AF TEST : K5 vs D7000 VS D60

Started Nov 12, 2010 | Discussions
Couscousdelight Regular Member • Posts: 436
AF TEST : K5 vs D7000 VS D60

Sorry, it's French :
K5 make it very well !
Thanks to flojacq from hardware.fr for the scan.

Couscousdelight's gear list:Couscousdelight's gear list
Sony RX100 IV Pentax K-5 Pentax K-1 II Pentax smc FA 77mm 1.8 Limited +1 more
DrugaRunda Senior Member • Posts: 2,741
Re: AF TEST : K5 vs D7000 VS D60

if I understood correctly,

for the car - K7 managed to AF up to 35 meters, while K5 can do up to 10m...

D7000 and D60 did about 10m as well, so all three are on par.

the walking person, I did not get, did K7 do the best there?

Couscousdelight wrote:

Sorry, it's French :
K5 make it very well !

-- hide signature --

common sense is anything but common

OP Couscousdelight Regular Member • Posts: 436

Little translation :

The first test is a boy running at 5km/h in front of the camera, the shot is taken when the subject is at 5 meters, and shows the distance made by the boy after the shutter is released. (80 mm F2.8)

The second test, is a car driving at 50 km/h in front of the camera, 50 meters away. (200mm F2.8)

Yep, it looks like the K7 wins the first test.

There is a point i don't understand, it looks like these tests was made with AF-S mode.

awaldram
awaldram Forum Pro • Posts: 13,271

Couscousdelight wrote:

That would make sense the k7 has a ver short fring cycle some think to short (blur).

There is a point i don't understand, it looks like these tests was made with AF-S mode.

Don't see that .... are you mistaking the Nikon lens designation (D AF-s).?

awaldram's gear list:awaldram's gear list
Pentax K-x Pentax Q Olympus PEN E-PM2 Pentax Q7 Pentax K-3 +17 more
awaldram

awaldram wrote:

Couscousdelight wrote:

That would make sense the k7 has a ver short fring cycle some think to short (blur).

Don't see that .... are you mistaking the Nikon lens designation (D AF-s).?

On a side note I see the d7000 never failed during the car test......Does this mean the photographer is now flat

...Don't see that .... are you mistaking the Nikon lens designation (D AF-s).?... *

You're right, my bad.

awaldram

So much for Canon superiority just silly fan-boy posturing. !!

So, for the car test:

K5 : 16 shots : 14 okay, 1 tolerable, 1 failed

K7 : 8 shots : 6 okay, 2 failed

D7000 : 16 shots : 15 okay, 1 tolerable

D60 : 16 shots : 14 okay, 1 tolerable, 1 failed

So, the K5 is at least as good as the D60 AF.

awaldram

True plus the K5 was the only camera to get a good shot

I think its about a wash but if you were splitting hair (as I'm sure we will) then the k5 delivered the largest range of in focus shots of a speeding car 50-10 Meters.

That surely shows how far Pentax have come.

Would be interesting to see low light af-c results to

Couscousdelight wrote:

So, for the car test:

K5 : 16 shots : 14 okay, 1 tolerable, 1 failed

K7 : 8 shots : 6 okay, 2 failed

D7000 : 16 shots : 15 okay, 1 tolerable

D60 : 16 shots : 14 okay, 1 tolerable, 1 failed

So, the K5 is at least as good as the D60 AF.

DuncanM1 Contributing Member • Posts: 817

So if I understand it correctly, the image of the boy measures how far the boy moved after the shutter is tripped, so a lower number is better? For the car, each green triangle indicates one in-focus shot?

If I understand it correctly on the car:
the K-7 got 7 in focus shots and 2 OOF. First IF at 49metres and last at 25m

the K-5 got 14 IF, one OK focus and 1 OOF. 1st IF at 48m and last at 10m, 1 OK at 7m.

the D7000 got 15 IF, and 2 OK focus. 1st IF at 46m and last at 11m. last OK at 8m.

The D60 got 14 IF, 1 OK focus and one OOF. 1st IF at 47m, last at 12.5m. 1 OK at 10m.

Since the car is moving at 13.88 m/s, the total time from 50 to 0m = 3.6sec so total time from 48 to 7m (for the K-5) = 2.95sec/15 frames= 5.1 frame/sec

Basically, this seems to indicate a dead heat between the K-5, D7000 and D60.

awaldram

I agree the FPS rate is the same but surely as the car gets closer the relative speed increases.?

So the camera that took the closest shot in focus is the winner

Of cause is could be that the k5 just happened to fire its shutter at the right time to capture the last viable shot whilst the Nikon and Cannon got caught mid sequence.

Still fun to be in a position to argue that the Pentax is the fastest focusing of the current crop of cameras (whether true or not)
--
My PPG

http://www.pentaxphotogallery.com/home#section=ARTIST&subSection=1471087&subSubSection=0&language=EN
My Photo Stream
http://www.flickr.com/photos/awaldram/

MightyMike Forum Pro • Posts: 40,527

Unfortunately it can also depend on the lens, i was photographing my nephew playing ball hockey (little league as he is only 5), the light level was just flood lights at night EV6-7 range. so as he ran towards me i figured i'd burst off a few... I used the 77Ltd at F2 and the camera got only the first 1 or 2 in focus and the rest were just blur. the K-5 just couldn't keep up with that lens on, however t was just fine with my 70-210mm F4-5.6 at 2-3 stops less light getting to the sensor.
--
Mike from Canada

'I like to think so far outside the box that it would require a telephoto lens just to see the box!' ~ 'My Quote :)'

http://www.airliners.net/search/photo.search?sort_order=views%20DESC&first_this_page=0&page_limit=180&&emailsearch=mighty_mike88%40hotmail.com&thumbnails=

ManuH
ManuH Veteran Member • Posts: 3,898

This is a very interesting, one of the first K-5 AF test in a controlled situation. I see that the FA* 80-200mm f/2.8 is used. A bit of a pity that they didn't use the same Tamron lens for all 3 cameras. But still better than using the dog slow DA* 50-135mm.

We can see that the K-5 has made a huge progress vs the K-7 and is now on par with the competition. That should close the AF lamentations. The K-5 may still not be the top of the top (which are anyway the domain of D3/1D types of camera) but it doesn't lag the competition anymore. This is very good news indeed.

Walt_A Senior Member • Posts: 2,116

Thanks for posting these. Got any more? I'm missing all these tests from summer 2007 (K10D etc) until these and would love to add them to my spreadsheet (Yup, I'm sad, it's official )

It really is good to see a pentax performing so well in this test, my GX10 scored a good .18m in the first but only got 1 in focus on the speeding car and that was the first one taken in the sequence (almost identical to the K10D tested). This has proven quite reliable in real life and I never now shoot continuous drive mode when using AF-C because it just doesn't seem to work for me and my camera.
I would be really interested to see how the K-r performed when they test that.

FYI the K-5 now matches the likes of the canon 30D (.23m and 15 in focus) and nikon D200 (.26m and 14 in focus), I felt sure pentax would get there (OK 3 years late, but hey, it's ok I'm patient....right off to buy a canon 30D..... )

Actually I was thinking about a K-x as they've dropped in price quite a bit in the last couple of weeks, but seeing how poor the K-7 is in the tracking I think I'll skip the K-x now, oh well just saved £329 to put towards a K-r or K-5 next year....
--
Walt

http://picasaweb.google.com/waltdall

Walt_A wrote:

Thanks for posting these. Got any more? I'm missing all these tests from summer 2007 (K10D etc) until these and would love to add them to my spreadsheet (Yup, I'm sad, it's official )

Here is the original brochure : http://multimedia.fnac.com/multimedia/editorial/labo/REFLEX_2011_v2.pdf
Fnac is a french famous electronic & cultural stuff store.

Here is a fresh french test of the K5 : http://www.lesnumeriques.com/pentax-k-5-p309_9853_152.html a english test will be publish soon.
5/5 stars !

Couscousdelight wrote:

Walt_A wrote:

Here is the original brochure : http://multimedia.fnac.com/multimedia/editorial/labo/REFLEX_2011_v2.pdf
Fnac is a french famous electronic & cultural stuff store.

Here is a fresh french test of the K5 : http://www.lesnumeriques.com/pentax-k-5-p309_9853_152.html a english test will be publish soon.
5/5 stars !

Thankyou very much, you've made my day, there goes any thoughts or proper work, hello spreadsheet! I notice it even has the mirrorless cameras as well....

-- hide signature --
Re: more af tests of older pentax models

If there is anyone else who is interested in these tests on older cameras I have just done some searching of fnac's website and found the following older pdf's, they include tests on cameras like the k-m, k200, k20, k-x as well as many others:

Edited to add... those links didn't seem to work so I'm just trying this one first

http://multimedia.fnac.com/multimedia/editorial/pdf/dossiers_techniques_2008/photo_ete2008.pdf

-- hide signature --
ManuH
ManuH Veteran Member • Posts: 3,898

Walt_A wrote:

It really is good to see a pentax performing so well in this test, my GX10 scored a good .18m in the first but only got 1 in focus on the speeding car and that was the first one taken in the sequence (almost identical to the K10D tested).

Yes, the AF-C on the K10D was broken. I think they made it to give fps priority while the AF was not fast enough to follow 3fps. The K20D improved on that as far as I recall (giving more priority to focus at the expense of lower fps).

Re: more af tests of older pentax models
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads