Other site links blocking

Started Nov 13, 2010 | Discussions
(unknown member) Regular Member • Posts: 199
Other site links blocking

Hi,

To Dpreview:

I am curious as to why you did not engage with Adam over at Pentaxforums ref site blocking. He has now taken a reluctant decision to implement the same measure against this site. How much longer will silly this rule remain in place as it helps both sites with traffic back and forth.

Regards!
Robbie

LKeithR Veteran Member • Posts: 4,090
Re: Other site links blocking

Amen! Looks like a classic ego-driven p*ssing contest and we all lose because of it. Pure silliness. If people want to visit either site they will anytime they want--blocking is nothing more than an inconvenience...
--
Keith...

Look at the picture, not the pixels...
http://www.lkeithr.zenfolio.com

Peter Jonkman Senior Member • Posts: 1,007

Every time I visit this site (and that's not very much anymore) I remember how childish they are with the link blocking. That such a well-regarded site needs to "protect" itself against other sites is stupid at best. Very 1990's thinking from the owners.

BFD Forum Member • Posts: 67
Attitude is more troubling than the inconvenience

Site blocking to other photo sites such as Pentx forms make this site less user friendly. It is just an irrataing inconvenience. Perhaps the attitude is more troubling than the inconvenience

ET2 Veteran Member • Posts: 4,110
DPR hasn't t blocked

IR, dxomark, dcresources and dozens of other site. Maybe that guy was involved in a spam?

TMalford
TMalford Veteran Member • Posts: 7,693
Re: DPR hasn't t blocked

If I remember correctly, Adam formed his site and linked to it from this forum, inviting folks here to join in.

I think maybe dpr would have preferred he have discussions with them about this first.

I kinda felt it was a little spamish back when it happened.

brandrx Forum Pro • Posts: 28,337
Terry...

TMalford wrote:

If I remember correctly, Adam formed his site and linked to it from this forum, inviting folks here to join in.

I think maybe dpr would have preferred he have discussions with them about this first.

I kinda felt is was a little spamish back when it happened.

Hi Terry,

Wasn't there some banning going on at dpreview back then? Folks got angry and someone suggested that someone should start another site. Adam formed his site and then linked here, asking for folks to leave dpreview and join him. If I remember correctly it got pretty ugly for awhile.

Cheers.

Ron

-- hide signature --

Ron - 'We don't have time to go take pics this afternoon Carl.'
Carl - 'What do you mean? It will only take 1/1000s.'

'Keep your eyes looking forward. However, glance back now and then to see where you've come from. It will put a smile on your face.' ~ brandrx

TMalford
TMalford Veteran Member • Posts: 7,693
Hi Ron

brandrx wrote:

TMalford wrote:

I kinda felt is was a little spamish back when it happened.

Hi Terry,

Wasn't there some banning going on at dpreview back then? Folks got angry and someone suggested that someone should start another site. Adam formed his site and then linked here, asking for folks to leave dpreview and join him. If I remember correctly it got pretty ugly for awhile.

Cheers.

Ron

I think you're right. Something went down that was ugly and in the end the link was blocked.

Britney Elvis Veteran Member • Posts: 5,373
What a sad state of affairs at Adam's PF.

Robbie Corrigan wrote:

Hi,

To Dpreview:

I am curious as to why you did not engage with Adam over at Pentaxforums ref site blocking. He has now taken a reluctant decision to implement the same measure against this site. How much longer will silly this rule remain in place as it helps both sites with traffic back and forth.

Regards!
Robbie

Adam threatens DPR and blocks all links... What a ego on this guy. Now he has got his forum all riled up and talking about war!

Why would DPR engage Adam...

What a joke he has let that forum become. He is crying in his recent Manifesto about Big ol' DPR blocking his links and how if they don't stop it he will block theirs! Meanwhile he blocks any mention of our little forum - friendlyphotozone.com - all because a few ex PF members left his forum to start it. Ours is not even brand specific and is about the 'photo' not the gear. Hypocrisy comes to mind.

He is in the hip pocket of Pentax USA (you know the pocket you keep the wallet in) as they give cameras and other gack to him and his site. And the forum has now obviously just become a marketing tool for Pentax USA, B&H photo and Adorama.

All the while he is selling ad space, while still asking for donations to keep the forum running. I went there today to try and read his Manifesto against DPR and was hit with at least 10 pop up ads.

And the worst thing he has done IMHO, he has turned what was once the best 'forum member' marketplace I had ever seen, into something worse than EBAY where 'for profit' sellers can pay a measly sum and begin clogging the market with overpriced gear... Money - money - money...

DPR should continue to block any links from this forum IMHO.

I wish him all the success in the world as he has built quite a huge forum and following that he can eventually sell for quite a profit... but there is no reason I can see that DPR should do anything to help him.

Unless of course I am missing something obvious.

"All humans are hypocrites; the biggest hypocrite of all is the one who claims to detest hypocrisy."

"Peter Wastholm"

-- hide signature --

Lady Gaga

jthommo101 Contributing Member • Posts: 529
Not if you use

bit.ly or tiny url or any of the url shorteners.

http://bit.ly/dr1aob

-- hide signature --

Thommo

jthommo101's gear list:jthommo101's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix F10 Zoom Pentax *ist DS Pentax K20D Canon EOS 6D Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 +21 more
Xavier Caves Junior Member • Posts: 25
Cults and little Napoleons.

Is this one of this ego wars between "leaders" where they manage to make themselves look like fools?

I have expended a few minutes in that forum and there is a certain "cult" aroma that I tend to dislike. To bring that to this forum add to that impression. THe OP should think which kind of puppet he wants to be. If Adam has a beef with Dpreview, he should bring the heat to Dpreview by himself. Even if he was banned, it is hard for me to believe that someone able to start a forum up cant find a way to skip the ban.

As somebody mentioned, the block linking is childish from any perspective. To come several years later with a manifesto like the one of that Adam looks to me like the action of a little dog barking behind what he thinks it is a impressive bulldog. Small dogs, small men and small d*cks all share in common the same thing.

Britney Elvis Veteran Member • Posts: 5,373
Little boats and small docks

Xavier Caves wrote:

Is this one of this ego wars between "leaders" where they manage to make themselves look like fools?

I have expended a few minutes in that forum and there are a certain "cult" aroma that I tend to dislike. To bring that to this forum add to that impression. THe OP should think which kind of puppet he wants to be. If Adam has a beef with Dpreview, he should bring the heat to Dpreview by himself. Even if he was banned, it is hard for me to believe that someone able to start a forum up cant find a way to skip the ban.

As somebody mentioned, the block linking is childish from any perspective. To come several years later with a manifesto like the one of that Adam looks to me like the action of a little dog barking behind what he thinks it is a impressive bulldog. Small dogs, small men and small d*cks all share in common the same thing.

As someone who is a small man, with a small dog and who has their little boat moored at a small dock... I completely agree with your analogy...
--
'Nothing is worse than active ignorance'

Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Xavier Caves Junior Member • Posts: 25
Re: Little boats and small docks

Howdy my friend, a little boat in a small dock protected by a small dog is not small if can fit 2 small men..... you put the beer

Britney Elvis wrote:

As someone who is a small man, with a small dog and who has their little boat moored at a small dock... I completely agree with your analogy...
--
'Nothing is worse than active ignorance'

Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Simon Joinson
Simon Joinson dpreview Admin • Posts: 5,019

Robbie Corrigan wrote:

Hi,

To Dpreview:

Regards!
Robbie

I've had no contact from them.
Simon
--
Simon Joinson, Editor
dpreview.com

Simon Joinson's gear list:Simon Joinson's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Sony RX100 II Canon EOS 20D Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Nikon D750 +23 more
Simon Joinson

ET2 wrote:

IR, dxomark, dcresources and dozens of other site. Maybe that guy was involved in a spam?

We block links rarely, and only due to spamming.
--
Simon Joinson, Editor
dpreview.com

Fujifilm FinePix X100 Sony RX100 II Canon EOS 20D Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Nikon D750 +23 more
Russell Evans Forum Pro • Posts: 12,617

Simon Joinson wrote:

Hmm, what do you mean by rarely? Seems like you block any reference to Pentaxforums all the time.

Thank you
Russell

-- hide signature --
inFocus Contributing Member • Posts: 642
Re: I'm just curious...

Simon Joinson wrote:

... what were the levels of spamming from the now blocked sites? Are we talking about thousands of posts in the forums or what?

-- hide signature --

What's that noise?

Simon Joinson

Russell Evans wrote:

Simon Joinson wrote:

Hmm, what do you mean by rarely? Seems like you block any reference to Pentaxforums all the time.

Thank you
Russell

Once a domain is blocked for abuse all links to that domain are blocked. It's not a step we take lightly.
Simon Joinson, Editor
dpreview.com

Simon Joinson
Re: I'm just curious...

inFocus wrote:

Simon Joinson wrote:

... what were the levels of spamming from the now blocked sites? Are we talking about thousands of posts in the forums or what?

It varies and it's not just about amount, it's about content.
--
Simon Joinson, Editor
dpreview.com

OP (unknown member) Regular Member • Posts: 199

All, Thanks for the replies and extra background information I was not aware of.

I'm off to take a few pictures, seems a safer option

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads