About this 60D isn't a semi-pro cam BS...

Started Nov 11, 2010 | Discussions
photobug4741 Senior Member • Posts: 1,885
Re: About this 60D isn't a semi-pro cam BS...

When I got rid of my "Pro" type camera a CM500 Haselblad and all the high priced Blad Lens. And moved into just using my SLR Canon A1, I remember many saying it was not a real Pro. type camera, that the Canon F1 was the real Pro. type Canon SLR.

Now many years later I see the same type of material posted in all the Photo forums.

I feel if the 60D meets ones needs and they can make money using it, then it's a Pro. type camera.

Urkel Junior Member • Posts: 29
Why get offended? These classifications aren't meant for you...

If someone makes money with an iPhone photo then is that now considered a "Pro" camera?

I'm really not sure why you are so offended by classifications of an object, but the fact that you make money with photography says that YOU are the pro, not the camera. These "Pro". "Semi-Pro" and "Consumer" classifications aren't meant for photographers who know what they're doing. They're meant for the larger side of the market that has no idea what to buy.

Osiris30 wrote:

I happen to be making good money with mine.. so if it's not a semi-pro capable cam I'm not sure what it is. Mine has paid for itself already. People need to really get over this concept of pro/semi-pro/enthusiast/amateur camera stuff.

Urkel Junior Member • Posts: 29
Why try to prove that a Camera is the "pro"?

Osiris30 wrote:

Agreed 100000%. Problem is there are some folks here that feel a spec sheet determines your IQ and not your skill.

If you truly believe that the skill is from the photographer then why are you trying to prove that the Camera is the one being unfairly judged? Unless these people here are your clients, who cares what they think about what category your camera falls into.

OP Osiris30 Senior Member • Posts: 2,804
Re: Why get offended? These classifications aren't meant for you...

Firstly I'm not offended, but fed up and this is why:

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1019&message=36886956

and we just had another thread posted wanting to move cameras around forums. I would love to focus on what people are shooting and how they shoot it. I get that DPR is a gear forum, but seriously.. Of the most recent 25 posts on this forum, 2 have any semi-photography related image content. One contains comparison image swaths.

Based on an admittedly limited sample size there are currently the same number of threads whining about where to put the 60D in the forum structure as there are threads about people using the gear.

FWIW: I understand what you're saying, but I want to challenge the haters to put their money where their mouth is. Thus far they have proved my point quite well by their absence.

Cheers,

Steve

Urkel wrote:

If someone makes money with an iPhone photo then is that now considered a "Pro" camera?

I'm really not sure why you are so offended by classifications of an object, but the fact that you make money with photography says that YOU are the pro, not the camera. These "Pro". "Semi-Pro" and "Consumer" classifications aren't meant for photographers who know what they're doing. They're meant for the larger side of the market that has no idea what to buy.

Osiris30 wrote:

I happen to be making good money with mine.. so if it's not a semi-pro capable cam I'm not sure what it is. Mine has paid for itself already. People need to really get over this concept of pro/semi-pro/enthusiast/amateur camera stuff.

OP Osiris30 Senior Member • Posts: 2,804
Re: Why try to prove that a Camera is the "pro"?

Urkel wrote:

Osiris30 wrote:

Agreed 100000%. Problem is there are some folks here that feel a spec sheet determines your IQ and not your skill.

If you truly believe that the skill is from the photographer then why are you trying to prove that the Camera is the one being unfairly judged? Unless these people here are your clients, who cares what they think about what category your camera falls into.

Because I enjoy reading these forums and right now they are full of nonsense... so I want these people who insist on spouting crap to come here and justify their claims.. 'put up or shut up' if you will. I don't care where the camera is classified, but the attitude that some are displaying is down right nasty and I've had enough. If they are entitled to whine endlessly (as I'm implying from your post) then I'm equally entitled to challenge said whining, no?

Either way Urkel, you aren't the person (or type thereof) that the OP was aimed at

Cheers,

Steve

24Peter
24Peter Veteran Member • Posts: 3,156
Re: Why try to prove that a Camera is the "pro"?

I also agree with your take on things Steve, though I don't really give a hoot what other people (or Canon for that matter) do in terms of labeling a camera "Pro", "Semi-Pro" or whatever. I too have earned more than twice what I paid for the camera in the last 6 weeks and expect a long stream of income to continue... So call it what you like!

I have to say I like the ergonomics of the 60D so much , my 5DII feels downright clunkly now. The 5DII still has the edge in terms of IQ, but for most of my work, clients won't notice the difference.

And I also agree a FF sensor in the 60D body (plastic and all) would be killer! I'd probably buy one on day 1 of it's availability.

Anyway, gotta run to the bank to deposit another 60D check
--
View my photo galleries here: http://imageevent.com/24peter

Alfonso Bastias Contributing Member • Posts: 965
I agree with you. You got the point (nt)
-- hide signature --

Alfonso

Alfonso Bastias's gear list:Alfonso Bastias's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 Canon EF-S 18-135mm F3.5-5.6 IS
Soothsayerman Regular Member • Posts: 210

No sync port
No metal body
Lack of joy stick

So what if it is not semi-pro? doesn't mean it doesn't take great pictures. Wouldn't work for me though, I need a sync port.

-- hide signature --

'Photography is not about the thing photographed. It is about how that thing looks photographed.' ~ Winogrand

Soothsayerman's gear list:Soothsayerman's gear list
Canon PowerShot A590 IS Canon PowerShot G11 Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 40D Canon EOS 450D +10 more
Mark B. Forum Pro • Posts: 23,995

I have to agree. I'm currently using a 30D as a backup to my 7D, and I may very well go to a 60D next year. I don't like having different memory cards, but on the plus side the batteries are the same. I can see where the flip LCD can be useful in studio or macro situations.

Mark

hbx2004 Veteran Member • Posts: 3,162
Agree!

Urkel wrote:

You've made a good point. I'll go even further: there are people who use their cell phones for business only.. so, do they use professional cell phones?

I don't understand all that need some have for pro/semi-pro confirmation. As it seems, marketing pays off.. how about professional chewing gum?

http://www.wrigleydentalcare.com/orbit_us/media-area/press-releases/extra-launches-professional-sugarfree-gum-product/index.htm
-you don't chew "professional"? how lame

Bogdan

photobug4741 Senior Member • Posts: 1,885

The market will be the end proof,of how well any new camera is accepted.

If they sell well, then they are deemed what ever the buyer wants them to be.

Buchanan Senior Member • Posts: 1,124

coreyh wrote:

Who cares how it is labeled? Forums are for discussion and you have to admit that canon did actually downgrade the XXd line to fit between the 7D and the rebel series. Now there are 3 types of crop cameras.... or are there.

Not sure I am following your thought. The 50D was already between the rebel and 7D so why would the 60D have to be "downgraded" from the 50D to still fit between rebel and 7D?

For me, other than the loss of MA, I am not seeing a downgrade. I would trade the better ISO qualities of the new sensor for the loss of 0.7fps. Are you meaning that if the new model XXD had kept the 50D MA, added the 7D sensor (and somehow could have maintained the 6fps), plus added the other features that have been added then the 60D would no longer been between rebel & 7D?

The other areas that have been called "downgrades" in various threads/posts are ergonomically related and nearly everyone who has actually tried the camera seems to like how they are working. The 60D may not have been exactly what some XXD owners were hoping for regarding every feature but I don't think it was a downgrade from 50D. No way would I have bought a new 60D instead of the 50D if it was indeed just a downgraded 50D; but 50D wasn't even in the running, my decision was between 60D and 7D.

I agree with Osiris' comments, and it's an excellent camera.

Tim

Buchanan's gear list:Buchanan's gear list
Canon PowerShot S95 Canon EOS 60D Canon EOS 6D Canon EOS Rebel SL1 Canon EOS 70D +15 more
sleibson Regular Member • Posts: 440

I shoot a lot of flash and don't consider the lack of a sync port much of a "pro" differentiator. If I want off-camera flash (usually), I use an RF trigger commonly called a "Poverty Wizard." ($50 for one transmitter, two receivers.) If I want a hard connection, an extension cable from the hot shoe works fine and extends TTL if I want that. If you must have a PC connection, $10 buys you a hot-shoe-to-pc adapter on eBay.

Even the "pros" don't seem to like PC connectors because they're too flaky for "pro" use. They prefer HH plugs or 1/8 mini phone plugs or RCA plugs or just about anything besides a PC connector, except of course for the proprietary Vivitar flash connector.

-- hide signature --

Steve Leibson

Shooting with Canons for 35+ years

sleibson's gear list:sleibson's gear list
Canon PowerShot G12 Canon EOS 20D Canon EOS 60D Canon EOS Rebel SL1 Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II +10 more
tom sugnet Veteran Member • Posts: 3,342

60d is 'semipro' just like 90d is, that is: it's not
--
Feel free to visit my photo sites:
http://tom.st , http://www.foto.tom.st

tom sugnet's gear list:tom sugnet's gear list
Canon EOS 50D Samsung NX1000 Canon EOS 70D Nikon D5500 Canon EF 135mm F2L USM +4 more
Cephus Regular Member • Posts: 366
The 60D isn't a semi-pro camera

To me the rating of a camera as a pro-camera or a semi-pro camera is more about thie ability of the camera to with stand the rigors of professional usage, many hours a day, day after day and it has little to say about its ability to deliver excellent images. I would never classify the 60D as a professional camera although it can and does deliver professional quality images and I am sure that it will be used either as the main camera or as a backup by many professionals but few professionals would make it their main camera of choice.

I can purchase a $30 drill that will have the same performance as a professional $300 one but it will not keep performing month after month of heavy usage.

A good professional can deliver outstanding images with the least expensive DSLR around but that does not make this a professional camera.

Believe that this issue keeps coming up as many wanna be professional photographers want to say 'I must be good, I have a (semi) professional camera'. A camera is a tool but it is only a tool, it is the photographer and not the camera that determines if the images are (semi) professional (what ever this means) or not.

These threads about how many angels can dance on the head of a pin do not contribute anything to the knowledge of photography and chew up a considerable amout of time that could best be spent learning how to better use the tools you have.

Paul De Bra
Paul De Bra Forum Pro • Posts: 12,499
Semi-Pro does not exist.

A tool is used by and intended for professionals is a professional tool. Tools for amateurs are amateur tools. There need to be classifications like beginner and "enthousiast" but there really is no such thing as "semi-pro". Something is for professionals or it is not.

In most cases the word "professional" is abused as well. Any consumer-level store selling something labels as "professional" is not selling this to professionals. Forget ads for things like "professional hair coloring available in your supermarket". Bull! This would not be used in a professional setting. I'm also active in music. Audio equipment or musical instruments labeled as "professional" would never stand up in a professional setting.

Cameras labeled as semi-pro just mean they would not be used by any professional (except in countries where the real professional stuff is unaffordable for even the most serious professional).

-- hide signature --

Slowly learning to use the 450D, the Canon G6 and the Fuji F200.
Public pictures at http://debra.zenfolio.com/ .

Paul De Bra's gear list:Paul De Bra's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix F200EXR Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M5 II Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 +3 more
hemiola New Member • Posts: 18
Re: Semi-Pro does not exist.

Paul De Bra wrote:

Cameras labeled as semi-pro just mean they would not be used by any professional (except in countries where the real professional stuff is unaffordable for even the most serious professional).

Truer words have never been spoken! Oh and there's one more obvious exception: used occasionally as a second/back-up camera

walkaround Senior Member • Posts: 2,551
Re: Semi-Pro does not exist.

hemiola wrote:

Paul De Bra wrote:

Truer words have never been spoken! Oh and there's one more obvious exception: used occasionally as a second/back-up camera

My god man, this thread is 2.5 years old. Let it rest in peace.

Searching Veteran Member • Posts: 3,454
Pro cameras are built using a higher standard

Heavy duty shutter, contacts, frame, weather proofing etc.  All of these things makes them stand up to more abuse which makes them a pro body.

Searching's gear list:Searching's gear list
Olympus E-M1 II Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12mm 1:2 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75mm F1.8 +2 more
CameraCarl Veteran Member • Posts: 5,914
Re: Pro cameras are built using a higher standard

I know a fine art photographer who sells images made with plastic cameras such as the Holga.  So you could argue that as he makes his living from his images, a Holga is a professional camera.  On the other hand, why get hung up with nomenclature?

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads