Nikon D7000 - NEF does not open in PS CS3

Started Nov 12, 2010 | Discussions
benush New Member • Posts: 19
Nikon D7000 - NEF does not open in PS CS3

I just bought the D7000 to run around with - took some shots - raw and jpgs -
My operating system is: Mac Powerbook G4 / OS X 10.4.11 - CS3

Both bridge and Bridge and PS (CS3) do NOT open the D7000 raw file - I get the following message:

"Could not complete your request because Photoshop does not recognize this type of file"

Both ViewNX2 and Capture NX2 open the D7000 files - though the editing is VERY slow

By the way, I do not have the same problem with opening my NIKON D3 files

Can any one out there PLEASE help shed light on this issue.

Thank you so much

Benush

JCB123 Senior Member • Posts: 1,274
Re: Nikon D7000 - NEF does not open in PS CS3

You need the latest version of ACR which will only be compatible with the latest version of Pohotshop.

Adobes nice little gotcha.

Unless you wnat to spend more money on Adobes software than you do on cameras & lenses you'll need to use a third party raw converter.

You could for now use View NX (supplied with camera) to convert your NEFs to 16 bit TIFFs and edit those in CS3 - At least you will then be working in 16 bit mode.
View NX will let you do some basic adjustments on exposure & white balance.

Lightroom is about the most popular converter these days. ( I use bibble 5 but although that does a decent job bibble are taking forever to support new cameras these days so no good to you for now). Lightroom isn't the cheapest converter and you'll still get caught with Adobes gotcha sooner or later, but updating Lightroom will be cheaper than updating to the latest version of CS.

JCB123's gear list:JCB123's gear list
Sony RX100 Nikon D90 Nikon D7000 Olympus PEN E-PL5 Nikon D7100
b2martin_a Contributing Member • Posts: 771

Download the latest DNG converter from Adobe and convert your D7000 NEF files to DNG and these should open in CS3 RAW converter.
--
Bob

Mr Gadget Senior Member • Posts: 1,973
Do Not Pass GO, Do Not Collect $200...

Yep, good ol Adobe sticks it to ya!

$199 USD to upgrade CS3 Photoshop to CS5, and if you use Design Premium CS3 like I do, it will cost you $800, which with the way my business is these days, I guess I will take a pass on.

Do yourself a favor and use a 3rd party RAW converter. I use NX2 and I dont seem to have any issues.
--
Conrad
---------------------------------------------------
Show Low, Arizona

OP benush New Member • Posts: 19

Yeah, I was afraid of that. Thanks anyway. Benush

Re: Do Not Pass GO, Do Not Collect $200...

I agree, though NX2 is sooooooo sloooooow. Biggest problem is that I do all my editing in raw... Thanks anyway

Thanks - This is most helpful!

Roger T. Senior Member • Posts: 2,522
Compatibility Setting - Re: Nikon D7000 - NEF does not open in PS CS3

When you convert your D7000 NEFs to DNGs you need to convert to a compatible version of Adobe Camera Raw - I think it's 4.6 for CS3. It's a setting on the DNG converter user interface.

b2martin_a wrote:

Download the latest DNG converter from Adobe and convert your D7000 NEF files to DNG and these should open in CS3 RAW converter.
--
Bob

-- hide signature --
 Roger T.'s gear list:Roger T.'s gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS50 Nikon D40 Nikon D100 Nikon D700 +10 more
James7000 Regular Member • Posts: 140

Adobe DNG Converter does not yet support the D7000.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads