I'll wait a few weeks and pick one up on on fleebay for pennies. Oh wait my "Pancake camera" doesn't have a built-in flash. That's too bad, I can't even buy a knockoff because it won't work.

Call me an @$$hole but I do believe everything Gary Fong is overprice. I'd rather stay home and make a diffuser out of a film canister than getting anything from him.
Strictly my opinion of course.

Beth Veteran Member • Posts: 9,262

no link to place where item may be purchased. Got one?

Beth

His "Puffer" installation instructions show it fitting into the flash shoe. Is the ePL-1 different? Flash is not centered on camera, so would this work?

Re: Yes he did

But he knows it well enough to design something and make $$ from it!!

Beth

-- hide signature --

Story Hour Photography
'Life's a story. Let us illustrate it!'
http://www.pbase.com/cokids/ or
Blog: http://storyhourphotography.blogspot.com/

Bob Carstens Contributing Member • Posts: 705

Beth wrote:

no link to place where item may be purchased. Got one?

Beth

His "Puffer" installation instructions show it fitting into the flash shoe. Is the ePL-1 different? Flash is not centered on camera, so would this work?

I'd like to know also, thanks.

Bob

Bob Carstens's gear list:Bob Carstens's gear list
Olympus E-500 Olympus OM-D E-M10 II Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4.0-5.6 Olympus Zuiko Digital 35mm 1:3.5 Macro +4 more

I watched that video again in the first thread and you can see that the clip to attach it to the hot shoe is off center. Still can't find a link at his store for this unit, I think it's definitely different than the one they show.

Bob

Olympus E-500 Olympus OM-D E-M10 II Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4.0-5.6 Olympus Zuiko Digital 35mm 1:3.5 Macro +4 more

I think so too. Must be a new product....so new they don't even have it listed yet.

Beth

What kind of business person is he..?

He targets the emerging 'Pancake Camera' market.

pegasus1457 wrote:

The link in your post is a dead one. On his store web site the new offset puffer is not even listed. What kind of business person is he..?

jambaj0e wrote:

-- hide signature --

Re: Yes he did

Yes that's true Beth, but there's one born every minute.

Some people can't wait to part with their hard-earned cash I guess.

Ironic how the lighting in all the Gary Fong site product shots is mediocre, to say the least.

-- hide signature --

Gary Fong Support

Here's the response I just received from my email requesting information:

Hi there -

I kind of jumped the gun on putting the product up - we have to wait for the official release. My job is to do the videos and the product description, from then on my group takes over with packaging, etc. It should be several weeks before we get it officially available.
Thank you!
Gary

With best regards,
Gary Fong Support

GARY FONG INC
GARY FONG INC Regular Member • Posts: 223

Hi everybody I am sorry - I jumped the gun on announcing this! We have to go through the proper steps in introducing a new product, and I got gently reminded by my marketing chief that I can't announce this until we do the official announcement.

To answer your question - it is not the same Puffer as all of the Micro 4/3's cameras have the cantilevered flash on the left side, and we made one that fits nicely. I have been playing with it on my Olympus PEN and my Lumix and I am pleased with the images I'm getting with it.
--
Gary Fong
http://www.garyfong.com

GARY FONG INC's gear list:GARY FONG INC's gear list
Olympus E-10 Canon EOS 5D Mark II Pentax K-5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF5 Nikon D7100 +23 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads