Is Phil Askey really gone from DPreview?

Started Nov 11, 2010 | Discussions
Shop cameras & lenses ▾
Jim Lowell Contributing Member • Posts: 714
Is Phil Askey really gone from DPreview?

I ask this after reading some posts here and there. If he has nothing to do
with DPR now, its kinda like the absent landlord in charge of the building and
being fired. Is DPR not based in England anymore?

digitalshooter
digitalshooter Forum Pro • Posts: 19,604
see this
 digitalshooter's gear list:digitalshooter's gear list
Sony Alpha DSLR-A700 Canon Pixma Pro9000 Mark II
Olga Johnson Forum Pro • Posts: 22,429
Re: Is Phil Askey really gone from DPreview?
 Olga Johnson's gear list:Olga Johnson's gear list
Canon PowerShot G3 X Canon EOS Rebel T4i Canon EOS M Canon EOS Rebel SL1 Canon EF 15mm f/2.8 Fisheye +17 more
Simon97
Simon97 Senior Member • Posts: 2,427
I'd say that Phil is living the dream

Start a business, grow the business, sell the business, reap the benefits.

The similar happened to my cousin. He and a friend partnershipped to start a business. Hard work and many 7 day weeks grew the business for 10 years. The business became very profitable and they were approached by an interested buyer. Even though he was the minority owner, he made several million. He was asked by the new owners to stay involved with the company since he knew how to run it and was paid handsomely to do so. After 1.5 years of this, he retired for good.

He now owns 4 properties, fancy cars and travels. Live the dream!

 Simon97's gear list:Simon97's gear list
Canon PowerShot A800 Nikon 1 J1 Nikon 1 S1
bikinchris
bikinchris Forum Pro • Posts: 19,017
Re: I'd say that Phil is living the dream

Good for him. Although I am sure many people are jealous.

Simon97 wrote:

Start a business, grow the business, sell the business, reap the benefits.

The similar happened to my cousin. He and a friend partnershipped to start a business. Hard work and many 7 day weeks grew the business for 10 years. The business became very profitable and they were approached by an interested buyer. Even though he was the minority owner, he made several million. He was asked by the new owners to stay involved with the company since he knew how to run it and was paid handsomely to do so. After 1.5 years of this, he retired for good.

He now owns 4 properties, fancy cars and travels. Live the dream!

-- hide signature --

“I’m not in this world to live up to your expectations and you’re not in this world to live up to mine.”
"The weak can never forgive. Forgiveness is the attribute of the strong."
“Showing off is the fool’s idea of glory.”

Chris, Broussard, LA

 bikinchris's gear list:bikinchris's gear list
Nikon D3 Nikon D4S Nikon AF-S Nikkor 17-35mm f/2.8D ED-IF Nikon AF-S Nikkor 28-70mm f/2.8 ED-IF Nikon AF-S Nikkor 200-400mm f/4G ED-IF VR +1 more
digitalshooter
digitalshooter Forum Pro • Posts: 19,604
yes his stay on period has prby ended and the golden chute opened (nt)
-- hide signature --

Thanks,

Digitalshooter

 digitalshooter's gear list:digitalshooter's gear list
Sony Alpha DSLR-A700 Canon Pixma Pro9000 Mark II
Phil Askey Veteran Member • Posts: 9,821
Re: Is Phil Askey really gone from DPreview?

Boo.

-- hide signature --

Phil Askey
Founder, dpreview.com

 Phil Askey's gear list:Phil Askey's gear list
Leica M8 Leica M9 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Canon EOS 5D Mark III Fujifilm X-T1 +11 more
tex Veteran Member • Posts: 6,862
Hoo, to you, too /nt

nada

 tex's gear list:tex's gear list
Sony Alpha 7R Pentax 645Z Tamron AF 28-75mm F/2.8 XR Di LD Aspherical (IF) Rokinon T-S 24mm F3.5 ED AS UMC +15 more
timiano Senior Member • Posts: 1,091
They forgot to disable your account?

:-)...our IT lot regularly do too.

Sidekicker Senior Member • Posts: 1,480
Re: Is Phil Askey really gone from DPreview?

I few weeks ago, one of my vendors, an old acquaintance of yours, came into town for a visit. During our time together, your name came up in conversation, and my guest had nothing but nice things to say about you. Neither one of us was aware of your current situation.

Thank you, and good luck with all your new endeavors!

 Sidekicker's gear list:Sidekicker's gear list
Canon PowerShot A620 Canon EOS 50D Canon EOS 60D Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM +3 more
ph0t0h1ker Regular Member • Posts: 443
I laughed with my head leaned back when I read that reply.

Funniest yet.

Vandyu Veteran Member • Posts: 8,787
Re: Is Phil Askey really gone from DPreview?

That's funny, Phil. Thanks for dropping in and letting us know you're still around, even if it's just you're ghost!
--
If Today is the First Day of the Rest of Your Life, How Will You Spend It?

 Vandyu's gear list:Vandyu's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Nikon D80 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6G ED-IF Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR II +9 more
Sturby Forum Member • Posts: 76
Re: Is Phil Askey really gone from DPreview?

All the Phil Askey asskissing is enough to make me ill. Is it just jealousy and envy of his fame, money and toys or some redeeming characteristics that you admire?

I tend to use other measures of persons character and integrity. My only experience with Phil was as a participant in his challenge #4. ( http://www.dpreview.com/challenges/Challenge.aspx?ID=1790 )

He disqualified my entry based on some assumption that it was contrary to the rules and failed to give any explanation. He also failed to respond to inquiries requesting an explanation. He also failed to disqualify entries that were reported as clearly not conforming to the rules. A fine high standard he set for future challenges and hosts.

Sorry, no donations to the fund to erect a monument in remembrance of the great Phil Askey will be coming from me.

Cheers~!

Charlie Self Veteran Member • Posts: 3,924
Re: Is Phil Askey really gone from DPreview?

Sturby wrote:

All the Phil Askey asskissing is enough to make me ill. Is it just jealousy and envy of his fame, money and toys or some redeeming characteristics that you admire?

I tend to use other measures of persons character and integrity. My only experience with Phil was as a participant in his challenge #4. ( http://www.dpreview.com/challenges/Challenge.aspx?ID=1790 )

He disqualified my entry based on some assumption that it was contrary to the rules and failed to give any explanation. He also failed to respond to inquiries requesting an explanation. He also failed to disqualify entries that were reported as clearly not conforming to the rules. A fine high standard he set for future challenges and hosts.

Sorry, no donations to the fund to erect a monument in remembrance of the great Phil Askey will be coming from me.

Bit down on some gall lately, eh?

-- hide signature --
linuxworks Forum Pro • Posts: 18,937
Re: Is Phil Askey really gone from DPreview?

Vandyu wrote:

That's funny, Phil. Thanks for dropping in and letting us know you're still around, even if it's just you're ghost!

could just be a cron job.

unless we see a photo of him holding a current newspaper, I'm thinking its just a cron job that wakes up every so often.

-- hide signature --
Sturby Forum Member • Posts: 76
Re: Is Phil Askey really gone from DPreview?

Was I supposed to candy-coat that for you?

bikinchris
bikinchris Forum Pro • Posts: 19,017
Re: Is Phil Askey really gone from DPreview?

Let's see the shot you entered that was DQ'd. Otherwise it didn't happen.

Sturby wrote:

All the Phil Askey asskissing is enough to make me ill. Is it just jealousy and envy of his fame, money and toys or some redeeming characteristics that you admire?

I tend to use other measures of persons character and integrity. My only experience with Phil was as a participant in his challenge #4. ( http://www.dpreview.com/challenges/Challenge.aspx?ID=1790 )

He disqualified my entry based on some assumption that it was contrary to the rules and failed to give any explanation. He also failed to respond to inquiries requesting an explanation. He also failed to disqualify entries that were reported as clearly not conforming to the rules. A fine high standard he set for future challenges and hosts.

Sorry, no donations to the fund to erect a monument in remembrance of the great Phil Askey will be coming from me.

Cheers~!

-- hide signature --

“I’m not in this world to live up to your expectations and you’re not in this world to live up to mine.”
"The weak can never forgive. Forgiveness is the attribute of the strong."
“Showing off is the fool’s idea of glory.”

Chris, Broussard, LA

 bikinchris's gear list:bikinchris's gear list
Nikon D3 Nikon D4S Nikon AF-S Nikkor 17-35mm f/2.8D ED-IF Nikon AF-S Nikkor 28-70mm f/2.8 ED-IF Nikon AF-S Nikkor 200-400mm f/4G ED-IF VR +1 more
Sturby Forum Member • Posts: 76
Re: Is Phil Askey really gone from DPreview?

bikinchris wrote:

Let's see the shot you entered that was DQ'd. Otherwise it didn't happen.

Have a look at it right here:

http://www.dpreview.com/challenges/Entry.aspx?ID=217627

Sturby Forum Member • Posts: 76
Re: Is Phil Askey really gone from DPreview?

I hope it happened now.

Sturby wrote:

bikinchris wrote:

Let's see the shot you entered that was DQ'd. Otherwise it didn't happen.

Have a look at it right here:
http://www.dpreview.com/challenges/Entry.aspx?ID=217627

Glen Barrington
Glen Barrington Forum Pro • Posts: 16,901
you mean Phil is REAL?

I thought he was like Betty Crocker, or something.
--

Don't feel too vindicated if I happen to agree with you today. Chances are we will disagree tomorrow. . .

Now that you've judged the quality of my typing, take a look at my photos. . .
http://glenbarrington.smugmug.com/
http://www.jpgmag.com/people/glenbarrington/photos

 Glen Barrington's gear list:Glen Barrington's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M10 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4.0-5.6 Olympus Zuiko Digital 14-54mm 1:2.8-3.5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 II R +11 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads