Any solutions to D700's Loud Shutter

Started Nov 11, 2010 | Discussions
rodneyb
rodneyb Regular Member • Posts: 120
Any solutions to D700's Loud Shutter

D700, why must you be so loud?

I'm shooting a music festival in Durham, NC, last weekend (called Troika). Most of the venues were large and loud, but one was tiny and intimate. One of the artists, Django Haskins, was performing a rare solo set there away from his band, The Old Ceremony. The PA was having issues, so he unplugged and stood on a chair at the front of the stage and had the audience come stand around. He is a singer/songwriter sort of guy, and you could hear a pin-drop in this place at times.

I felt so embarrassed every time I'd click the shutter. It was so distracting. I finally just put the camera down and didn't take any more.

Does anyone know why this shutter is so much louder than any other camera I've used? Anything I can do about it? I'm seriously wondering how much quieter a D7000 would be. I hate to spend money on another body right now, but I hate to miss a shot, too.

-- hide signature --
 rodneyb's gear list:rodneyb's gear list
Fujifilm X100S Sony a7R II Voigtlander 40mm F1.4 Nokton Classic Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Sony FE 24-70mm F4 OSS +4 more
PHXAZCRAIG
PHXAZCRAIG Forum Pro • Posts: 16,079
Re: Any solutions to D700's Loud Shutter

The classic solution to a loud camera is the Jacobson blimp. (Google it). Not cheap. Effective.

PHXAZCRAIG's gear list:PHXAZCRAIG's gear list
Nikon D80 Nikon D200 Nikon D300 Nikon D700 Nikon 1 V1 +37 more
HorsePix Regular Member • Posts: 184
D3s Quiet Mode

While the D3s might actually be louder, in "quiet mode" the shutter noise is much less sharp and noticable. Particularly if you keep the release pressed for a second or so to separate the mirror slap from the return.

I use this quite a bit when I'm ringside with a noticably spooky horse that reacts to the shutter noise. I loose the fast action shots, but in most cases I can continue to photograph without disturbing the action.

Plus you'd get another stop or so of ISO: what's not to love?

-- hide signature --

Michael

djedi
djedi Senior Member • Posts: 2,795
D3100

I purchased this little baby as a carry-all-the-time companion to my D700. Besides being small and inobtrusive, it is also VERY quiet- even in regular mode! Haven't even used quiet mode yet, though it's available.

I carry this baby every day, even when not on asignment. I put a Tamron 18-270 VR on it (tested better than the 18-200Nikkor I purchased first) and I am ready for almost anything. In a concert situation, however, the 50mm 1.4 would be the perfect mate.
Wolfgang
--
Old timer

djedi's gear list:djedi's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-V3 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX20V Canon PowerShot SX50 HS Nikon D300 Olympus PEN E-PL3 +12 more
CoolHandLu Regular Member • Posts: 405
How does "quiet mode" give you more ISO?

Michael - your comment re: getting a stop or so of additional ISO when using "quiet mode" gave me pause. I couldn't figure out how this is so. Could you elaborate?
Thanks!
Brian
--

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work. I want to achieve immortality
through not dying. (Woody Allen)

CoolHandLu's gear list:CoolHandLu's gear list
Nikon D750 Nikon D500 Nikon D700 Nikon D300S Nikon D5100 +17 more
jwalker019 Senior Member • Posts: 2,613
Re: D3100

djedi wrote:

I purchased this little baby as a carry-all-the-time companion to my D700. Besides being small and inobtrusive, it is also VERY quiet- even in regular mode! Haven't even used quiet mode yet, though it's available.

I carry this baby every day, even when not on asignment. I put a Tamron 18-270 VR on it (tested better than the 18-200Nikkor I purchased first) and I am ready for almost anything. In a concert situation, however, the 50mm 1.4 would be the perfect mate.

Agreed - I use the D5000 in similar circumstances instead of my D3. Now if we could just get a small, quiet DSLR with the D3s sensor

-- hide signature --
 jwalker019's gear list:jwalker019's gear list
Nikon D3 Fujifilm X-T2 Nikon Z6 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G +7 more
rodneyb
OP rodneyb Regular Member • Posts: 120

Wow. Interesting product, but that is crazy expensive. And it seems like I'd miss a lot of things about my camera shooting through that. Would make more sense to get a 2nd, quieter body I think.
--
http://rodneyboles.com

Fujifilm X100S Sony a7R II Voigtlander 40mm F1.4 Nokton Classic Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Sony FE 24-70mm F4 OSS +4 more
rodneyb

I hate that these cheaper bodies don't drive autofocus on my 50 f/1.4 D and 85 f/1.4 D lenses. I'm in no hurry to update my glass. But maybe a D50 or something would work. The D7000 is interesting cause of the ISO performance, of course. Although pricey.
--

HorsePix Regular Member • Posts: 184
Re: How does "quiet mode" give you more ISO?

CoolHandLu wrote:

Michael - your comment re: getting a stop or so of additional ISO when using "quiet mode" gave me pause. I couldn't figure out how this is so. Could you elaborate?

More ISO than the D700. Unfortunately, no magic (other than that already baked into the D3s :-))
--Michael

rodneyb
Re: D3s Quiet Mode

I love this solution. Just need to start a collection plate.
--

jumpyjump Regular Member • Posts: 212

Leica m9 anyone?

CoolHandLu Regular Member • Posts: 405

Ah! You were, with regard to the ISO remark, referring to the ISO properties of the D3s (not the "quiet mode" per se) - I'm getting old and feeble, thanks for 'splainin!

Brian
--

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work. I want to achieve immortality
through not dying. (Woody Allen)

CoolHandLu's gear list:CoolHandLu's gear list
Nikon D750 Nikon D500 Nikon D700 Nikon D300S Nikon D5100 +17 more
xjassa Senior Member • Posts: 1,197
Is the D3 quieter than the D700?

To me, the D3 is quieter than my D2h or D2x.

I don't recall many posts at all about the D2h/D2x being noisy. In fact, I don't recall a post about the D3 being noisy.

But I read a lot about how noisy the D700 is.

Maybe the answer to the OP's question is to get a D3?

SUPERHOKIE Senior Member • Posts: 1,006

I'd get a quiet second body, something like a D40 or something similiar.
You know what body has a louder shutter than the D700? D200.

D200 and some MAJOR mirror slap and it's very loud. I didn't think the D700 was that bad when I tried it...

JosephD05 Regular Member • Posts: 215

HOld on a sec, you're trying to tell us that the D700 noise was heard while this dude was playing the guitar? He needs a better amp

Markus Richter Senior Member • Posts: 1,104
Re: Is the D3 quieter than the D700?

xjassa wrote:

To me, the D3 is quieter than my D2h or D2x.

I don't recall many posts at all about the D2h/D2x being noisy. In fact, I don't recall a post about the D3 being noisy.

Maybe the answer to the OP's question is to get a D3?

I own the D3 and D3X. These two cameras are the loudest I've ever owned. Not a solution for the OP.

UponQuai
UponQuai Contributing Member • Posts: 654
Mirror Lock-Up does the trick

MLU does the trick for me.

You just have to click twice.

Not totally silent but not too bad either

Horacio Borromeo Contributing Member • Posts: 664

djedi wrote:

Wolfgang
--
Old timer

I tried the D3100 briefly at Target and was very impressed with its quiet shutter. reminded me of the Leica SLR I had a chance to try many years ago.

Horacio

Horacio Borromeo's gear list:Horacio Borromeo's gear list
Sony RX100 V Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm X-T1 Nikon AF Nikkor 85mm f/1.8D Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS +3 more
BrianSaunders Regular Member • Posts: 196
Re: Any solutions to D700's Loud Shutter-Discretion

In the situation you were in you had no choice but to respect the performer and the audience. The PA goes out he (the performer) doesn’t get rilled instead he invites the audience up into a personal performance. A few shots before he begins to is fine once he starts well imo that’s the time to put the camera down and participate. Since you haven’t been banging away and you do decide to take a shot I’m sure he wouldn’t mind. The other alternative would have been to use a long lens and move to the back. Reminds me of the time I was at a Fleetwood Mac concert in the seventies at an indoor theater in Staten Island, NY. I was using a Yashica TL Super, the music was loud and the audience stoked and still two big dudes come up to me and my party and politely asked if I could refrain from taking pic’s. Yashica’s sounded like M14’s but they were nice and we were ok with the request. Nice shot btw.

-- hide signature --

D700
17-35 f/2.8
28-70 f/2.8
70-200mm f/2.8 VRII
Sigma 50mm f/1.4 EX DG HSM

Canon 20D
Sigma 50-500mm EX DG HSM
Canon 24-105mm f/4L IS USM

Azra Regular Member • Posts: 407
Re: Is the D3 quieter than the D700?

I bet it's from people who dont have one or use one....... I shoot loads of live photography and its the usual 'no flash' BS... I have had enough images published at half page sizes in magazines shot at iso 4000 and above to confidently say, noise is not an issue with the d700.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads