SD780IS lens error

Started Nov 6, 2010 | Discussions
keeponkeepingon Senior Member • Posts: 1,483
SD780IS lens error

Good morning Canon Talk!

My SD780IS has developed a "lens error". At least that's what the LCD reports when I try to turn it on.

On the one hand I'm happy it died. It's truley a horrible camera for taking pictures/videos of kids. I can't wait to get a different camera that at the minimum has a dedicated video record button and can take pictures during video (does canon have a P&S that does this?).

On the other hand I'm cheap and it is still in warranty.

Has anyone had luck getting canon to fix (on their dime) cameras that develop a "lens error"? Googling it looks like the chances are slim but I'd be interested in any experience getting "lens error" fixed under waranty on canon P&S.

Thanks!!!!!

keeponkeepingon's gear list:keeponkeepingon's gear list
Canon EOS 550D Canon EOS M Sony a6000 Sony a5100
ace sierra Junior Member • Posts: 38
Re: SD780IS lens error

I dropped my 940IS and the lens body would not retract. When I turned it on, it said "lens error". I called Canon's customer service and got the camera repaired without it costing me anything (other than the shipping cost). Of course I didn't tell them how it happened...just what the problem was. I'm not sure if they would have fixed it free of charge had I told them the problem was because of my clumsiness...

rude Senior Member • Posts: 2,262

id say send it to canon but ive seen recently refurbished sd780 for as low as 129. your choice. rl

keeponkeepingon wrote:

Good morning Canon Talk!

My SD780IS has developed a "lens error". At least that's what the LCD reports when I try to turn it on.

On the one hand I'm happy it died. It's truley a horrible camera for taking pictures/videos of kids. I can't wait to get a different camera that at the minimum has a dedicated video record button and can take pictures during video (does canon have a P&S that does this?).

Has anyone had luck getting canon to fix (on their dime) cameras that develop a "lens error"? Googling it looks like the chances are slim but I'd be interested in any experience getting "lens error" fixed under waranty on canon P&S.

Thanks!!!!!

-- hide signature --

been a photographer since the late 70s. i should have picked a less expensive hobby but i love it to death. rude

rude's gear list:rude's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12-50mm 1:3.5-6.3 EZ Olympus 30mm F3.5 Macro
rude Senior Member • Posts: 2,262

oh you might want to check out sx210 a very good cam with dedic. video button, iys awesome. rl

rude wrote:

id say send it to canon but ive seen recently refurbished sd780 for as low as 129. your choice. rl

keeponkeepingon wrote:

Good morning Canon Talk!

Thanks!!!!!

-- hide signature --

been a photographer since the late 70s. i should have picked a less expensive hobby but i love it to death. rude

rude's gear list:rude's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12-50mm 1:3.5-6.3 EZ Olympus 30mm F3.5 Macro
gnm72 New Member • Posts: 19

Hi.
Lens error is very comon with these type of cameras
See http://www.e18error.com/repair.html

OP keeponkeepingon Senior Member • Posts: 1,483

Canon refused to repair under waranty. Case had cosmetic scratches but the camera was working great until the lens just decided to quit.

Estimate for the repair came back as $139; canon offered a refurb for $149.

Both prices are ridiculous as the SD780IS has been selling new for $159 on amazon since last august and I only paid $169 for the camera brand new a year ago.

While any camera from any manufacturer can have issues I feel canon quality has really taken a dive in the past couple of years. I was never happy with the IQ of the SD780IS and I am very disappointed it died with a common error after a year. My old Canon S100 was solid as a rock and still works; my Powershot S50 was built like a tank, 5 years without a single issue on my XT but already I have a sticky control dial on my T2i. These newer cameras are more like my old casios: Cute, Lots of nifty features.... not built to last...

Based on this experience with canon, I picked up a Nikon P&S. There are tons of issues with it but so far I love the IQ, and the build seems solid (we'll see how it goes).

keeponkeepingon's gear list:keeponkeepingon's gear list
Canon EOS 550D Canon EOS M Sony a6000 Sony a5100
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads