60D over T2i?

Started Nov 11, 2010 | Discussions
Donald Flint New Member • Posts: 9
60D over T2i?

Long story short, today is my last day of return/exchange possibility for my T2i i got two weeks ago. I'm strongly considering switching it for a 60D.

Is this a good step? My main concern is the mentions, both on dpreview's detailed review and a post or two here, that the white balance has issues. Someone even said it's not as good as the T2i's, and that makes me hesitate.

On the detailed reviews here, 60D gets a white balance mention under the Cons list on the conclusions, but the T2i does not. Shouldn't it be the same between these models, considering the same sensor and other internal similarities?

I like the T2i but there's a couple build quality issues I encountered. Flash hinge and control dial are both a little "squeaky". Seems to be an issue with that model as the display at the stores did it too.

I don't want to end up with worse white balance, though...

extesd Forum Member • Posts: 96
Re: 60D over T2i?

What camera did you end up with?

Fadhil Alsaegh Forum Member • Posts: 54

I guess that you will be OK if you use the white balance presets (Sunny, Cloudy, Tungsten, etc...) instead of AWB..

a lot of cameras don't have a very reliable white balance, assuming the T2i is better than the 60D in this segment, I don't think it is going to be a big difference. If you shoot RAW you can always change the white balance after you take the picture.

If the price isn't an issue, I would go with a 60D over a T2i any day giving the much improved overall experience with the 60D.

Fadhil Alsaegh's gear list:Fadhil Alsaegh's gear list
Canon EOS 7D
Olga Johnson Forum Pro • Posts: 24,360

The biggest difference IMHO is a personal issue: Handling.

Have you handled the 60D? Do you feel more comfortable with a 60D or T2i? Only you can answer that question.

-- hide signature --

Olga

Hurricane Phil Senior Member • Posts: 1,050

Donald,

If I remember correctly, the 60D review only "conned" the white balance under incandescent lighting conditions. All DSLR's have challenges in that area. I don't think I'd concern myself with it, especially since you can just shoot RAW in those conditions, and correct the WB in PP.

Phil

rwl408 Senior Member • Posts: 1,849

Donald Flint wrote:

On the detailed reviews here, 60D gets a white balance mention under the Cons list on the conclusions, but the T2i does not. Shouldn't it be the same between these models, considering the same sensor and other internal similarities?

I believe it is about the "auto" WB, which is just an educational guess by software, and will never be 100% right (acceptible). DPR seems to have a tendency to pick on auto WB when they could not find more serious drawbacks. To me, it actually is a good sign about the camera when it is the most "substantial" drawback mentioned. If you shoot JPEG and really care about WB, you should not use "auto" mode at all.
--
Rick

Richard Butler
Richard Butler dpreview Admin • Posts: 2,820

If you read the review, you'll see we say it's a criticism we've had of most Canon DSLRs (under-compensation for tungsten lighting). It's not something I'd expect to be any better with the 550D and certainly isn't a reason to choose one over the other.

Image-wise the two cameras are essentially identical, the question is whether the more comfortable grip, bigger viewfinder, two-dial control system or articulated screen are enough to justify the extra money (for you).

Richard - dpreview.com

krob78 Regular Member • Posts: 175

I shot the 60D for a couple of weeks, the WB was never an issue. No problems. I make the jump!

cd cooker Contributing Member • Posts: 601

Donald Flint wrote:

I like the T2i but there's a couple build quality issues I encountered. Flash hinge and control dial are both a little "squeaky". Seems to be an issue with that model as the display at the stores did it too.

Did you handle 60D in person? I am sorry to tell you that the flash hinge of 60D is very similar to T2i, than 7D or 50D. When you press the flash pop up button, the flash on 60D will pop up with a pretty loud noise, similar to T2i. When I tried 7D and 50D, there are some kind of spring or damper to make it less noisy, and the whole pop up process is just a lot more "professional". I inspect the mechanism of the flash pop up on all of these 4 DSLRs. T2i and 60D is similar, and 7D and 50D is similar.

cd cooker's gear list:cd cooker's gear list
Canon EOS R Canon RF 24-105mm F4L IS USM
OP Donald Flint New Member • Posts: 9

I wasn't talking about the sound of the pop, I'm talking about when closing the flash. On the T2i, both mine and the displays, it was "squeaky" when doing that, like the hinge itself was too tight. 60D didn't appear to have that issue. Minor point.

I handled the 60D in a shop last weekend and I liked the feel of it more than the T2i I think. Bigger, more pro-level ergonomics and the other improvements are nice as well.

I think I'll go ahead and return the T2i, since my deadline is tonight when BB closes, and take a few days to assess things. I could always go back to the T2i at the same price if all else failed.

Glad to hear about the white balance. Looks like the T2i review was done by a different reviewer which would explain the differences in wording. That was making me a little nervous so it's good to hear.

skanter
skanter Forum Pro • Posts: 24,787

cd cooker wrote:

Donald Flint wrote:

When I tried 7D and 50D, there are some kind of spring or damper to make it less noisy, and the whole pop up process is just a lot more "professional".

That's a new one! The sound of the flash is not "professional"!

That is silly. And, professionals rarely use the pop-up flash, but external off camera flashes and strobes.
--
Sam K., NYC

skanter's gear list:skanter's gear list
Sony a6300 Sony E 55-210mm F4.5-6.3 OSS Sony E 10-18mm F4 OSS Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS Sony E 35mm F1.8 OSS +2 more
MOTILAC CA Junior Member • Posts: 33

60D owner here, no notice of bad white balance.
I would say go with what camera feels good in your hands, and on the budget.

skanter
skanter Forum Pro • Posts: 24,787

Auto WB under low lamplight does come out orange-looking on every Canon DSLR I've used. No biggie, easily adjusted in PP, as are 90% of all issues.

Is it possible that some people don't know that photos from DSLRs are meant to be post-processed, and that if you don't, you are losing half the control over your photos? Knowledge and skill PP is far more important than which camera body you buy, or even which lens you use.

Donald Flint wrote:

Long story short, today is my last day of return/exchange possibility for my T2i i got two weeks ago. I'm strongly considering switching it for a 60D.

Is this a good step? My main concern is the mentions, both on dpreview's detailed review and a post or two here, that the white balance has issues. Someone even said it's not as good as the T2i's, and that makes me hesitate.

I don't want to end up with worse white balance, though...

-- hide signature --

Sam K., NYC

skanter's gear list:skanter's gear list
Sony a6300 Sony E 55-210mm F4.5-6.3 OSS Sony E 10-18mm F4 OSS Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS Sony E 35mm F1.8 OSS +2 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads